Originally Posted By max_maniac
Originally Posted By Spaceman Spiff
Originally Posted By Crabra
I am looking for anywhere to say this.I want to know why drag racing is going to shorter distance.I say its the insurance companies and the pussification of society in general.Some things just need to be left as they were.People who race have always been thought of as silly or wierd anyway.Lets stop this before were told its too dangerous and drag racing goes away all togeather.

because there are cars going over 200mph in the eighth, on radials...
they'd be doing close to 250 in the 1/4. at those speeds, someone is going to get killed. they are also harder to stop from those speeds, because of their weight. it's also harder on parts at that power level.

how fast is your car?

So because some people over built a car for the 1/4 mile then only make it half a race since they can't handle a full race? Easier on parts and safer 1/8 mile as YOU said someone is going to get killed??? Overbuilt for the sport so change the rules --- smh

They didn’t over build a car for the 1/4 mile.
They built a car to run 1/8 mile, which a majority of tracks in the south are, which is where this originated.
There a big difference between 130 mph, and 230 mph at the end of the 1/4 mile.

Ever see the radial races where cars get airborne? Imagine doing that at 230 mph.
If you ran the 1/4 mile next to one of these guys, they’d be at the stripe, before you got to the 1/8...

You do know, that the tracks are 1/8 mile, right? They were built that way.
They didn’t “ change the rules” the tracks have been around for years. They just didn’t start to build them.

526 cubes of angry wedge, pushbutton shifted, 9 passenger killer!