Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Moparts Question and Answer
05/11/24 01:51 AM
Originally Posted by poorboy
Originally Posted by MONC
So have a lot of other stuff going on, but did get a chance to get a grounding strap from motor to body installed in factory location. Double checked with meter and got good ground. Also double checked VR ground and it is good as well. I also removed leads from ammeter, cleaned them up and then installed an aftermarket ammeter using those leads ( was thinking maybe it was the gauge itself).

Good news is that seemed to solve the problem, got 14.4V at battery idling, and all other voltages were consistent, and gauge didn't peg to charge when revved.

But I couldn't leave well enough alone. I'd prefer to use the car's ammeter , so I re connected cleaned leads to gauge, restarted car and voltage dropped to similar reading of 12.5V at battery idling.
So I thought 'ok it was the gauge' . So I reconnected aftermarket gauge with those leads, and my voltage stayed the same at 12.5V and change at idle.

Rechecked connections, even took off bulkhead connectors (again), cleaned and reassembled again, no change.
So back to square one.

So, when you moved the wiring under the dash to reconnect the factory Amp gauge, and things changed, it would lead me to believe you either shifted a poor or loose connection that may have been ok before you moved it. It may be time to start giggling each wire under the dash. I would start at the dash and move towards the bulk head connector, one wire at a time, starting with the wires in the amp gauge circuit, or wires from the ignition switch that may have been moved. Its going to be a pita to find which wire connection is at fault. It won't be fun, but I'm betting that is where your problem is.

I had a 69 Chrysler that had a loose connector at the bulk head. I cleaned them all, and they all felt good pushing them back together, but that terminal that was causing the intermittent problem grew worse rather quickly. That one connection at the bulk head was clean, but just a little loose. Hit a bump on the road wrong, and the connection went from good to barely good enough, and finally to not at all. But as soon as the wire was wiggled, all was good again. t took me more then a month to find that one!

I'll agree, beer
24 928 Read More
Unlawfl's Race & Engine Tech
05/11/24 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
Originally Posted by Uberpube
So if it's not about class rules, numbers matching or chassis limitations, at what point do you go Gen II hemi over B1? Probably the cost isn't that much different in the end?

Thats easy, NEVER in the NA world.

Is that because the piston dome shape of the Hemi hurts power?
37 3,871 Read More
Member Projects & Survivor Pictures
05/11/24 01:20 AM
It looks amazing. Do find a way to protect your hearing if it ends up being pretty loud inside - metal interior and all that looks like the decibel levels could be up there.

Is your shop floor plywood stacked over a concrete slab? I just noticed that.
219 115,507 Read More
Sandy's Truck Shop
05/11/24 01:11 AM
I bought a "kit" with an adjustable temperature setting so it will come on at what ever temp you want (within their pretty wide range), and will turn off when the temp drops so many degrees (10 I believe). They recommend you turn on the fans 10 degrees above the trucks thermostat rating. That kit came with either an insert into the radiator core sensor, or a screw into the cooling system temp sensor and relays (50 amp ratings) with wiring. It can run one or two fans, and will kick one fan on then the second shortly after. I bought the one I have off ebay for something around $50, then you buy which ever fan(s) you want.

Mine cycles on and off regularly once the motor reaches operating temp.

the only complaints I have with the controller I have is 1) The digital temp reads in degrees "C" rather the degrees "F". I had to do the conversion the day I set it. 2) It came without written instructions, you have to read the clearly printed wires to make the electrical connections. 3) The control is "water resistant", but not "water proof". It needs to be placed where it is protected from getting too wet. None of the complaints were much of an issue.
5 133 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
05/11/24 01:04 AM
Gold braid was used on naval & other military uniforms at times Cap'n.
2 117 Read More
Moparts Race Cars / Parts/Tools/Trailers
05/11/24 01:04 AM
Leadmine products Dana 60 narrowing pucks, you supply 1.25 bar.
110.00 shipped lower 48 or local pickup. Kansas City area.
1 324 Read More
05/11/24 01:02 AM
Went to 2 different AC shops today and both said no go.
Maybe they didn't want to be bothered. Partly the reason I was hoping to find a fitting and just have someone weld it.

I found fittings for.the hose on ebay, so I'll buy those and cobble it together. Won't be pretty, but I've given up on that, just need it to work.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
5 169 Read More
Transmission and Differential
05/11/24 01:00 AM
Leadmine products Dana 60 narrowing pucks, you supply 1.25 bar.
110.00 shipped lower 48 or local pickup. Kansas City area.
11 2,108 Read More
05/11/24 12:49 AM
I vote for dropping the drive shaft and checking the tightness of the pinion nut.

While you are under there, take a look at the condition of the rubber in the transmission mount. Both have been problem areas.
7 340 Read More
Gen III Hemi Tech
05/11/24 12:36 AM
What kind of flow numbers did you get out of the eagle heads? I hope to start building a 6.1 stroked to a 426 with around 14.1 compression. I can't decide which is better to use the 6.1 heads or the eagle heads. I have both. Which are both stock and I would like to send them out for porting
20 2,180 Read More
05/11/24 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by MONC
So have a lot of other stuff going on, but did get a chance to get a grounding strap from motor to body installed in factory location. Double checked with meter and got good ground. Also double checked VR ground and it is good as well. I also removed leads from ammeter, cleaned them up and then installed an aftermarket ammeter using those leads ( was thinking maybe it was the gauge itself).

Good news is that seemed to solve the problem, got 14.4V at battery idling, and all other voltages were consistent, and gauge didn't peg to charge when revved.

But I couldn't leave well enough alone. I'd prefer to use the car's ammeter , so I re connected cleaned leads to gauge, restarted car and voltage dropped to similar reading of 12.5V at battery idling.
So I thought 'ok it was the gauge' . So I reconnected aftermarket gauge with those leads, and my voltage stayed the same at 12.5V and change at idle.

Rechecked connections, even took off bulkhead connectors (again), cleaned and reassembled again, no change.
So back to square one.

So, when you moved the wiring under the dash to reconnect the factory Amp gauge, and things changed, it would lead me to believe you either shifted a poor or loose connection that may have been ok before you moved it. It may be time to start giggling each wire under the dash. I would start at the dash and move towards the bulk head connector, one wire at a time, starting with the wires in the amp gauge circuit, or wires from the ignition switch that may have been moved. Its going to be a pita to find which wire connection is at fault. It won't be fun, but I'm betting that is where your problem is.

I had a 69 Chrysler that had a loose connector at the bulk head. I cleaned them all, and they all felt good pushing them back together, but that terminal that was causing the intermittent problem grew worse rather quickly. That one connection at the bulk head was clean, but just a little loose. Hit a bump on the road wrong, and the connection went from good to barely good enough, and finally to not at all. But as soon as the wire was wiggled, all was good again. t took me more then a month to find that one!
24 928 Read More
05/10/24 11:52 PM
You guys are jumping into an ongoing mess with this van.

The reason for the bypass he talks about is because there was a voltage drop between the key and the ballast resistor. The by pass was suppose to be a temporary thing until he had time to chase down the reason for the voltage drop. Apparently since the van has been starting he felt there was no need to look into the cause of his original problem, its been a few months. There has also been a big over charging issue with this van, I don't remember if that got resolved or not. Then there was a fuel pump dumping fuel into the oil pan. I believe he got that changed, but I'm unsure if he ever changed the oil.

The way the bypass has been wired, the ballast is still fully functional. The bypass eliminated all the wiring connections on the van between the key switch and the ballast, it has done nothing else..

So he is back looking for another cheap temporary fix to get it running until the next time it won't start. Not that most of us have not been in that position before, a time or two.

This is going to sound dumb, but look at the position the rotor is pointing at on the distributor, then crank the motor just a little, and see if the rotor has turned at all. The motor may have a bad timing chain. If the rotor is turning, pull # 1 spark plug out of the cylinder and see if there is compression while the motor is cranking over. .if you have compression, see if you can bump the motor so that the timing marks are lined up at "0" and look to see if the rotor is pointing at the place on the distributor cap where the wire to cylinder #1 is. If its off 1 spot, the timing chain may have slipped and it needs to be replaced. If the rotor is pointing at the place the #1 wire is, then move on.

If you have power to the coil, the problem is in the ignition system, It could be as easy as a bad coil wire from the coil to the distributor, a bad coil, or a fried electronic ignition part. The coil wire, and then the coil are the cheapest places to start. If you have something there that runs that has a similar coil wire, or coil, you could swap them over onto the van (one at a time please) and see if the van will start. If it starts, replace which ever one was bad with a new one.

If that doesn't work, your going to have to remind us what ignition system is on your van (it may or may not be original to the can), before we can move forward from here.
14 565 Read More
05/10/24 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by Brad_Haak
Originally Posted by cudaman1969
I’m not running a filter, too much restriction -hp loss...

eek

Seems like you could find a safer way to squeeze out a bit more performance w/o sacrificing engine durability. And that's ASSuming you can verify that removing the filter does, in fact, show improved on-track performance.

Ok, why do we remove the air filter or run the drag car without one? Anything that restricts flow..
33 2,109 Read More
05/10/24 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by cudaman1969
My 63 engine had 426 TMPHC iirr but really there’s no difference in any block from HC to non HC, just what’s put inside

T stood for 1963
MP was maximum performance (max wedge I believe)
HC was the high compression version, 13.5 vs 11.5 I believe

At least that is what I recall from playing around with them back in the 80's.

You are correct about the actual block differences though, none.

Thanks, you nailed it. Wish I had it back, sold the whole car in 78 for $2800 lol
13 1,192 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
05/10/24 11:47 PM
With a Matchbox Jeep for size.
2 117 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
05/10/24 11:41 PM
I picked up this plaque the other day. Does anyone know what the “Chrysler Boats Gold Braid Award” was? This one is obviously for 1971/1972. It is missing the object on the small shelf. Was the object a small trophy? Or perhaps a small metal boat? I was thinking of putting a Matchbox Chrysler boat there if I can’t find out what was originally there. Thanks
2 117 Read More
Sandy's Truck Shop
05/10/24 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by poorboy
All the newer Rams have electric fans attached to the radiator,
Might be worth looking into.

I was looking at those like 2010-2018
I'd have to check if they fit, attachment points etc, but I'd assume they move air. Plenty of room with the OEM fan gone.
The 8HP70 controller is CAN and send the temp values, and has other AUX output, but I'd prefer a dumb thermal switch.

This actually looks viable https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-104811, size and 3,300 cfm
And this claims 4,600cfm https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-104242?seid=srese1&ppckw=pmax-vf-flex-a-lite

Still, it would be a LOT easier to just replace the clutch...
5 133 Read More
Ebay / Craigslist / Marketplace / WIW
05/10/24 11:34 PM
I like the Monte
2 382 Read More
05/10/24 11:27 PM
Thank you Doug , you guys have done a great job with this car . Kudos to your wife on the interior work ( I think I read she did alot of the upolstery , Hope you guys had a good time as well . Gary
34 2,390 Read More
05/10/24 11:16 PM
That is what I use , .035 , -1 heads . Gary
4 222 Read More
Sandy's Truck Shop
05/10/24 11:04 PM
All the newer Rams have electric fans attached to the radiator, they are not belt driven fans. Most truck (and car) cooling systems after about 2,000 have the electric fans on the radiator. The belts only drive the water pump. and other accessories.
Those electric fans replace your fan shroud and are independent of the water pump. You can buy them thermostat controlled, and powered through relays. Some of those move a lot of air. Those electric fans solve a lot of problems that belt driven fans can have and are very efficient.

Might be worth looking into.
5 133 Read More
05/10/24 10:53 PM
The MAP sensor is usually a weatherpak for some unknown reason. It is a complete bag of stuff on GM engines. Ford and Chrysler engines can be even more weird.
3 177 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
05/10/24 10:31 PM
I have bought 4-speeds from both Brewers and Passon, both are capable, knowledgible Mopar experts..
The last 4 speed I bought from Passon was his 18 spline OD unit as I wanted a transmission with new gears not a rebuilt with 60 years old recycled gears.
The Passon OD unit worked out just fine, fit well and shifts good. The gears were noisy at 1st install time but after 500 miles they quieted down.

Just my $0.02... wink
15 1,225 Read More
05/10/24 10:16 PM
My advice is get rid of the add ons you did and go back to factory wiring. It worked for years and there is no reason for it not to work now. Just a suggestion. shruggy
14 565 Read More
05/10/24 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Brian Hafliger
[quote=Sammy]I'm running a ngk 5672A-8 #7173 sparkplug and need the gap size.
Indy 440-1 aluminum heads.

N.A. I would set them at .035 which OOTB is what they should be close to. [/quote
]me too
4 222 Read More
Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 36 37