Moparts

/6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it

Posted By: adventurer

/6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/13/12 02:33 PM

I have an 85 D100 with a /6 1barrel. The truck is nicknamed "The Gutless Wonder" because it won't get out of it's own way. There is no power at all. You basically have to keep it floored to try to run 70mph interstate speed. So I am looking to upgrade a little in the power department. Now I'm not looking to make a hot rod just some reasonable, usable power. I am giving some thought to tring to go to a 2 barrel setup rather than the 1 barrel it came with. My question is, Is it worth the effort or should I just v-8 the truck and forget the old slant six? Will I get a fair amount more power out of the trouble going to two barrel,because of all the linkage change etc... to make it worth it? Anybody did this and have any insite.
Thanks
Posted By: GMP440

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/13/12 02:54 PM

I would definetly put a v-8 in it. Just putting a 318 will wake it up. 318's are cheap and lots of people give those away. Also, you can go one step further and do a nice 360 for it. Either a 318 or 360 you'll enjoy driving the truck that much more.
Posted By: VincentVega

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/13/12 03:06 PM

Then it's either worn out, or something is wrong with it. It could be nothing more than worn out plugs, wires, have retarded timing, need a carb rebuild, etc. Do you maintain it, change the oil, or has it been run into the ground? Does it have a huge exhaust leak? Does it miss? You should barely be off idle to cruise at 70, even in a slant six.

Sure, you can put another motor in, but it would be a lot easier and cheaper to fix up what you got if it just needs some attention.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/13/12 03:19 PM

Slant sixes are gutless, mine won't pull a loaded 24' enclosed car trailer.

It will pull a 4000lb plus '67 Hemi Charger on a 2000lb trailer and it's pulled a 5500lb John Deere tractor on the same trailer before.

Then again, I did upgrade to a 2bbl Super Six BBD so I cheated.
It gets 20mpg hwy @65mph where my old 318 would only do 17mpg.
If your going to V8 it, why not go 440? Compared to a big block, small blocks are gutless! Remember, everything is relative.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/13/12 03:39 PM

i had a /6 in a A-100 van had no prob. cruisin 80 mph.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/13/12 03:42 PM

What Vincent said I'd at least diagnose it & see if it's just worn out or if it has an easily fixable problem. You have other V8 trucks in your sig so you know what's involved in swapping and the power increase you'll have when you're done. Myself if I had several trucks I wouldn't mind keeping one with a /6 but I would want the eng to be in pretty good shape
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/13/12 03:49 PM

If you wanna go with the normal wave of people but the Sixes are better on fuel if you get it just right. 1bbl IS a gutless wonder...my 70 Dart had a 225 1bbl. I swapped out to a 2bbl Cast Iron intake and put a 2bbl 500cfm...ran better...not great. I swapped out the cast iron and found a 4bbl Offy Aluminum and ran a 4bbl 390cfm. Ran better and was content...Then I swapped out the atrocious exhaust manifold. Put in the 6-to-1 MP header...Ran better...not great...the #4 pipe had to be crushed to fit the steering pump. Eventually switched out to the Clifford Tri-Y Dual headers. Breathed ALOT better. Sent out a spare cylinder head and had it rebuilt. 5 angle valve job, new large valves (1.61/1.34 IIRC), mild Porting...I wanted to put 5/16" vave stems from a Ford but the guy said it was wasted money. Bolted it on....difference was night and day. Had to get rid of the 390cfm Holley....tossed it and went with a 500cfm Edelbrock.....I broke the rear end. 3 of the 4 spyder gears went bye bye. Don't underestimate the power of a slant. I was taking out small blocks with mine and I was the only muscle car on the road in my area during the gas crunch of 2002/2003. Went back and forth from LA to Vegas on numerous occasions.

If you are worried about the linkage, switch to a Lokar for the kickdown or go one and done with a Bouchillion Kit that you can use from a Slant to an RB and set that throttle/kickdown any way you see fit.

While you are up to changing things (If you keep the Slant) put in a remote oil filter. I hated bathing my suspension in oil at every oil change

More pics on the link in my signature but..

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/13/12 03:57 PM

That's an awesome setup. I had a Clifford 4 bbl intake on my /6. We fabbed our own carb adapter out of a phenolic blank, and turned it 90 degrees so the primaries were parallel and closest to the driver's fender. I specifically wanted to do this for improved distribution and drivability. Finally, we used chrome drain pipe inserted into the primary holes of the adapter, down into the plenum (not quite to the bottom), and cut them on an angle so as to make the center cylinders' pull from the carb a little bit longer, like the outer cylinders.

It worked great. Carb was from a 273. It was all experimental. A little too much CFM, but it was fine if you waited until about ~3000 to open it wide. We eventually put a (noisy) 3.55 suregrip in it (up from 2.94 w/ wide ratio 904), that made it real fun.

Like you, I started with the super six 2 barrel setup from the pick-yer-part. With an open element air cleaner, it was fun, but the extra 10 or 15 hp wasn't enough.

It was still slow.. but it was ridiculously fun to drive.

The kickdown linkage I kept stock, believe it or not. I had this interesting setup where I had a stock location mount for the kickdown rod up by the carb, and I used a spare throttle cable to translate the motion from the 90 degree rotation back to where it would normally be. It made the pedal a bit hard to push (lol,) but it worked.

I had digital pictures of this. Probably sounds like I'm full of crap.. it was on my college server and I never re-saved them again before they killed my account after grad. oh well. i still have all the parts..
Posted By: jbc426

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/13/12 04:17 PM

I ran a slanty for years in my '68. It ran very well for a slant, but it would only pull down 16 to 18 mpg on the highway at 75mph and 13 to 14mpg around town.

I had a two bbl, slightly ported head with oversized valves, an RV grind cam, bumped-up compression and Dutra Duals. In fact, the motor was done by Doug Dutra.

Like I say, it ran great, but I always wanted more. I ended up pulling it to put in a 2001 360 Magnum with fuel injection and some other mods. I expect to get way more power and equivelant or better mileage when my foot is out of it.

Attached picture 7460429-100_0080(Large).JPG

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/13/12 04:21 PM

Dutra duals! I also have a set of those, never put on yet. Those are rare, not many have them.

This thread is making my head spin a little. I have an aluminum 225 in my garage, packed away. I was going to put it into the car with the 4 bbl I was just referring to (an 81 police dippy) but life got in the way.

I like your fuel line treatment
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/13/12 04:36 PM

FYI, Doug is still selling Dutra Duals.

OP-as said before, make sure the motor is in proper tune and good condition before you give up.

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/13/12 05:10 PM

Quote:

FYI, Doug is still selling Dutra Duals.

I was gonna say...I hope Doug didn't pass on...I used to be pretty avid on SlantSix.org

I wasn't intending on selling my Dart...My next upgrade was the Hyper Pak. I love that look plus the added plenum would have given me a bit more bottom end. As for the rest of the driveline...it was 10:1 motor, Isky Cam with .248 lift I think..904 Trans with a shift kit...8 3/4 out of a B-Body with 3.23s. All in all it was a great experience...if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't miss a beat doing it just like I did so i could learn what the recipe should be. If I had to change any ONE thing...I was gathering up schematics for a Turbo...as you say...Life got in the way....and she now lives in Sydney Australia with her new owner and she is getting prepped for a 383.
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/13/12 05:26 PM

I have an intake and kickdown if you decide to go with a 2bbl

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/13/12 06:35 PM

Thanks for all the replies so far. As far as the condition of the engine, truck now has 92,000 on it. Engine is very quite and use no oil to speak of. No engine miss at all. Plugs and wires have been changed at some point and time but not recent. Oil is changed at 3000 miles by me can't really speak for previous owner. Carb is junk though. Cranks right up cold but once it gets warm you have to crank for a little while and floor the fuel pedal to get it to start. When the truck is warm and say you stop somewhere get out and then come back a few minutes later there is a strong smell of fuel. So I am sure the carb needs work and that's where my delima lies. Do I spend the money to fix the 1 barrel because the 2 barrel wouldn't be that much of an improvment or just say forget it all and spend the money on small blocking the truck. I like what pyper70 did there will have to do a little parts researching on that to see whats available. Thanks again
Posted By: njdevil2

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/13/12 07:43 PM

Just to add more "fuel" to this fire...
I know this is ancient history at this point, but I ran my Demon 225 in Stock NHRA at Englishtown. Took out quite a few small blocks ('74-'82). The national record was 15.2 @ 83 mph at the time. I got it down to 16.92 @ 82 mph and still street driven. Specs' (to my recollection): +30, stock spec/blueprint cam, aluminum 1 bbl intake, hooker headers, 904 manual shift, stock stall converter, 4.10 7.25 rear.
Car weighed in about 3300# wet & loaded. Consistantly in the points for 6 years.
Obviously, if I had a converter, blueprinted the head it would have been faster.. I did play with dual Holley 1 bbls and it felt faster, but I ouldn't prove it. the slantys can be real torquey for sure. This is interesting, cuz I was just reading an article in Mopar Action about /6 vs small blocks. Bottom line, 318's and 360's are cheap and plentiful and cubic inches trump uber alles...I did love my 225, just the lure of a 340 won out .....

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/13/12 07:43 PM

FWIW, I was re-curving my slanty's distributor. You know, welding up the advance slots and then filing them back with a small chain saw file that fit just right. It took about 6 tries to find where the motor liked it best.

In my case, one of the greatest low rpm & midrange driveability improvements I made was to recurve the distributor. Mine ended up liking to be set at 25 initial with 32-34 total total. The started never kicked back, it never gas knocked and it really transformed how the car ran off idle and into the midrange. The top end never changed, which is to be expected, as the total timing remained the same.

I also routed the vacuum advance to manifold vacuum. which brings the timing up into the mid 40's at idle and cruise etc. Of course it immediately drops back toward 32 when the throttle is opened.

This was really a game changing adjustment for my motor. It pissed off a lot of close minded, know-it-all guys who have never tried it, but swore it would never work over on the slant 6 forum.

Give it a try, you can always file the slots longer and run less initial if you find it doesn't work for your ride.

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/13/12 08:21 PM

At the time of all my modifications...I had 4 383s in the garage...two 440s....and I went out purposely and bought a 340 to make a 340 Swinger clone. The Slant prevailed because it was the underdog. I sold the 383s...both 440s went into both Chargers and the 340 was sold for quite the return on investment. I had all the parts there....and still didn't follow through...Now even Slant parts are scarce and slowly rising in price.

If you start wanting crazy parts for the Slant look up Cox Bros out of Ohio...I remember buying bearings, timing sets, rocker arms etc..not cheap...but they were made in the USA
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/13/12 09:19 PM

Either just V8 it and don't flush money down the toilet on the slant or simply find a good 1bbl carb to put on it and live with it. I would be searching for a 92-95 dodge 2wd truck or ram van with the 5.2 or 5.9 magnum. 2wd 5.2's are not that hard to find. Drop the motor and trans into your truck. You will get double the power with same or better mpg with the 5.2 and the overdrive transmission. I say 92-95 because those are the easiest years to retrofit into your ride. 96+ the transmission and computer changed making the swap much more difficult.
Posted By: 375inStroke

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/13/12 11:11 PM

Friend's /6 '67 Barracuda ran 20 in the quarter. Put a 2bbl and header on and ran 18sec in the quarter, but his gas mileage dropped from somewhere in the 20s, to 14mpg. Went 360, gas mileage stayed the same, but now in the 14s. Then went 440, and same mileage, in the 14s still, but a lot faster MPH. He couldn't hook, but a lot more fun to drive. These were all with bone stock, worn out motors, except for the /6 header.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/13/12 11:31 PM

Quote:

Either just V8 it and don't flush money down the toilet on the slant or simply find a good 1bbl carb to put on it and live with it.

no disrespect intended to those inventive souls that hotrod there slanties, but there is no way that's cost effective. 318's and 360's are cheap and you'll get twice the power for half the cost.

Dave

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/13/12 11:48 PM

Quote:

Either just V8 it and don't flush money down the toilet on the slant or simply find a good 1bbl carb to put on it and live with it. I would be searching for a 92-95 dodge 2wd truck or ram van with the 5.2 or 5.9 magnum. 2wd 5.2's are not that hard to find. Drop the motor and trans into your truck. You will get double the power with same or better mpg with the 5.2 and the overdrive transmission. I say 92-95 because those are the easiest years to retrofit into your ride. 96+ the transmission and computer changed making the swap much more difficult.

I don't disagree with your post. in 2002 when I was doing this, the mods really weren't out there or cost effective at the time...Now they are. I would love to build a Slant Turbo setup one day but again, as aforementioned, you can't also not take into account the mpg of a 5.9L and the towing capability, the longevity of parts. You can buy a new part instead of scouring the boneyards looking for that linkage extension...and sometimes...its the same price.

I sometimes wish that I didn't bolt a CH28 to my 440 and instead gone with an EFI Setup. But it is notoriety, its being different....and thats what this is all about.
Posted By: Winchester 73

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/14/12 03:38 AM

Quote:

and if you buy his two barrel ill toss you a little cash for youe one barrel setup
Posted By: Winchester 73

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/14/12 03:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

and if you buy his two barrel ill toss you a little cash for youe one barrel setup

i had a long bed dodge with a 3 speed stick electric fan recurved dist and not much else and it woild smoke really wide tires!

is yours a 727?if so its eating lots of power.
got smog pump?
got cat vonv?
80s had smaller hydr cams iirc

the fun thing about slants is that you feel evrything you touch.2bbl swap nets about 10% power improvement!ever put a junkyard intake on a smallblock and get a 40 horsepower improvement?a slant six will teach you discipline with not throwing power in the trash.with a slant six a person learns what a hundred hp really is and what can be done with it.

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/14/12 04:24 AM

I have a 1bbl intake/carb also on a 3spd/od truck. The whole motor is available
Posted By: Pale_Roader

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/14/12 01:29 PM

Quote:

the fun thing about slants is that you feel evrything you touch.2bbl swap nets about 10% power improvement!ever put a junkyard intake on a smallblock and get a 40 horsepower improvement?a slant six will teach you discipline with not throwing power in the trash.with a slant six a person learns what a hundred hp really is and what can be done with it.

Hahahahahaha. That might mean a bit more if we weren't dealing with cars that start with 3000lb curb weights...

But i get what you mean.

My 70 Challenger was born with and retains it original 225/3speed. I want to daily drive it ASAP, but the budget keeps getting in the way. Even the stingiest ov welfare V8 swaps (and i have ALL the parts) is going to end up costing me. I bought the car because it was a slant-six car... but the more desperate i get the more i'm starting to wish it was even a 318 car. Too much to do.

I've swatted around the idea ov driving the 225 for now... but the power... even with the above mods... is going to get old in about 7 minutes. To really wake it up is going to cost more than just dropping my V8 in there... and its still gonna sound like an outboard motor on an [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] canoe.

I keep clicking on all these slant six threads hoping for some easy solution or 'demon tweak' to make it viable... but you guys just aren't helping! Hahahahaha

The fact my brother went ALL-OUT on his 69 Valiant's 225 (ported head, big solid, header, exhaust elect ign, big carb, 4bbl intake, balance/blueprinted, serious compression, blah blah) and still ended up with a slow car that got horrible mileage doesn't help. Fun car. Really fun. Sounded neat (and i wont admit that to too many people), very well tuned and driven... but certainly not worth the money. Clifford has it right... 6 CAN equal 8. What he doesn't tell you is that it equals a 225cid V8.... which... would still be slow.

I'll still keep clicking on these threads... maybe someone will convince me yet to keep the 6...

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/14/12 01:29 PM

And i cannot believe this stupid filter edited that. Come ON...
Posted By: Magnumguy

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/14/12 03:31 PM

I have an 81 Cordoba, teetering on whether to sell it or mess with it some. 1 barrel slanty, not really peppy and I believe the carb's the issue. Runs fine, but has hot start issues also

"some" have said the Carter is inferior to the Holley 1 barrel. Any insight on that?

Mine does the ~starts easy, but when it's hot, loads up bad and you have to "clean" it out when restarting~ issue.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/14/12 03:43 PM

Quote:

Mine does the ~starts easy, but when it's hot, loads up bad and you have to "clean" it out when restarting~ issue.

Might check the needle/seat and the float. A new needle/seat if you can get one seperately might get you taken care of for cheap which'll benefit you whether you decide to keep it or sell it or even a kit shouldn't be too much

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/14/12 04:15 PM

Sounds like heat soak. For what it's worth, I'd take a carter over a holley any day of the week, but that's a matter of opinion.

What you describe sounds like heat soak. This can be really bad on a slant six because the exhaust manifold is physically bolted to the intake. so when you shut down, obviously the intake gets scalding, and so does the carb. my '81 was a factory one bbl, and it had a nice heat shield that went between the carb and covered quite a bit of the intake, and hence blocked heat from the exhaust manifold. You might want to look for something like that. From another point of view, my car had horrendous starting issues, but we traced it back to a vapor recovery issue and a problem with the fuel tank rollover valve.

Also, I highly suggest wrapping the fuel line to keep excessive heat out of that.

Last, that's a lot of car for a 225, it's never going to get out of its own way. Now, you could do something fun, like make a carb box and put a turbo on... boosted stock 225s can make torque that rival diesels (still don't get a lot of HP though with stock cam and head). but with 400 ft lbs, you'll still move out.

To me, the 225 had great low range torque, like right off idle. but absolutely no throttle response. So, while they do fine around town, or passing someone on the highway without having to kick down, the torque is all you have. if you push the pedal to the floor, it really has nothing more to give. that's just a function of the (relatively) small cubes, the gearing, the weight, and so on.

If you want it to sound faster, flip the lid.
Posted By: ThermoQuad

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/14/12 05:59 PM

Timing chain is stretched so the cam timing is "late". Very common in slantie's with orig parts

The 2bbl set up and a distributor re curve is the hot ticket.
Posted By: Hooligan

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/14/12 07:26 PM

I have an '81 D-150 stepside with a /6, A-833 OD tranny and a 3.54 gear. I is mechanically sound but, it is incredibly slow! I will be swapping it over to a 360 six pack this year. That is the only "SIX" that I want attached to my gas pedal! I figured, why modify the /6 six and still have to listen to that awful 6 cylinder exhaust note...YUCK! Plus the fact that the /6 did not get tremendous gas mileage anyway!

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/14/12 07:32 PM

The exhaust note is one of those acquired tastes, to be sure. I have a /6 Volare Duster I used to tool around my property with. Muffler delete option. My sister said it sounded like an "angry warthog."

On the other hand, the intake sound can be quite nice, and it was much louder on my 4bbl setup than the exhaust. that part sounded V8'ish. It was loud enough to attract attention and the occasional would-be-racer.

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/14/12 08:02 PM

Quote:

why modify the /6 six and still have to listen to that awful 6 cylinder exhaust note...YUCK!

I dunno what you are talking about...My slant was always purring like a kitten and had a nasty bite

Slant 6 70' Dart Exhaust lope at idle
Posted By: vynn3

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/14/12 09:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

why modify the /6 six and still have to listen to that awful 6 cylinder exhaust note...YUCK!

I dunno what you are talking about...My slant was always purring like a kitten and had a nasty bite

My Swinger with Dutra Duals sounds like a WWII fighter plane on the highway. LOVE it!

If I wanna hear another V-8, I can listen to just about any pickup truck in Texas.

vm
Posted By: dogdays

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/14/12 09:47 PM

A 4000 lb pickup and a 100 hp engine makes for a slow ride.
I don't mind the idea of a six, but the long stroke 225 sounds thrashy to me, I don't care what exhaust one runs. Little pistons traveling way too far per revolution.
My only slant six experience was my grandpa's '64 Valiant. After he died we got to drive Grandma on long trips to see her other grandchildren. I don't remember getting over 23 mpg at 70. Long trips on the Interstate were murder. That constant commotion from under the hood drove me nuts. This was on a properly-maintained car with 65,000 miles on it.
Also consider that it's a 4 main bearing engine. While that may have been enough in the '30s, 7 main bearings make a much stouter bottom end for turbocharging, and that is how I see a slant six being useful. Throw about 10 pounds of boost on it and suddenly you don't have to rev the @#4% out of it to get somewhere. The manifolds are both on the same side and the slant configuration makes for a neat setup. But there's no way it would be less expensive than a $100 roller cam 318 from a Fifth Avenue, and would probably get the same mileage.

R.

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/14/12 10:10 PM

I think the Dutra Duels are rather pricey when headers can be had for less to a little more.

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/14/12 10:53 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys, I think after all I've read and looked at it just is not worth it to me to fool with the /6. Based on cost and results I believe I'd be better off just putting a v8 in and forget it. So the hunt begins for the right donor vehicle with a 5.2/5.9 magnum and a518. I really think I'll be money ahead and much happier with the end results.
Thanks again.
Posted By: patrick

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/14/12 10:57 PM

I'm kind of a slant fan, but for a truck, I'd probably swap a '94-01 magnum 318 in there with a 600 cfm carb and never look back.....you'll probably get as good of mileage at highway speeds, and more than double your HP (my duster's slant was rated at 101HP net in 1976)
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/15/12 01:05 AM

Quote:

Thanks for all the replies guys, I think after all I've read and look at it just is not worth it to me to fool with the /6. Based on cost and results I believe I'd be better off just putting a v8 in and forget it. So the hunt begins for the right donor vehicle with a 5.2/5.9 magnum and a518. I really think I'll be money ahead and much happier with the end results.
Thanks again.

You won't regret it. I put a 5.2 magnum into my jeep instead of wasting more money on the carbed 4.2 inline 6 it had. I did carb and distributor and while it ran better, it was still a bagged out POS. You can use any year of 5.2/5.9 engine, but you want 92-95 wiring, computer and sensors if you want to keep the EFI and 95 or earlier transmission. Mine's a 99 5.2 running on 95 electronics.
Posted By: Hooligan

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/15/12 04:14 AM

Yours sounded good...mine sounds like a psychotic goat with it's tail on fire! I have two Aero turbine mufflers on my /6, but they are connected to a 2 into 1 pipe...which is why it is so irritating!
It should sound sweet when they are behind the 360 with headers! (he said with a nice sounding tone in his voice)
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/15/12 07:02 AM

Any slanters need to be here www.slantsix.org

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/15/12 11:00 AM

Quote:

My only slant six experience was my grandpa's '64 Valiant. After he died we got to drive Grandma on long trips to see her other grandchildren. I don't remember getting over 23 mpg at 70. Long trips on the Interstate were murder. That constant commotion from under the hood drove me nuts.

Hah! Awesome. That made me laugh...

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/15/12 04:02 PM

Not relevant, but I'll leave this here for fun. How about a /6 that makes more HP than a 340-6 pack (advertised)

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0602_chrysler_slant_six_engine/photo_02.html

impressive power curve

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0602_chrysler_slant_six_engine/viewall.html

200 CFM on the intake side, on a ported factory head!!

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/15/12 04:05 PM

the slant in my duster is perfectly adequate with an A833OD and 3.23's and 25" tires....decent acceleration and not too buzzy keeping up with 70mph traffic. with 2.76's and a 904, I'd probably want to drop kick the motor as far as I could. can only imagine what it'd be like in a 400-800 lb heavier vehicle

although after having my '11 charger for a year now, the slanty is feeling quite underpowered, especially in 2-way backroad passing situations.

a 3.6L pentastar in front of my tranny/axle combo would rock in the duster....would probably hit the 13's and get an additional 2-3mpg over even the slanty....

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/15/12 04:48 PM

Vincent I like your slanted opinions!
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/15/12 04:54 PM

I had an old 71 Dart /6 with a 904. I milled the head ~.080 and hand ported it and used a 2 bbl 318 on the old aluminum manifold with a 6 into 1 JR header and a single 2 1/4" exhaust with a dynomax turbo. Stock solid cam. It was pretty quick for what it was and got better MPG than the old 1 bbl stocker.

I built it only because it was the only mill in the Mopar family I hadn't tackled at the time ~25 yrs ago.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/15/12 05:14 PM

Quote:

Not relevant, but I'll leave this here for fun. How about a /6 that makes more HP than a 340-6 pack (advertised)

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0602_chrysler_slant_six_engine/photo_02.html

impressive power curve

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0602_chrysler_slant_six_engine/viewall.html

200 CFM on the intake side, on a ported factory head!!

proves the old adage; ANYTHING can be made to be fast!

Dave

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/15/12 05:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for all the replies guys, I think after all I've read and look at it just is not worth it to me to fool with the /6. Based on cost and results I believe I'd be better off just putting a v8 in and forget it. So the hunt begins for the right donor vehicle with a 5.2/5.9 magnum and a518. I really think I'll be money ahead and much happier with the end results.
Thanks again.

You won't regret it. I put a 5.2 magnum into my jeep instead of wasting more money on the carbed 4.2 inline 6 it had. I did carb and distributor and while it ran better, it was still a bagged out POS. You can use any year of 5.2/5.9 engine, but you want 92-95 wiring, computer and sensors if you want to keep the EFI and 95 or earlier transmission. Mine's a 99 5.2 running on 95 electronics.

After 8 something years of upgrading and tuning my /6, I sold the motor and am in the process of putting in a 90k mile 2001 5.9 Magnum. I'm keeping the serpentine belt and fuel injection. For now, I'm going to run a non-lock-up 727. Later, I'll put in a well-built 46RH. Thats the one that's a non-computer controlled overdrive with lock up torque converter.

After searching around for FI solutions, I ended up using the factory FI with some upgrades, as it turns out to be the lowest cost option that still has considerable tuning capability. I'm using a custom "Hotrod" wiring harness from Hotwire Auto, a rebuilt 1998 Ram 1500 truck 5-speed computer without security, and a SCT Tuner with unlimited tuning from Hemi Fever. These three fuel injection items ran about $1450, but it is pretty much plug-and-play now AND has the benefit of being highly tunable due to the OBDII design. When compared to the cost to the next lowest price alternative for a tuneable FI set-up, it's not a bad solution.

A good used complete take-out 5.9 cost me $400, add to that a new cam, timing set, injector change, the resealing of the motor, Shumacher engine mounts, Summit headers, misc parts and a good rebuilt 727. I have yet to buy a radiator, drive shaft and all the rest of the little stuff, which all adds up.

Eventually, I'll pull the motor back out, put in a stroker kit and upgrade to aluminum heads and a better intake. After that, a turbo or belt driven supercharger. The benefit of the later OBDII system is that all these changes can be quickly accomodated by simply using a wideband and the SCT to reprogram the computer.

Fortunately, I got a good price for my complete Slant set-up to offset most of the swap cost.

My point is, the cost to convert my car over to a good running fuel injected 5.9 Magnum is still below how much I put in my slanty over the years to get it to run really well. It was a fun motor and surprised a lot of people with it's performance for a slant 6, but it was just not satisfying enough at the end of the day.

Attached picture 7463224-Misc053(Large).jpg

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/15/12 05:30 PM

I think the naturally aspirated /6 is just something to play with to see what you can do. I have plans in my head for something no one should do. Like I mentioned, I have an entire aluminum engine - they are open deck and known to not seal well.

So my bright idea, naturally, is to put a turbo on it. Nothing major. I always thought I could get away with a mild cam (maybe a custom grind heavy on the exhaust), porting, and perhaps 10psi max. Maybe I could find someone silly enough to try to oring it for me. It won't be wild, but I bet it could be made to run like a 300+ci /6 with lots of area under the curve.

and a turbo would muffle the angry warthog exhaust

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/15/12 08:54 PM

I'll raise the stakes....if I could ever get my hands on the 265cid Aussie Hemi Straight 6...I would love to have that instead...

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/16/12 04:57 AM

Going to high of compression with the alloy block will result in failure. Maybe even in the 10.1 range. Doc had one poop out on him. Might need to weld a deck to stabilize the liners.
Posted By: michiganhotrod1

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/17/12 04:01 AM

I was a Chrysler service rep when those trucks were new; sold as the Ram "Miser". The automatic version was marginal, and the 4 speed (3 + overdrive) was pitiful. However, they had extremely tall rear end gearing (2.70), which was one of the main causes of the gutless performance. This was also near the end of the line for the slant, as emissions with carburetors had sucked what life there was out of these engines.
If it is an O/D trans, a rear end swap would wake it up a bunch without destroying fuel economy. Also helps to have a properly working carb.
Even if you do swap to a v-8, you need to do something about that differential.
Mark

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/17/12 12:04 PM

Quote:

I was a Chrysler service rep when those trucks were new; sold as the Ram "Miser". The automatic version was marginal, and the 4 speed (3 + overdrive) was pitiful. However, they had extremely tall rear end gearing (2.70), which was one of the main causes of the gutless performance. This was also near the end of the line for the slant, as emissions with carburetors had sucked what life there was out of these engines.
If it is an O/D trans, a rear end swap would wake it up a bunch without destroying fuel economy. Also helps to have a properly working carb.
Even if you do swap to a v-8, you need to do something about that differential.
Mark

Funny... i have a 76 Pinto 'MPG' model... with a 2.3L, 4-speed (non-OD) and highway gears. It actually gets pretty damn good mileage, even compared to other Pintos ov similar years... but ONLY if you drive it like a granny and stay out ov it. Detroit was definitely just taking a shotgun approach to efficiency back then... they didn't quite get it, even when they tried. The problem with my 'MPG' or your truck is that when you need to go somewhere... NOW... you've got to dent the floorpan and hold it there... and the mileage goes out the window.

A particular example ov my (well-running) Pinto failing its 'MPG' destiny... was taking a drive up the Kelowna Connector... this rather long, heavy-grade hill that goes on forever. I had to stay in 2nd gear the whole way because the car would not pull 3rd. I could even wring it out to redline, powershift into 3rd and i'd be losing altitude immediately. 22mph... on a major highway... in 2nd gear, almost 30 minutes. That cost quite a bit ov gas...

My brothers hotrod-6 69 Valiant was always 'on'... he needed to flog it to go fast... and that thing had utterly atrocious gas-mileage. It even had 3.21's and an OD 833...

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/19/12 01:09 PM

Quote:

My brothers hotrod-6 69 Valiant was always 'on'... he needed to flog it to go fast... and that thing had utterly atrocious gas-mileage. It even had 3.21's and an OD 833...

that's the driveline my duster has, with the stock slant 6...even foot to floor for a whole tank, I've never gotten worse than 19mpg with it in the 21 years I've had the car, and typically get 24-26mpg a tank in mixed driving...but passing on a 2 lane road does take a little planning, especially compared to my '11 charger....

I really would love to try a stock 5.7L in my duster behind that driveline....bet mileage would be about the same, but it would probably be a high 12 second car...

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/20/12 10:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

that's the driveline my duster has, with the stock slant 6...even foot to floor for a whole tank, I've never gotten worse than 19mpg with it in the 21 years I've had the car, and typically get 24-26mpg a tank in mixed driving...but passing on a 2 lane road does take a little planning, especially compared to my '11 charger....

I really would love to try a stock 5.7L in my duster behind that driveline....bet mileage would be about the same, but it would probably be a high 12 second car...

Yeah... just like my Pinto, even 'bad' mileage is still pretty damn good. How stock was your engine though? My brother had a 525 Demon on an aluminum Clifford, ported head, shaved head and block (at least 10:1 true CR,probably more... it hated 94 octane), Comps biggest solid cam, that hokey-ass 6-into-1 Mopar header, 2.5" mandrel pipe all the way back into a Borla, electronic ignition, recurved distributor, no accessories, etc. It was also lowered quite a bit, and had pretty small tires (225/60-15's up front), 2800lbs curb. It was a nice combo, and well-tuned, but definitely older-school than some here. Certainly not how i would build a hot 225 anyways.
Posted By: 440beeper

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/21/12 02:04 AM

We used to tow fighter planes with tugs powered by /6 motors...those motors were pretty bulletproof. While a V8 would be more cost effective for more power, I have a soft spot for /6 motors. The hot-rod /6 motors are pretty unique... even if they aren't the quickest, they're cool in their own way,

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/21/12 12:38 PM

Quote:

We used to tow fighter planes with tugs powered by /6 motors...those motors were pretty bulletproof. While a V8 would be more cost effective for more power, I have a soft spot for /6 motors. The hot-rod /6 motors are pretty unique... even if they aren't the quickest, they're cool in their own way,

We had inline 6 Ford's in our TUGs at FedEx on the ramp. They were a hoot to drive. I have gotten a few of them to pop wheelies. Got in trouble a few times for it too. The TUG was governed at 15mph. still weighed about 2500lbs and I know I could pull 4 J-Cans with dollies...thats roughtly 3800lbs per can and 1200 per dolly...that comes to about 20,000 pounds. You can't argue with that workhorse.

Re: /6 1barrel to 2 barrel or just v8 it and forget it - 11/21/12 02:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

We had inline 6 Ford's in our TUGs at FedEx on the ramp. They were a hoot to drive. I have gotten a few of them to pop wheelies. Got in trouble a few times for it too. The TUG was governed at 15mph. still weighed about 2500lbs and I know I could pull 4 J-Cans with dollies...thats roughtly 3800lbs per can and 1200 per dolly...that comes to about 20,000 pounds. You can't argue with that workhorse.

with enough gearing, a briggs and stratton lawn mower engine could tow a semi truck....
© 2024 Moparts Forums