FWIW, I was re-curving my slanty's distributor. You know, welding up the advance slots and then filing them back with a small chain saw file that fit just right. It took about 6 tries to find where the motor liked it best.

In my case, one of the greatest low rpm & midrange driveability improvements I made was to recurve the distributor. Mine ended up liking to be set at 25 initial with 32-34 total total. The started never kicked back, it never gas knocked and it really transformed how the car ran off idle and into the midrange. The top end never changed, which is to be expected, as the total timing remained the same.

I also routed the vacuum advance to manifold vacuum. which brings the timing up into the mid 40's at idle and cruise etc. Of course it immediately drops back toward 32 when the throttle is opened.

This was really a game changing adjustment for my motor. It pissed off a lot of close minded, know-it-all guys who have never tried it, but swore it would never work over on the slant 6 forum.

Give it a try, you can always file the slots longer and run less initial if you find it doesn't work for your ride.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)