Originally Posted By B G Racing
I agree with Darren,most of the guys that prefer quarter mile racing have a 10 second car or slower and most are not serious racers who participate on a regular basis.I know from personal experience that with a fast car 8 seconds and quicker a lot of things can happen real fast at 150/200+ mph that you can't react to,"especially at my age".just watch Street Outlaws,see what happens in their short races.Hang on a go for the ride and hope it ends well.Look at the top NHRA classes with all the controls and safety regulations and some of the terriable results.
Me personally, I like to be the "show" after the launch and the big wheelstand then the rest is the ride to the Dairy Queen

As far as the comment that local bracket racers not being the mainstay of the local dragstrip,I respectfully disagree.It's true the the large events bring in more revenue it also cost more to have a large event ie: advertising,paying the exhibition racers and attractions for the event,extra staff and all the other related cost.

A usual bracket day cost the owners minimal in outlay of cash since it comes from a portion of the entry fees of the racer.Also on any give bracket race there can be schudled test and tune runs and lets not forget the abundance of street cars that also race at the bracket events.These events cost a minimal amont for small staff and insurance for the day.So any smart track operator can turn a profit,if they didn't they wouldn't continue the events.Even with the downturn in the sport there are new tracks opening,old tracks refurbishing and more interesting events planned.I call BS on some information of cost as we have put on events,have had track rentals and sponsored race days over many years.So unless you actually have reached into your own pocket to pay for such events,then your info is only your "best guestimate"and you should get some real facts and insite in to our sport before screaming the "sky is falling" like Chicken Little and hide behind the barn.Negative response like political tactics and fake news can only hurt our sport like what is happening in our world today.I base my comments on facts and stand behind them based on actual experience.Respectfully Bob.

Love ya man, but those are some of the ...... comments i have ever read on here. And i have been on here forever.
Yea. Most guys who have 10 sec and slower cars like 1/4 mile. Because thats what most cars are. And most people prefer 1/4 mile. Its what the sport is. I have no idea what the new Demon runs in the 1/8 mile, never heard it ever mentioned. But i have heard 9.60’s ten million times. If 1/8 was so popular with the general populace, why not 1/8 times listed on 125k dollar super cars. Reason.... they want to sell them and an 1/8 time means nothing to 98% of the people in the country
I grant you, among hard core racers 1/8 is more popular. But not by much. Norwalk racers had a vote, i understand it was pretty close. And this is points racers voting.. Among all others (by far the bigger group) people could give two poops about 1/8 mile.
Go to the Fri night test and tunes at our local and popular 1/4 facility and its infested by a large number of kids. Zero of them want to shut them off at half track. And there are tons of them every week. Its definately the case of the minority being louder.
Is it changing, yes.

Go to the Monster Mopar event in two weeks. Probably be 500 race cars there. 70-75 % of them will run 10 flat or slower. All took time off work to be there and race. To me thats dedication to a hobby. I find very little correlation to dial in and how much somebody races.
Frankly, for me, its all about the extra cost of required safety equipment, containment devices, licenses, physicals, etc, etc, etc that make going 10.20 WAY more appealing to me than 9.80 or whatever. Been there, done that. Its just isnt to me worth the extra grief. Know lots of people wifh the same take on it. They love racing too. There is also the fact lots of people grow out of spending every last dime they have on a race car and forget everything else. Know lots like that. Many of them grow out of that and get more sensible and practical. Some dont
And i disagree strongly that ET has much relationship as to if somebody likes to race a lot.

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8