Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for all the replies guys, I think after all I've read and look at it just is not worth it to me to fool with the /6. Based on cost and results I believe I'd be better off just putting a v8 in and forget it. So the hunt begins for the right donor vehicle with a 5.2/5.9 magnum and a518. I really think I'll be money ahead and much happier with the end results.
Thanks again.

You won't regret it. I put a 5.2 magnum into my jeep instead of wasting more money on the carbed 4.2 inline 6 it had. I did carb and distributor and while it ran better, it was still a bagged out POS. You can use any year of 5.2/5.9 engine, but you want 92-95 wiring, computer and sensors if you want to keep the EFI and 95 or earlier transmission. Mine's a 99 5.2 running on 95 electronics.

After 8 something years of upgrading and tuning my /6, I sold the motor and am in the process of putting in a 90k mile 2001 5.9 Magnum. I'm keeping the serpentine belt and fuel injection. For now, I'm going to run a non-lock-up 727. Later, I'll put in a well-built 46RH. Thats the one that's a non-computer controlled overdrive with lock up torque converter.

After searching around for FI solutions, I ended up using the factory FI with some upgrades, as it turns out to be the lowest cost option that still has considerable tuning capability. I'm using a custom "Hotrod" wiring harness from Hotwire Auto, a rebuilt 1998 Ram 1500 truck 5-speed computer without security, and a SCT Tuner with unlimited tuning from Hemi Fever. These three fuel injection items ran about $1450, but it is pretty much plug-and-play now AND has the benefit of being highly tunable due to the OBDII design. When compared to the cost to the next lowest price alternative for a tuneable FI set-up, it's not a bad solution.

A good used complete take-out 5.9 cost me $400, add to that a new cam, timing set, injector change, the resealing of the motor, Shumacher engine mounts, Summit headers, misc parts and a good rebuilt 727. I have yet to buy a radiator, drive shaft and all the rest of the little stuff, which all adds up.

Eventually, I'll pull the motor back out, put in a stroker kit and upgrade to aluminum heads and a better intake. After that, a turbo or belt driven supercharger. The benefit of the later OBDII system is that all these changes can be quickly accomodated by simply using a wideband and the SCT to reprogram the computer.

Fortunately, I got a good price for my complete Slant set-up to offset most of the swap cost.

My point is, the cost to convert my car over to a good running fuel injected 5.9 Magnum is still below how much I put in my slanty over the years to get it to run really well. It was a fun motor and surprised a lot of people with it's performance for a slant 6, but it was just not satisfying enough at the end of the day.

Last edited by jbc426; 11/15/12 01:28 PM.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)