Originally Posted By Steve1118
I can understand the drag strips that have been historically 8th mile, due to space. I can get that, and it makes perfect sense.

My issue is 1/4 mile tracks that only race 8th. In order to be successful at 8th, you have to be set up for it. It's best with a light car, real quick reacting and short times. I get that, too.

For me, after almost fifty years of racing with my old Hemi, the day that 8th mile is the only option is the day I park everything. To me, it's half a drag race. Not remotely interested in doing it, and even less interested in watching it. Watching two dragsters race 8th mile is like watching the neighbor paint his house. It's exciting to the guys doing it, but to everyone else it's a big snoozefest. BORING.

If drag racing went to only 1/8 mile i would find a new hobby literally tomorrow.
I have had all kinds of different ET cars, and 1/8 mile has never appealed to me. I enjoy the xtra speed and not shifting gears the last half the track.
My local track ( US131) has over the last several years went from exclusively 1/4 mile with( a huge shutdown), to about 1/2 the events being on 1/8 mile. I hate it. Fortunately i am older so wont be racing forever.
I get there is a core of hard core points chaser types who prefer 1/8 mile. But the bigger majority of people like myself who test and tune and or bracket race but dont chase points due to work requirements, not wanting to sit at the track on a 95 degree day etc, make up a larger amount of people. And..... certainly not all points chaser types prefer 1/8 mile either.... many dont.
I have raced points in the past, but sometimes i think peo0le can take this stuff to seriously. Dont get ne wrong, i am ultra competetive, but virtually nobody i have ever met makes a livin at this, its a hobby. As a hobby i prefer the 1/4 mile

Last edited by B3422W5; 07/01/18 07:10 PM.

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8