Quote:

He is probably going to show us a painted car next.

Not quite a painted car yet, I'm pretty sure even though you're building a car, chassis and all, you're gonna beat me to the road! Nice work!

So on to what I spent my Saturday doing. I wasn't totally satisfied wuth the trunk gaps after my first attempt so I figured I'd better get 'em straight or I'll always know I should've!

So, I cut the quarter again. This time I cut the gutter to light panel as well where I just kind of tried to fudge that on try 1, that'll teach me!
It looks really jacked here but that's just 'cause the back of the quarter popped over from the gutter when I cut it.

More of bird's eye view.

Gettin' closer. I also should mention that I've had to use a port-a-power quite a bit to get the quarter and gutter up to where they belong.

And another shot. It sure can be deceiving to look at with the welds and different colors all over the place. It takes a straight edge and a piece of string to see that it really is straight.

And here I used a piece of filler rod welded to the deck lid to get a nice tight gap. It really came out nice and I'm very happy I did it over again. BUT, I did, as us newbies will, screw up at this point. I had read that it's ok to weld up to an inch at a time without having to worry about warpage so I figured on the heavy edge welding a piece of filler was the place to try this. Not so good. I "oil canned" my brand new deck lid. I've never really done much with shrinking metal before and was really not sure how to do it especially since I couldn't get to the back side with a dolly. I tried using the stud gun for heat and then hitting it with compressed air and took most of the stretch out but it still was kind of flimsy and now had little dents all over from the stud gun. Then I figured maybe just hit it in the low spots with a bit of mig weld and air to rapid cool it. Bingo! Don't know if that's the normal way but it worked for me and made it so I could sleep that night! Just have to finish pulling the little dents out and shopuld be ready to move to the other side.

The stud gun dents. Nothing to worry about compared to the oil canning!

Need to do a little dolly work along the edge to smooth out the spots where the trunk lid edge sits a little low but it really was starting to look like I had hoped it would.

Another angle.

And the cut in the corner welded up. I also used a piece of filler rod here to fill the gap.

Ok, I gotta run for now but I have more pics of this portion of the project to show ya when I get back. Thanks for checkin' it out!