Moparts

1/8 mile vs.1/4

Posted By: Crabra

1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/01/18 09:06 PM

I am looking for anywhere to say this.I want to know why drag racing is going to shorter distance.I say its the insurance companies and the pussification of society in general.Some things just need to be left as they were.People who race have always been thought of as silly or wierd anyway.Lets stop this before were told its too dangerous and drag racing goes away all togeather.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/01/18 09:32 PM

I find it outrageous that we haven't gone to 400 meters.
Posted By: mills.mopar

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/01/18 09:39 PM

Here in the mountains of Appalachia it's always been 1/8th mile tracks. I hated it when I first moved to the area. I guess it's because we don't have the flat space available. But after 10 years or so I've gotten used to it. I don't think it's easier, racing the strip seems harder, I guess because everything is happening faster.

Jeff.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/01/18 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By Crabra
I am looking for anywhere to say this.I want to know why drag racing is going to shorter distance.I say its the insurance companies and the pussification of society in general.Some things just need to be left as they were.People who race have always been thought of as silly or wierd anyway.Lets stop this before were told its too dangerous and drag racing goes away all togeather.

Just curious but what do you race and what does it run. At our Track cars 9.0 and slower have a choice. Box 1/8 mile, no box 1/4 mile.
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/01/18 10:55 PM

I can understand the drag strips that have been historically 8th mile, due to space. I can get that, and it makes perfect sense.

My issue is 1/4 mile tracks that only race 8th. In order to be successful at 8th, you have to be set up for it. It's best with a light car, real quick reacting and short times. I get that, too.

For me, after almost fifty years of racing with my old Hemi, the day that 8th mile is the only option is the day I park everything. To me, it's half a drag race. Not remotely interested in doing it, and even less interested in watching it. Watching two dragsters race 8th mile is like watching the neighbor paint his house. It's exciting to the guys doing it, but to everyone else it's a big snoozefest. BORING.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/01/18 11:01 PM

Insurance and/or property values, depends on the situation. There have been tracks that started out as 1/4 mile early on, but cars got too fast to stop safely. Some 1/8 mile tracks would like to go to 1/4, but property values may prohibit that. Competition is just as close and the way things are going, I'm happy just to have a place to race.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/01/18 11:05 PM

I much prefer to test and tune 1/4 mile but I don't mind bracket racing 1/8th mile. I used to whine about 1/8 mile but my only two wins have been on 1/8th races.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/01/18 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By Steve1118
I can understand the drag strips that have been historically 8th mile, due to space. I can get that, and it makes perfect sense.

My issue is 1/4 mile tracks that only race 8th. In order to be successful at 8th, you have to be set up for it. It's best with a light car, real quick reacting and short times. I get that, too.

For me, after almost fifty years of racing with my old Hemi, the day that 8th mile is the only option is the day I park everything. To me, it's half a drag race. Not remotely interested in doing it, and even less interested in watching it. Watching two dragsters race 8th mile is like watching the neighbor paint his house. It's exciting to the guys doing it, but to everyone else it's a big snoozefest. BORING.

If drag racing went to only 1/8 mile i would find a new hobby literally tomorrow.
I have had all kinds of different ET cars, and 1/8 mile has never appealed to me. I enjoy the xtra speed and not shifting gears the last half the track.
My local track ( US131) has over the last several years went from exclusively 1/4 mile with( a huge shutdown), to about 1/2 the events being on 1/8 mile. I hate it. Fortunately i am older so wont be racing forever.
I get there is a core of hard core points chaser types who prefer 1/8 mile. But the bigger majority of people like myself who test and tune and or bracket race but dont chase points due to work requirements, not wanting to sit at the track on a 95 degree day etc, make up a larger amount of people. And..... certainly not all points chaser types prefer 1/8 mile either.... many dont.
I have raced points in the past, but sometimes i think peo0le can take this stuff to seriously. Dont get ne wrong, i am ultra competetive, but virtually nobody i have ever met makes a livin at this, its a hobby. As a hobby i prefer the 1/4 mile

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/01/18 11:24 PM

So many of the hard core racers of today are very different than the hard core racers of the past, I think. The motivation is totally different.

I got started in this game as a passion, a passion for cool cars and going fast. I still do it because it's a passion. Love it, and live for it.

The modern guys bracket racing see it as a business....the car is a tool to use for your business. There is no passion involved.

It's just totally different.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/01/18 11:30 PM

So many of the hard core racers of today are very different than the hard core racers of the past, I think. The motivation is totally different.

I got started in this game as a passion, a passion for cool cars and going fast. I still do it because it's a passion. Love it, and live for it.

The modern guys bracket racing see it as a business....the car is a tool to use for your business. There is no passion involved.

It's just totally different.

Agree 100%. That said, 99% of guys lose money going to the track no matter how “ businesslike” they are. That fact hasnt changed.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/01/18 11:48 PM

When it comes to the length of the track you need to remember that drag racing in the west side of this country was started to try and stop kids from street racing, which was stoplight to stoplight or when ever the other guy let off when he was behind work
Riverside Raceway tried 1/2 mile drags for a while, it didn't last long due to a lot of the racers blowing their motors up between the 1/4 and 1/2 mile finish line shruggy work
As far as NHRA making decisions on the lengths of the tracks, insurance costs have to come into play, same thing on most track operators also work
My current S/P car runs high fives at 115 MPH in the 1/8 mile and 9.00s at 147.+ MPH in the 1/4 mile so it spends a little over 45 % of it time in the 1/4 mile running the last 1/8 mile work shruggy
It gains right at 30 MPH in the last 1/8 mile in less than 4 seconds but goes from a dead stop to 115 MPH in 5.85 seconds in the 1/8 mile shruggy Which is more thrilling work
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/01/18 11:51 PM

They're going to 1/8 mile because that's what guys want to run. Most of the big money brackets is 1/8. The event moves faster, less wear and tear (expense) on the car, and the car can be set up for it and left alone.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 12:00 AM

Where's the beating the dead horse emoji? lol

The last time I ran a 1/4 mile race my Dart had the 340 in it and ran 11.60's, it ran 7.24 in the 1/8. The last 1/8 of the 1/4 was boring, I was in high gear before the 1/8 so all I had to do was hold the wheel and decide how to drive the stripe.

My Dart will now run 6.30's in the 1/8 so maybe the 1/4 would be more fun. For me there is a lot going on in the 1/8, all the shifts then the stripe, no time for my mind to wander. I've ran some 1/8 mile heads up street stuff that was a hoot.

To the guys who think watching 1/8 mile racing is boring go watch a big heads up race. If 3.70-80's at 200 mph is boring you need to be checked for a pulse. I agree ANY bracket racing is boring to watch, doesn't matter what the distance is. Bracket racing for the most part is a participant sport not a spectator sport. twocents

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 12:22 AM

I run a 15.0 duster

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 12:29 AM

In the 1/4 mile

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 12:47 AM

I run a 15.0 duster

drive
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 01:52 AM

because there are cars going over 200mph in the eighth, on radials...
they'd be doing close to 250 in the 1/4. at those speeds, someone is going to get killed. they are also harder to stop from those speeds, because of their weight. it's also harder on parts at that power level.

how fast is your car?

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 02:02 AM

I run a 15.0 duster

the really fast guys that run 1/8 mile, would be done with their run, ( if it was a 1/4 mile and on the return road) before you got to the eighth...

some of the street outlaws have been high 3's in the eighth. your car runs about mid 9's in that time...
Posted By: cudatom

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 02:10 AM

I prefer 1/4 but won't stop if its only 1/8th. Honestly racing is racing. You don't need a light quick car for the the 1/8. You need the same as the 1/4, a consistent car, good reaction times and be able to race the stripe.
Posted By: racerhog

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 02:15 AM

Operation cost's and also Keeping the entertainment within view. just my 2 cents.

But it could just be that all the low performance drives cant handle it...lol
Posted By: D-50

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 02:28 AM

I have been racing for more than 35 years and I have never made a 1/4 mile pass on a track. There are seven 1/8 mile tracks within 75 miles of my house. I have never had the urge to race 1/4. But I like racing and I would still do it if it was only 300 ft. The closest track and my favorite place to race is only 630 ft. long. I just like drag racing and test and tune.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 02:34 AM

I've said it a dozen times: A door car can survive in a sea of dragsters in the 1/8th. The areo isn't as much of a factor. Everything is super tight in the 1/8. The slow thinking racers fold up like a cheap chair, at a family reunion.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
When it comes to the length of the track you need to remember that drag racing in the west side of this country was started to try and stop kids from street racing, which was stoplight to stoplight or when ever the other guy let off when he was behind work
Riverside Raceway tried 1/2 mile drags for a while, it didn't last long due to a lot of the racers blowing their motors up between the 1/4 and 1/2 mile finish line shruggy work
As far as NHRA making decisions on the lengths of the tracks, insurance costs have to come into play, same thing on most track operators also work
My current S/P car runs high fives at 115 MPH in the 1/8 mile and 9.00s at 147.+ MPH in the 1/4 mile so it spends a little over 45 % of it time in the 1/4 mile running the last 1/8 mile work shruggy
It gains right at 30 MPH in the last 1/8 mile in less than 4 seconds but goes from a dead stop to 115 MPH in 5.85 seconds in the 1/8 mile shruggy Which is more thrilling work

Its all thrilling to me. Going 147 is cooler than 115. I like the last half of the track i can enjoy the ride abd not have to shift gears, watch shiftlight, etc.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 02:43 AM

Get a faster car
Posted By: bigdad

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 02:43 AM

I have done both.. I just don’t like racing to the 1/8 on a 1/4 track .. nice 1/8 mile tracks are a blast

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By CMcAllister
They're going to 1/8 mile because that's what guys want to run. Most of the big money brackets is 1/8. The event moves faster, less wear and tear (expense) on the car, and the car can be set up for it and left alone.

Who is “ they”?

The guys who attend those big money races constitute only a small percentage of people who go to a track. Very small percentage
They run 1/8 because that stuff got started in the South mainly where most tracks are 1/8 mile. And the guys who attend are ultra hard core and indeed do prefer it more as a business than a hobby or passion
US131 has a very well attended points bracket race season that pays well. Has forever.
Gonna guess between box and no box probably 100 guys give or take race points.
Out of those 100 guys bet there werent 15 of them that attended the 50/125/ 50 big money race held at 131 earlier this year. I watched a good bit of it. Mainly double entered hitters from all over that travel to race.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 02:46 AM

One thing for sure is 1/8 mile racing is easier on the engine. Almost every engine blow up is on the top end of the 1/4. Hardly any down time with 1/8 mile and the program moves along better. I hate setting in the staging lanes. At 70 now I don't need to go 150MPH , but a little over a 100 is good.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 03:03 AM

Some of you guys should get out more often. THEY are the racers and they have resently voted at tracks like Norwalk switch to 1/8 mile Racing for their faster classes. The 20,000.00 three day race I resently went to sold out in under 1 1/2 days (375 racers) another one sold out in 45 minutes (yes 45 minutes). Both being 1/8 mile races. If you go fast enough and love competition you too can learn to enjoy 1/8 mile Racing. Like I said before I used to hate it but now enjoy both.
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 03:21 AM

At the moment my 63 Ply is parked up, I think if I had a 1/8 mile track within 1000 mile I might be still racing.
Would love a dedicated 1/8 mile track, good enough for 4-5 second cars but not that good that it is taken over by the hardcore, rich, super professional and the over serious. Just a great country feel short track that makes racing fun again.
Posted By: GY3

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 03:22 AM

I recently raced an 1/8th mile track for the first time and actually enjoyed it! As mentioned, it's much easier on parts. I did have to go back and look at some old 1/4 mile timeslips to "translate" what the car was doing compared to past runs. It was like converting metric to standard for me! laugh2

I did find that I had run a best ever mph in the 1/8th (102mph) and wished I'd been at a 1/4 mile track to see 10's n/a. bawling
Posted By: BlueRacer69

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 03:28 AM

Drag racing was ment to be 1/4 mile, nothing less. Period.
Posted By: KOS

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By FastmOp
Get a faster car

what he said!!

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By racerhog
Operation cost's and also Keeping the entertainment within view. just my 2 cents.

More people watched years ago when it was all 1/4 mile than do now
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 03:38 AM

Done both...prefer 1/4 mile but still had fun with 1/8 mile. Definately makes you up your game running 1/8th.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 03:45 AM

Now that Englishtown shut down,I have to travel 130 miles to the closest track.We have been pushing to open a Track on Long Island for years.
So even if an 1/8 mile track were to open I would be thrilled.I normally run the 1/4 buy look forward to Chrysler Carlisle and the 1/8 mile action at South Mountain Raceway.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By B3422W5

That can be said for many types of racing on many different tracks, right. That 10.5 radial outlaw stuff sure packs the crowds in. 1/8 mile too!
Posted By: 383man

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 04:12 AM

As far as I am concerned drag raging is a 1/4 mile. Always has been all my life. All the road test of muscle cars was the 1/4 mile. Most of my life 5 and 6 second cars were nitro dragsters and funny cars. Sure cars are way faster today but I don't care for and never will like the 1/8 mile. I never even heard of an 1/8 mile track in my area until the early 90's. And all the tracks in my state are still 1/4 mile tracks even if they may run 1/8 mile sometimes. Ron

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 04:29 AM

Originally Posted By 383man
As far as I am concerned drag raging is a 1/4 mile. Always has been all my life. All the road test of muscle cars was the 1/4 mile. Most of my life 5 and 6 second cars were nitro dragsters and funny cars. Sure cars are way faster today but I don't care for and never will like the 1/8 mile. I never even heard of an 1/8 mile track in my area until the early 90's. And all the tracks in my state are still 1/4 mile tracks even if they may run 1/8 mile sometimes. Ron

Yep. When they advertize the new Demon, etc, they dont say it runs 6.20’s or whatever in the 1/8, they say it runs 9.60’s in the 1/4
Most people i know who go to a race as casual fans and see cars lifting at the 1/8 are dissapointed that they dont “ run the whole track”. Lots of these 1/8 mile sanctioning outfits like PDRA, etc, dont last because of it.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 05:04 AM

For the amount of time and money put into these cars I'd want as much track time as possible. 1/8 mile is for test and tune - 1/4 mile is for drag racing.
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 05:44 AM

Originally Posted By Spaceman Spiff

they'd be doing close to 250 in the 1/4. at those speeds, someone is going to get killed. they are also harder to stop from those speeds, because of their weight. it's also harder on parts at that power level.

how fast is your car?

So because some people over built a car for the 1/4 mile then only make it half a race since they can't handle a full race? Easier on parts and safer 1/8 mile as YOU said someone is going to get killed??? Overbuilt for the sport so change the rules --- smh
Posted By: humpty

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 07:20 AM

I find myself paying more attention to my reaction time, the 60, 330, and 1/8 mi times than anything so it doesn’t matter to me if I’m running 1/8 mi or 1/4 mi. If I’m running 1/8 mi and want to translate to 1/4 mi I multiply the 1/8 mi et by 1.57 and it’s close to what the run would have been in the 1/4 mi. No doubt the 1/8 mi programs run faster than the 1/4 mi. More if there’s track cleanup involved.

I ran at Brainerd Raceway (1/4 mi track) this weekend and delays due to weather and breakage were in abundance. The wait for the track cleanup was brutal.

Cheers.
Posted By: rb446

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 11:11 AM

Well we have only ever had 1320 racing here at SPR apart from TF (1000ft) and Junior Dragster/bike. The only advantage of running the 1/8th I can see from a spectator point is the fact that we wouldn't see cars launch/stop then go again and run 9.90@150+ etc. down ...recently we have had a few 1/8 ml no prep style races on real virgin tracks, seemed to go off ok and there was prize money of £1000 and £2000. Most don't have a clue on how to set their car up from what I saw apart from a few who raced when I was racing 25yrs ago, so could do well at that and pick up some money for a change if I were to have a go again. up

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 12:07 PM

Must be why all the big radial tire 1/8 mile races have more viewers than an nhra event.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By max_maniac

how fast is your car?

So because some people over built a car for the 1/4 mile then only make it half a race since they can't handle a full race? Easier on parts and safer 1/8 mile as YOU said someone is going to get killed??? Overbuilt for the sport so change the rules --- smh

They didn’t over build a car for the 1/4 mile.
They built a car to run 1/8 mile, which a majority of tracks in the south are, which is where this originated.
There a big difference between 130 mph, and 230 mph at the end of the 1/4 mile.

Ever see the radial races where cars get airborne? Imagine doing that at 230 mph.
If you ran the 1/4 mile next to one of these guys, they’d be at the stripe, before you got to the 1/8...

You do know, that the tracks are 1/8 mile, right? They were built that way.
They didn’t “ change the rules” the tracks have been around for years. They just didn’t start to build them.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 12:19 PM

Yep. When they advertize the new Demon, etc, they dont say it runs 6.20’s or whatever in the 1/8, they say it runs 9.60’s in the 1/4
Most people i know who go to a race as casual fans and see cars lifting at the 1/8 are dissapointed that they dont “ run the whole track”. Lots of these 1/8 mile sanctioning outfits like PDRA, etc, dont last because of it.

Most of the tracks in 5he sou5h are only 1/8 mile.... so that IS the whole track.
1/8 mile radial racing is thriving.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 02:32 PM

Nice

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 02:45 PM

I HATE 8th mile. The radial 8th mile deal is pretty much a fad and will drop off as soon as the Street Outlaws TV ratings drop and the show is canceled. It will run it's course. Most of their spectators and followers are 19 year olds who will be on to the next fad in a couple of years.

For dinosaurs like me, who have cut their teeth on B body Hemi cars, or even Maxies, it's not appealing. Those cars have always made their ET in second and high gear, and are a fish out of water in the 8th.

I've been racing my Hemi 65 Dodge since 1969. It's still old school, SS springs, "J" converter, cross ram Hemi. I've had quicker motors, but this one is set up to run C/NSS with a 426 incher. A 11.00 index. Works good.

The difference is this, other makes will run 11.00 at 121mph. This one runs 11.00 at 124-125. That big high gear has won a lot of races over the years. Someone is out front, lifts, and we'll boogie right on by. It's a hallmark of these cars. Without it, I might as well build a Camaro like everyone else has, which is totally out of the question. I'd jump off a bridge first.

I realize brackets do not draw spectators, so this aspect may be immaterial, but watching 8th mile racing is like watching grass grow. It's very interesting and I can see how the drivers and participants really get it, because it is intense, but to watch it's a snoozefest. Too much inside baseball stuff for the average guy/gal. I went to the local track to watch a big money bracket race, 8th mile, good cars, and although some very good cars and drivers, there wasn't a dozen folks there to watch. Drag racing, even local tracks, need to increase their marketing to attempt to draw some spectators (I'm convinced it can be done), not further alienate them. The tracks make no money at all from bracket racing without them....none. What money they make comes from a big car count, and with car counts dropping off there needs to be a shift back to what has always worked. Back to basics. You can't re-invent the wheel, which is what everyone seems to want to do.

Going 8th mile universally is not good for the sport, overall. I realize it's big in the south due to room, and 8th mile has always been big down there.

Drag racing was made popular because it was full of cool cars. Recent things I've seen still verifies that the cars are the stars, and they are what draw. Purpose built 8th mile dragsters and bracket cars, while being impressive technically wise, lack a good bit of the cool fact. They are mostly identical, and set up the same way.

But, I'm a dinosaur. What do I know?
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 02:54 PM

While most of my racing has been 1/4 mile, I can’t deny that the heads up match racing I’ve done on the 1/8th has been a blast. I’ve only bracket raced one time on an 1/8 mile format. Really tightens the field up and you best have your poo in a group!
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 03:32 PM

Steve1118...The 1/8 mile radial racing was going strong well before Street Outlaws came around. You realize none of the Street Outlaws are radial cars? Radials don't work well for the type of racing they do.

I don't really care one way or the other as far as 1/8 vs. 1/4. I do find 1/4 mile a little more fun and like to see that ET, but 1/8 mile is more challenging to race. Not to mention 1/8 tracks outnumber 1/4 tracks around here by a huge margin. It's all about the hard launch and acceleration down low to me, moreso than the topend charge.
Posted By: 412 SB Duster

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 03:52 PM

I race 1/8 and 1/4 mile and every year it's less and less 1/4 mile.
Honestly once you race competitively 1/8 mile then switch back to 1/4 the last half of the race just seems to be a waste of time and fuel.

It's just a matter of time before it's all 1/8 mile.

Al
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 04:16 PM

True racers don't care if it's 1/8 or 1/4. If your willing to give up racing and sell everything because it switched to 1/8th, than your not a true competitor, you just enjoy making laps in a car. 1/8th mile programs are easier on equipment, draw more cars and is a quicker program. 1/8th mile racing it typically a lot closer at the strip due to the shorter distance. Some like the 1/4 because it gives them time to judge the strip better, personally I like 1/8th. I hit high gear, look once for the competitor and go off my gut as to what needs to be done to try and get that win light, no time to think. Look at all the BIG money races, not one is 1/4 mile...that should tell you something right there.
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 04:29 PM

I race both, and enjoy both. I know 1/8th mile bracket racing has made me a better 1/4 mile racer.

I laugh at 1/4 mile races that get cut to 1/8th because of weather and people loose there minds.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By DusterKid
True racers don't care if it's 1/8 or 1/4. If your willing to give up racing and sell everything because it switched to 1/8th, than your not a true competitor, you just enjoy making laps in a car. 1/8th mile programs are easier on equipment, draw more cars and is a quicker program. 1/8th mile racing it typically a lot closer at the strip due to the shorter distance. Some like the 1/4 because it gives them time to judge the strip better, personally I like 1/8th. I hit high gear, look once for the competitor and go off my gut as to what needs to be done to try and get that win light, no time to think. Look at all the BIG money races, not one is 1/4 mile...that should tell you something right there.

Not true. I am a “ true racer” and have been racing 45 years. And much prefer 1/4 mile.
By what you said i take it all the NHRA pro stock racers arent true racers because they race 1/4 mile every week. And yes, i do enjoy making laps in my car. Who doesnt? I sure dont do it to make a living. Do you?
I dont mind running my car a 1/4 mile and figure oif worrying about easier on equipment was the deciding factor i probably shouldbt be at a track enjoying an expensive interest anyhow, because i probably cant afford it.
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 04:50 PM

Let's see
build a faster car so I can run slower. You guys kill me.

Here is how I see it.

I build a bracket car because I am a gearhead (in other words I like fast cars) It goes 135-140 in the qtr. And doesn't cost me an arm and a leg, hell I still have an open trailer.

How much would it cost to go 135-140 in the eighth? Whole different ball game.

Like I have said before, I would hate to do this but I would probably put a engine in a jet boat and go down to the river where there is no speed limits. Which is what 1/8 mile racing on a 1/4. track is.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 05:09 PM

I’m old and I’m scared of going to fast. Lol. The only thing in drag racing that I hate is allowing cars to “double enter” same car same driver. It’s becoming more and more popular and to me it’s high stakes gambling trying to buy the win. It’s hard to beat guys getting 2-3 times more passes down the track.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
I’m old and I’m scared of going to fast. Lol. The only thing in drag racing that I hate is allowing cars to “double enter” same car same driver. It’s becoming more and more popular and to me it’s high stakes gambling trying to buy the win. It’s hard to beat guys getting 2-3 times more passes down the track.

It's easy just smack them with a 00 package like you did their first entry lol

Al

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 05:29 PM

[quote=pittsburghracer]I’m old and I’m scared of going to fast. Lol.

You must lose attention span with age too. You would rather see/participate inn a 5-6 second race than a 9-10 second one laugh2 T panic

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By B1MAXX
[quote=pittsburghracer]I’m old and I’m scared of going to fast. Lol.

You must lose attention span with age too. You would rather see/participate inn a 5-6 second race than a 9-10 second one laugh2 T panic

I’d rather see a car go 200+ in the eighth, than 140 in the 1/4...

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 05:37 PM

It’s just the opposite. As others have said you better be on your game to win at 1/8 mile racing. You have to cut the light and play the stripe in 6 seconds. It can and will make you a better racer. And that’s a fact Jack. Off topic but they just dumped a bunch of Musky in the Allegheny River Jeremy. They are waiting for us.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 05:50 PM

Street Outlaws have nothing to do with 1/8 mile racing, around here people were racing it long before those guys were born and will be when their star fades from TV. BTW, if you're running an index you're bracket racing, the only difference is that the track picks your dial, not you.

My car is a street/strip deal with 4.10 gears and 28" tires and I have no doubts that my engine will survive the 1/4 just fine. Some times Bowling Green runs the 1/4 on T&T nights so when it cools off I'd like to haul it there and see what it'll do. I think it'll be pretty cool to run some low 10's with a pump gas small block on d.o.t. tires.

You guys do realize that if there was no 1/8 mile racing a bunch of us would have no where to race without traveling long distances?

Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 06:15 PM

This is an age old discussion and there will never be a resolution. Personally I grew up in the 50's and all I knew was 1/4 mi racing. It wasn't until 1990 that I was introduced to 1/8th tracks. I knew I wasn't going to like it but surprise I did. It doesn't matter to me. The one thing that is definitely true is that many 1/4mi tracks are now running 1/8mi brackets because that's what the local racers voted on. It's the old adage "TO EACH HIS OWN"!!!!

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 06:23 PM

Honestly I grew up on 1/4 mile racing as I loved watching Stock and Super Stock cars of the 60's and 70's and everything I also read about in the magazines was 1/4 mile. And I guess that why I love the Nostalgia Super Stock racing of today. But I also understand that just about all the street cars and most race cars were N/A back then. Today cars are so much faster because of power adders (super and turbochargers and NOS) and that's because the technology of today has them working so good that car manufactors will even warranty them on their cars.

I am an older guy I guess (will be 62 in 2 weeks) and I don't care for power adder cars as I like the N/A cars I grew up with and hey that's just me. Its fine that most of the younger crowd want to go as fast as they can and like the power adder cars. Lets face it if you want to run with the big dogs you have to run a power adder. And because the cars of today are much faster may be one reason many like the 1/8 mile better. I don't and never will but I don't even follow any of the power adder classes as I have no interest in them.

Maybe the answer is let power adder cars run 1/8 mile and N/A cars run the 1/4 mile ? It seems to most who like the 1/4 mile better are older guys like me who grew up on it and like the NSS cars which all ran the 1/4 mile back in the day at all National events. Probably wont happen but I hope they keep the 1/4 mile for all the NSS events. I just don't want to see all tracks go to 1/8 mile as I can live with both so a person can run what they prefer. Ron

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 06:36 PM

Now go back and reread all the posts so far. Most of the guys that race week after week could really care less whether it’s a 1/8 or 1/4 mile track. The occasional racer that races 3-5 times a year or the rest n tuners prefer 1/4 mile. Heck even in Pa the second track I ever went to (nu-be) was 1/8 mile in the 1970’s and near by Merser was even shorter than 1/8. Competition drives me and I even get a little crazy on go carts and slick tracks in Ocean City.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 06:39 PM

If drag racing went to only 1/8 mile i would find a new hobby literally tomorrow.
I have had all kinds of different ET cars, and 1/8 mile has never appealed to me. I enjoy the xtra speed and not shifting gears the last half the track.
My local track ( US131) has over the last several years went from exclusively 1/4 mile with( a huge shutdown), to about 1/2 the events being on 1/8 mile. I hate it. Fortunately i am older so wont be racing forever.
I get there is a core of hard core points chaser types who prefer 1/8 mile. But the bigger majority of people like myself who test and tune and or bracket race but dont chase points due to work requirements, not wanting to sit at the track on a 95 degree day etc, make up a larger amount of people. And..... certainly not all points chaser types prefer 1/8 mile either.... many dont.
I have raced points in the past, but sometimes i think peo0le can take this stuff to seriously. Dont get ne wrong, i am ultra competetive, but virtually nobody i have ever met makes a livin at this, its a hobby. As a hobby i prefer the 1/4 mile

If/when you start going fast, you may rethink this............ beer And to answer the original q, some small tire stuff in the last few years are flying and NO WAY in hell would they be stable at over 200 mph in the 1/4.......... thumbs

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart

If/when you start going fast, you may rethink this............ beer And to answer the original q, some small tire stuff in the last few years are flying and NO WAY in hell would they be stable at over 200 mph in the 1/4.......... thumbs

You forget Dom, i owned a car that runs what your does forever. Hence my screen name on here i have never changed. And i have a much faster motor to install this upcoming offseason than what is in my car currently. Unfortunately most weeks i work 7 days and extra time to fart with stuff is a luxury i seldom have these days. So when i do get out, i like full track racing more than if i could take time off whenever i wanted to( which i used to be able to do... lol)
Posted By: Eric

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 07:10 PM

I find the T&T guys and the guys who race three times a year have issues with 1/8th mile.......The folks who actually spend money at the track don't give a S... smile
Posted By: dvw

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 07:34 PM

I miss the speed and the chase of the 1/4. I chase a lot of cars 20-30 mph slower than me. I enjoy figuring out the closing rate. My car is easier to dial 1/8. I've raced both. I find 1/8 a little boring, even running 5.80's. Especially if the shut down s long when your at 1/4 track with no quick turnoff racing 1/8. If I owned a 4 second 1/8 car that would probably be good though.
Doug
Posted By: gofish

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 07:45 PM

When I started drag racing, it was on a 1000 ft track, Motion Raceway in Illinois, and had the time of my life. Skip forward several years and I raced 1/8th and quarter mile tracks, loved them all. As a driver of a slow door car, I preferred 1/8 mile as the faster cars were not as hard to judge at the stripe as on the quarter mile. From a spectator's viewpoint, I prefer really close finishes, regardless of track length. It is all fun.

Danny

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By Eric
I find the T&T guys and the guys who race three times a year have issues with 1/8th mile.......The folks who actually spend money at the track don't give a S... smile

Thats not fair Eric. I know you know me. I used to race points at 2 different tracks with my blue Duster. Raced 10.0 index points series for years at Mid Mich Motorplex. And no box points at US131. You helped me about 5 rounds-in with a charging problem at Norwalk few years back one night. You and 440 Jim..... lol
Back then i had the time to do it. Now a days i dont. Would love to be independently wealthy and be able to be at a track all the time.
But spending most all my spare money racing back then is a good reason i cant now. I own a successful business now and can afford to race all i want, but am saving for a nice retirement, zero, zilch has changed with me. Liked 1/4 back when i raced constantly( and won a few races) and like 1/4 now when i cant get out as much.
Trust me, ask anybody who knows me, i get just as pissed now when i lose as i ever have.
I hang out with 5 or 6 guys with Mopar race cars here locally. All are like me, little older, love to race every chance they can, but life’s priorities dont allow it. All of us will be at Norwalk, and i sponsor a race. And every one of us like 1/4 mile WAY better.
There are plenty of competetive guys who feel the exact same way.
Oh, and i spend plenty of money at the track spectating. Bracket races here start at 8 on Saturday mornings. I dont get out of work till 2, and Saturday is a busy day for us( own a car dealership)..... but often times am up at the track after work watching...... one of the pitiful few who do.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 07:52 PM

I wasn't saying I'm fast just saying I have friends in the 4's in the 1/8 and it's a handful as we can imagine but even my lowly 6.15 @ 112+ felt ok........... beer thumbs

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 07:55 PM

THEY are serious bracket racers and the tracks that they frequent. All the big money events are run 1/8 mile. Local tracks here often run Super Pro on the 1/8 and everyone else 1/4. PDRA is 1/8. No lack of excitement there. I've always run 1/4 mile NHRA stuff. Some of what we did was on the 1/8. Kind of hard to run both with one car and jump back and forth. So, 1/8 has become the standard it seems.

Frankly, I'm glad there's choices. More tracks, more racers spending money and paying bills, more options for every level of racer. A number of things I'd like to be involved in, and plenty of stuff I have no interest in, but I'm glad that someone is and they're participating. Why are we complaining about having options? You should be glad - and hoping some of these kids put down their phone and take an interest in some of them.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 08:06 PM

Yea, those 1/8 mile guys do it because they are slow....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D0oZQjvNI_Q

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 08:40 PM

Thats not fair Eric. I know you know me. I used to race points at 2 different tracks with my blue Duster. Raced 10.0 index points series for years at Mid Mich Motorplex. And no box points at US131. You helped me about 5 rounds-in with a charging problem at Norwalk few years back one night. You and 440 Jim..... lol
Back then i had the time to do it. Now a days i dont. Would love to be independently wealthy and be able to be at a track all the time.
But spending most all my spare money racing back then is a good reason i cant now. I own a successful business now and can afford to race all i want, but am saving for a nice retirement, zero, zilch has changed with me. Liked 1/4 back when i raced constantly( and won a few races) and like 1/4 now when i cant get out as much.
Trust me, ask anybody who knows me, i get just as pissed now when i lose as i ever have.
I hang out with 5 or 6 guys with Mopar race cars here locally. All are like me, little older, love to race every chance they can, but life’s priorities dont allow it. All of us will be at Norwalk, and i sponsor a race. And every one of us like 1/4 mile WAY better.
Oh, and i spend plenty of money at the track spectating. Bracket races here start at 8 on Saturday mornings. I dont get out of work till 2, and Saturday is a busy day for us( own a car dealership)..... but often times am up at the track after work watching...... one of the pitiful few who do.

Don...I'm busting balls but it does have a ring of truth. I don't deny the passion of every racer....but...the tides are rolling toward 1/8th mile...rather than protest why not embrace it like John (Pittsburgracer) ? Personally my car will run either with no issues but if I have a choice I would rather not beat on it if I can. And as stated previously all the big money stuff is 1/8th anyway.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 09:03 PM

Don...I'm busting balls but it does have a ring of truth. I don't deny the passion of every racer....but...the tides are rolling toward 1/8th mile...rather than protest why not embrace it like John (Pittsburgracer) ? Personally my car will run either with no issues but if I have a choice I would rather not beat on it if I can. And as stated previously all the big money stuff is 1/8th anyway.

I hear ya about the big money stuff. But even the majority of weekly points racers arent in the league of guys who win that stuff.
That Matt Daddis( sp) guy was at the 50/125/50 race at 131 little while back. They raced for 6 k on Wed, 20k on Thursday, then the big money over the weekend. I watched a lot of it. Even a guy of his caliber, dont think he made it past 4 rounds any day, and less most of the time. Results are posted on 131 website
So the fact they run those “ business” type races on 1/8 means nothing to me. At my best years ago, i was never in that class. Guys with multiple entry’s yada, yada. That is guys shellout out several thousand bucks because they think they can beat guys like Folk and those others. Those weekends i am out on my boat after work taking a nice refreshing dip.... lol

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 09:05 PM

a car that goes 180-200 in the 1/8 is at least 6 figures.
Posted By: theraif

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 09:15 PM

my twocents on the issue
Posted By: moetown

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 09:22 PM

The bottom line is:

I will race 1/8 or 1/4 bracket races as long as they pay green money. I prefer 1/4. This assumes I ever finish my car. panic

I would not pay to watch an 1/8 mile bracket race. whistling

1/8 and 1/4 mile heads up races are some of the most exciting racing available. I go to as many as I can, and watch the rest on the internet when available. drive
Posted By: BradH

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 09:44 PM

I won't post my perspective on this, cuz it'll just cause some people to say my opinion isn't worth sh!t for not being an active racer any longer. But I'll still follow the post as it evolves to see what people say on the topic... even if certain comments have left me a bit eyes.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 09:57 PM

I hear ya about the big money stuff. But even the majority of weekly points racers arent in the league of guys who win that stuff.
That Matt Daddis( sp) guy was at the 50/125/50 race at 131 little while back. They raced for 6 k on Wed, 20k on Thursday, then the big money over the weekend. I watched a lot of it. Even a guy of his caliber, dont think he made it past 4 rounds any day, and less most of the time. Results are posted on 131 website
So the fact they run those “ business” type races on 1/8 means nothing to me. At my best years ago, i was never in that class. Guys with multiple entry’s yada, yada. That is guys shellout out several thousand bucks because they think they can beat guys like Folk and those others. Those weekends i am out on my boat after work taking a nice refreshing dip.... lol

Don just to clarify one of the locals won the 125K on Saturday and another lost at 3 cars. We had locals in deep on friday and sunday also.
The race was well supported by the locals.

Al
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 10:24 PM

I can't stand 1/8 mile, it's like you are just getting started and it is over. 1 reason is too many people are watching street outlaws.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 10:28 PM

What does street outlaws have to do w/ 1/8 mile drag racing?
Like I said earlier, 1/8 mile racing has always been big down south and the 1/8 mile headsup stuff was big way before the show came on TV...and they aren't even small tire racers.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By Mr.Yuck
I can't stand 1/8 mile, it's like you are just getting started and it is over. 1 reason is too many people are watching street outlaws.

Ya we were real "street Outlaws in the 70's. LOL

Me at Nu-Be 001 by John Cadamore, on Flickr
Posted By: BradH

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/02/18 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By Mr.Yuck

Ya we were real "street Outlaws in the 70's. LOL

As far back the '80s, the local street race scene had people that raced 1/8 and people that raced 1/4, mostly because of what their local tracks ran. The guys from Manassas and Sumerduck (both 1/8 mile) would occasionally come over to Maryland (all 1/4 mile) and half the argument during the negotiations was what length race to run. The 1/8-mile guys complained their stuff would run out of gear in the 1/4, and the 1/4 guys would complain their "junk" wouldn't show its stuff on a "short track".

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 12:17 AM

Everyone says 1/8 is what all the big money tracks run but I don't see NHRA or IHRA national events running 1/8 mile ? Ron
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 12:46 AM

Everyone says 1/8 is what all the big money tracks run but I don't see NHRA or IHRA national events running 1/8 mile ? Ron

All the big $ events are 1/8 mile because that's what the people want. The group who prefers 1/4 is getting smaller by the season. With costs where they are, 1/8 is preferred for equipment life and getting large car counts through 8+ rounders.

National events will likely be the last to concede...but more people big $ bracket race than go class racing.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 01:20 AM

When was the last time NHRA paid $50,000-$100,000 for the winner of a race?
That's what the radial 1/8 mile races pay.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 01:33 AM

Almost weekly bracket races on the east coast in the 20,000.00 range. How much does pro stock pay now and how much does a competitive car cost.
Posted By: nss guy

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 02:38 AM

I use to hate 1/8 mile, now I go with flow. I actually like it when they change to 1/8 mile mid race due to track conditions, half the guys are already done, they hate it so much that they give the races away.

It kind of goes with the saying " I"m not here to win, just to hangout with my friends, then once they win a race or two that changes and they are there to WIN! lol

Me, I just want to be lucky.......

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 02:44 AM

Who pays that much to a single winner ? Ron
Posted By: nss guy

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 02:48 AM

March 22-24th the best of the best and the baddest of the bad on small tires will converge at South Georgia Motorsports Park, in Valdosta, Georgia to race for the richest prize in heads-up drag racing, $101,000 to win in the balls-to-the-wall Radial VS the World Class. A race like this could only be put together by the eccentric promoter Donald “Duck” Long, and his Duck-X Productions staff.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 03:00 AM

http://sfgpromotions.com

Pretty much every one of their races is $50k a day...in 2019 they offer one with a gaurenteed purse of $500k. Bracket racing, not radial specific.

Pretty much anything above a regular points day type event is 1/8 mile only. Only time I really ever do 1/4s is in NSS classes.
Posted By: plycuda

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 03:23 AM

thia is getting to be like the pinion angle thread every 6 months. I started racing almost 40 years ago and the 2 closest tracks were 1/8 mile, so I don't know how long ago everyone keeps talking about that it was all 1/4 mile. both those tracks were open way before I started racing

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By A39Coronet

Pretty much every one of their races is $50k a day...in 2019 they offer one with a gaurenteed purse of $500k. Bracket racing, not radial specific.

Pretty much anything above a regular points day type event is 1/8 mile only. Only time I really ever do 1/4s is in NSS classes.

They really pay the winner 50k ?? What do they charge to get in the race ? I know I am only small time but I have only been around NSS races the last 10 years and see winner payouts from $250 up to about $650 in the ones I have raced in or watched. Course the NSS races run from about $60 dollars to about $175 to enter that I have seen. Ron

I do understand fast power adder race cars cost a ton of money to build also.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 03:27 AM

Most of those races are $650+ per entry for the three day weekend. I think the $500k is $1350 for the single event. Buy backs in the $500 range I believe.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 05:14 AM

Originally Posted By A39Coronet

And open the link and look at those entry fees - and then tell me you could go to race every week!!!! Yea right - not exactly what the weekly or bi weekly racer can afford.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 06:19 AM

And open the link and look at those entry fees - and then tell me you could go to race every week!!!! Yea right - not exactly what the weekly or bi weekly racer can afford.

What's the old saying, if you want to dance you have to pay the fiddler. You can't expect to race for $500,000 and only pay a $250 entry fee.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 06:25 AM

Originally Posted By justinp61

What's the old saying, if you want to dance you have to pay the fiddler. You can't expect to race for $500,000 and only pay a $250 entry fee.

I understand that but everyone keeps bringing up the BIG $$$$ races and I would like to know how many of these guys posting here go to these races weekly or bi weekly? I'm sure the guys with deep pockets go often but NOT the guy that wants to race once or twice a month. So yea what I'm saying is like mentioned before it's a fad and when the $$$$ dry up it will be gone.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 06:43 AM

If the $$$$$ dry up won't all racing be gone? If something were to happen and I had a serious life changing event there would be no racing for me. I think most of up play where or pocket books will allow us to. Mine won't allow me to play in their game, or any of the high level races. Thats why my rig was built to drive too, I can enjoy it without going to the track. You get in where you fit in.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 12:09 PM

I understand that but everyone keeps bringing up the BIG $$$$ races and I would like to know how many of these guys posting here go to these races weekly or bi weekly? I'm sure the guys with deep pockets go often but NOT the guy that wants to race once or twice a month. So yea what I'm saying is like mentioned before it's a fad and when the $$$$ dry up it will be gone.

This type of racing has been going on for at least 9 years, at least the no mercy event has.
Stands are at max capacity.
SPECTATORS are what makes the track money, NOT racers.
How packed are the stands when you race?
Do they have to turn people away at the gate, because the track is at max capacity?
There is no shortage of money coming in, therefore there’s no shortage going back out.

Race one event and win $50,000-100,000 ( plus side bets). How many events would you need to win where the payout is $500-1,000?

These events aren’t for the casual racer. These are guys that own shops. Most events the track is open by Tuesday and qualifying is wed/Thursday/Friday. 5-6 classes, with 32 cars each. THAT is where the money comes from.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 02:28 PM

There's usually ATLEAST one small tire 1/8 mile shootout every weekend at one of the MANY tracks within 3 hours drive of my house paying $2k or better to the winner w/ entry fees from $50 on up.
So yeah, the big money races are expensive and out of reach for most guys to do very often, but there are plenty of smaller races paying more than what most of you guys are used to happening all the time to keep em busy.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 03:17 PM

We have a local monthly 1/8 mile heads up program in Ohio that I hope to race in someday. It pays out 3500.00 for a very low entry fee because these classes drawl supporting sponsors that handle the payouts. Not big money but it’s a fun class and 80 miles from home.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 04:41 PM

As usual when it becomes all about money, the fun will soon be gone and we start talking about how great it used to be.

If your local track is 1/8 I get it. But if your track is 1/4 and you are doing for the sake of faster program or parts carnage , come on man. Are you a gearhead or not?

My car with my other engine in it (that was the last time I ran 1/8)
Ran 1.3's 60 foots 6.20's at 110. I shifted at 6550 and my shift light would come on within 100 foot of the 1/8. Shift 3rd and get off the gas. Woo that's real fun??????? realcrazy

Now If I was grown up on 1/8 I would probably have 5.38's or something.

As for racing, from 1992 -2014. I never missed a weekend. And could have cared less for what the purse was. We did it for fun. Heck my first child was born on a Saturday, and guess where I was? (I don't recommend this now that I am older work ).

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 05:39 PM

As usual when it becomes all about money, the fun will soon be gone and we start talking about how great it used to be.

If your local track is 1/8 I get it. But if your track is 1/4 and you are doing for the sake of faster program or parts carnage , come on man. Are you a gearhead or not?

Ran 1.3's 60 foots 6.20's at 110. I shifted at 6550 and my shift light would come on within 100 foot of the 1/8. Shift 3rd and get off the gas. Woo that's real fun??????? realcrazy

As for racing, from 1992 -2014. I never missed a weekend. And could have cared less for what the purse was. We did it for fun. Heck my first child was born on a Saturday, and guess where I was? (I don't recommend this now that I am older work ).

The fast 1/8 mile guys, are going 3.60’s at over 200 mph. They would be at the end of th3 1/4, by the time you get to the 1/8. That kind of power is hard on parts.
It’s not uncommon for those guys to change trans fluid after every run, because it gets cooked. Or change stators in their converters between rounds.
You can’t compare something with say, 700hp, to something with 3,500.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 05:52 PM

Man give it a break on the guys running 3's and 4's. This is MOPARTS and we are a bunch of slow guys that love bracket racing or test n tuning. It comes down to which you prefer for us and then we make our choices. Box class in my area is almost all 1/8 mile but if I chose I can pull the box and run 1/4 mile. We can beat this horse till it dead and gone.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 05:53 PM

1/4 mile here for me. That is how it always has been and that is how it should always be. Me, being an all steel Hemi car. I will always have that top end charge.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By DusterKid

What a load. Been racing for a half a century, probably longer than you've been alive.......certainly a 'true racer'. I guess if being a 'true racer' is some yuppie who uses the car as a tool to make money, and next week is into Harleys or something, maybe I'm not. As a driver, I can see how some do like 8th better, but overall, it's bad for the sport. With less and less car count, big money races are going to fade.....the tracks can't afford the payout and they are not getting the car counts to support it. It's more of a problem each year. Drag racing is a passion, you look at it as a business.
Posted By: dvw

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 06:46 PM

Big money 1/8 races (or 1/4 for that matter)? Who is getting the big money? Trying to race to make money? You are either A; in a very, very small group. Or B; a poor businessman. Most of us race for fun, myself included. If it wasn't fun, I'd quit. Money is just a nice side benefit which the majority never sees. Personally my belief is 1/8 is insurance driven. I don't hate it, just like 1/4 better.
Doug
Posted By: 64hemi330sedan

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 06:56 PM

I LIKE THE QUATER MILE BETTER AND I WILL NOT ADD TO THE PISSING MATCH.

Attached picture 12573654_1273906055959231_3549682034992417937_n.jpg

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 07:03 PM

Yeah, Doug, it sure could be insurance driven. Track prep driven, too, it a lot of tracks have $1K in prepping a quarter mile track before a car heads down. I'm sure insurance is part of it.

Track prep is much more important than it was, and I get it. An old B body will hook in a grease pit. These modern lightweights on small tires can get hairy.

I really think it's because a lot of the racers of today see it totally different. I don't see the passion in a lot of these guys, I see a pseudo business. When I was a young guy, Keystone ran 3 times a week, and we were there every time they opened the gates. When KRP wasn't open we'd be a Mason Dixon or Quaker City, or somewhere else. We'd race for a bag of chips. Heck, most nostalgia racers of today are the same way. Now, the guys, for the most part are satisfied with one day a week, and not motivated by the same thing.

Even at Keystone....they tried to host a couple of big money, 8th mile races this year and really didn't get much support from the locals. Just the real, real hard cores show up for the money, and there is not enough of them to keep it going. It seems many showed up on Friday night to race for points, then loaded up and went boating or something. I visited the weekend afterward, and the place was deserted, relatively speaking. This cannot continue, these tracks do not have money trees to just pick it off and give it out. It seems to be going on everywhere. I speak to a LOT of track operators that tell me the same thing.

The motivation seems to be completely different. It seems that we were always tinkering to go faster, or quicker, with every different combo and within our budget. Now, that doesn't seem to be the motivation, it seems to be how much money we can win. And, if we can win the same money in 60 foot racing, that is what we want.

Not saying that is a particularly bad thing. But, it's different. But, it's kind of foreign to me.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 07:28 PM

With less and less car count, big money races are going to fade.....the tracks can't afford the payout and they are not getting the car counts to support it.

Let me correct you on this one Steve. Its a win win for these tracks having big money events if its done right. The best run big money races that I go to are run by race promoters. They basically rent the track and then promote their races. Loose Rocker run by Micheal Beard and his partner know how to run a race. Several other "big guns" are also great race promoters. They are big name guys that drawl sponsor bucks to these events. Prises are given out all weekend long to the racers. These races will help keep tracks open "BUT" your smaller tracks better step up their game some.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 07:51 PM

http://sfgpromotions.com/

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 07:55 PM

Where is that "beating the dead horse emoji" I asked about in my first post? lol

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 08:13 PM

Well I'll ad this...I have been to only four races so far this year. Life is throwing me a bit of a curve ball. The first was at Richmond $225 for two 10k's...place was packed. Second the American Dream race at Dragway 42...$499 for three 20k's....Wafflebatter on here runnered up on Sat...sold out show. Then to Pittsburgh for thier Sniper Series..went Sunady for the $2500 race...it was a ghost town. Back to 42 for a points day $60 entry for 2k....place was jammed. All of these are 1/8 mile. I'm entered in the SFG race at 42 also in August $750 entry for three 75k's. I choose to spend my money at tracks I enjoy regardless of the driving distance and racing distance. While I perfer 1/8th mile I'm not going to cry or bring my ball home if it's 1/4. You guys want tracks at all I would suggest adapting to what is available. JMHO

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 09:37 PM

I guess that shows me I am definetly in with the poor boys. It takes some serious money to even enter some of them races. More power to those who can swing it but I even complain about the $150 dollar NSS races. It takes money to play and that takes alot to play in. This sure is turning into what it usually does when this comes up. I will say I am surprised how many say they always raced the 1/8 as all I remember in my area most of my life was only 1/4 mile tracks and that may be one reason I love the 1/4 mile much better. Its what drag racing has always been to me. I may not be in the majority any more since I love the N/A NSS racing and the Pure Stock and FAST muscle cars and never have had any interest in power adder cars. As I said that's just me as we all have what we like best as I just hope the NSS and 1/4 mile racing that I love stays around for my lifetime which may only be about 20 more years. Man that don't sound like a lot of years ? LoL. Ron
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 10:35 PM

I think this is a great conversation to be having and everyone has there own opinion and it's nice to hear what actually drives a person to commit to what they do, whether for fun or money. up

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/03/18 11:54 PM

John, in a deal where the track leases the place to a promoter, it can work. But, the money has to come from the outside. And, there are only so many of the outside guys willing to make that investment around.

A bracket program is not a money maker for the local tracks. No way. It is a break even deal, at best. When it's leased to guys like Mike who brings outside money with him, it can work for the group leasing the track. If the promoter tries to do this on his own dime, he will lose his shirt. Guarantee it. I think the cost of prepping the track, clean up, etc., is another big reason why 8th mile seems to on the move. It's a dollar game. I totally get that.

So many folks do not realize the overhead that comes in running a drag strip. It is incredible. You have insurance, utilities, payroll, workman's comp (that's a requirement), advertising, promotion, and so many other expenses that go on year round. And, of course there is taxes, especially local and property. Maintenence. A mortgage or a lease payment. On and on. There is only maybe 50 race dates during the course of the summer in the northeast where you can cover all of those, and turn a profit. And, the goal in business is to turn a profit. If you don't, it isn't going to be there. A very good now retired drag strip owner told me that when you broke everything down, year round expenses, it cost about $3000 an hour to operate the drag strip for every hour it's open. I know that there are so many guys who will scoff at that figure, but anyone who has a business of any size and keeps close eyes on the numbers won't.

The money for these big money races HAS to come from the outside. . It's easy to say that it costs $200 to enter, so they must be making a killing. Everything is relative. That is not pure profit for the promoter. Not by a long shot.

Now, if 8th mile is the future, it's the future. Nothing I can do or say can change that. I hope not, though, as I can't stand it. And, I think such a radical shift in the basics of the sport will cost a lot more than folks think, as far as losing basic interest by outsiders, and racers. Personally, At the age of 66 I don't have to do this anymore. So, as I mentioned, if 8th mile was the only option I had it would be time to take everything to nostalgia shows, sit in a chair and tell lies, and pack the racing part of it in. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/04/18 12:16 AM

The track doesn’t care what racers want. Because racers don’t make the track money.
How many of you, spend money at the track on conssesions, and suvoniers?
I’d bet you pack a cooler with cold drinks, and some sandwiches, instead of paying $12 for greasy fries burger and drink. I used to bring a small cooler in the trunk with a few drinks, and a sandwich or two. Only went to “ test and tune” just to make a few passes in my car.
I didn’t make the track money.
What makes the money, is spectators in the stands. People that will buy food, drinks, t shirts, hats, etc.
If a lot of spectators came to the track to see clown riding unicycles juggling bowling pins go down the track, they would have those events.
Doesn’t mater what the racers want. It matters what the people who buy stuff from the track want. That is what keeps them in business, and what packs the stands right now, is 1/8 mile racing.
Posted By: moparx

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/04/18 03:20 PM

and to think, i, and several others, used to complain about the $5, 6, and $7 race fees, with $10 and $12 race fees on holiday or "specials" at nu-be back in the late 60's, early 70's ! laugh2 ........ but we showed up at every one !
beer
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/04/18 06:07 PM

Funny.... there was a time where if someone asked me what my car ran in the 1/8th I wouldn’t have been able to tell them.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/05/18 09:30 AM

I went to one of my local tracks last night and it was PACKED. They were running 6.00 & 7.00 heads up, a Ultimate street class, a heads up 28 x 10 tire class and a match race between a Blown Hemi 40 Willys and a Blown Hemi 53 Studebaker. The Quickest pass was a 3.89 @ 200 mph. There was no bracket racing.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/05/18 04:18 PM

Was that at Huntsville? That track has always been pretty innovative in getting the seats filled. Years ago when George Howard was running it he started the "Million Dollar Race", initiated index racing and had a one nite a month Outlaw Pro Mod Series. There was not a seat in the house on pro mod nite. This track was my intro to 1/8mi racing in 1990.
Posted By: mills.mopar

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/05/18 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By D-50
I went to one of my local tracks last night and it was PACKED. They were running 6.00 & 7.00 heads up, a Ultimate street class, a heads up 28 x 10 tire class and a match race between a Blown Hemi 40 Willys and a Blown Hemi 53 Studebaker. The Quickest pass was a 3.89 @ 200 mph. There was no bracket racing.

I love index racing! Our problem is around here we don't have the car count to do it. Last year the track tried some index weekends, is was pitiful, I think they had two cars for the 7.50 class (1/8th mile). However they have a 4.70 index race once a month and it does very well. Guaranteed payout for the 4.70 guys, and I think free entry, but I'm not positive.

Jeff.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/05/18 07:16 PM

Its fine to have and express your opinions but that doesn't solve the issue.I have been racing and sponsoring events more years than I want to remember.The success of the events should not be the burden of the racers attending and their money being the sole source of the payout.Our events guarantee the payout regardless of car count,we get the moneys from sponsors before the event takes place.We don't base anything on car count but make sure the racers get rewarded for supporting the event.
Many times the car count is not what is expected but one must be prepared for the circumstances that effect the attendance,ie: weather,personal issues and how well the event is advertised.The racers who attend should never be penalized.We seen many promoters cut the payout without notice and they end up out of business.
With this being said lets address Steve's original statement about quarter mile verses eight mile racing.We know Steve's opinion but need to look beyond personal opinion and look to the facts.Fact 1 being that there has been eighth mile racing since the beginning of the sport.I remember racing at many tracks that were cut out of patchs of cornfields,bean fields ,abandoned airstrips,old stretches of highways and the illegal street races where ever a drag could take place.Most all those races were eighth mile or less as most street races were not actually a measured distance,ie stop light to stop light or other monuments.

Fact 2,many existing tracks are embracing eighth mile racing for economic reasons,safty reasons and the advance power and speed abilities of todays racecars.Even NHRA has reduced the distance in top fuel.

Fact 3, Dragracing success is not based on quarter mile distance.It can be defined as getting from point A to point B.The success is the ability of the driver to cut the better reaction tine and drive the track all the way to the stripe and best his opponent.

Fact 4,the next item is the racecar itself.It has to meet the requirements of it class and have all the necessary componants to be consistant and competitive.

Fact 5,Taking into consideration the combination of a talented consistant driver and a well built consistant racecar and put them on a good track with they will prevail on either a quarter mile or eigth mile track.Since the future looks more like its heading to the shorter track,racers will just have to accept the facts and adapt.If not all the crying and biching and threats of quitting is only effecting the person fighting the trend.

I have to ask those who seem to critize and predict doom and gloom for our sport are you a racer or politician,all talk and no action.I for one will continue to support our sport and participate in anyway possible.I see many who critize but only race once in a while at particular events and some that never race at all.I love racing quarter mile but also race the eighth mile when necessary and it has been our sport since it began.Please don't ask how old I'am whistling
Posted By: Sport440

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/05/18 08:29 PM

Well said. Im not going to ask how old you are and never would. but, when did you say you were born again?? devil

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/05/18 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By Sport440
Well said. Im not going to ask how old you are and never would. but, when did you say you were born again?? devil

He's old, trust me he's OLD. Heck of an nice guy but did I tell you he's old.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/05/18 08:44 PM

NHRA runs their stuff 1/4 mile, except for the fuel cars and an occasional 1/8 mile deal. Big money brackets are 1/8 normally. Super Pro is 1/8 or 1/4 depending on the track. PDRA is 1/8. I can't imagine the mess that would be if they tried to run 1/4.

If you don't like vanilla, get chocolate. If you don't like those, get strawberry. All are equally important and relevant, and none are wrong. Variety is the spice of life. Do what you want.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/05/18 08:58 PM

I know how old he is, but I won't say anything because I love the guy.

The sport is changing, and is going to change. I get that. It's unavoidable. Everything changes, and it's totally unavoidable.

Bob is right, there has always been 8th mile racing around. Always. But, it was never really the 'standardized' version that defines what the sport is. Now it seems to be moving in that direction, and I'm not convinced that it is good. But, I realize that Hemi or wedge 1965 B bodies are not going to be mainstay of drag racing for much longer.

My issue is this....where does the track operator fit in all of this? Everyone speaks as if having a drag strip, either one, in your back yard is a given. It's not. It's a business. It runs on money. If the operator can't make a decent living, the gates will not be open. That is a hard fact.

During the course of the year, a drag strip has to pay payroll, insurance, utilities, taxes, Workman's Comp (that is required by law) which is incredibly expensive, advertising, maintenance, promotion and on and on. Probably a mortgage. During that time, in the northeast, one might have 50 or so race dates to make that up. The expenses do not stop when the track is closed.

We sat down with a well known promoter (not Greg, for those of you wondering), and did the math. For every hour the track is open, it costs about $3000 to operate, and that is conservative. That is breaking down the annual cost vs hours of operation. This operator told me that it was closer to $5K an hour. The promoter loses a day or so to weather, and he/she cannot make that up. It's gone.

Local bracket racing does not draw, and does not make the operator money. It is a break even deal at best. He has to do things to bring different types of cars and customers into the track. That's why so many operators are taking the emphasis off of brackets and into all this other kind of stuff. Like any business, you've got to find where the money is.

Watching specific built bracket cars race 8th mile on a quarter mile track is not even a spectator friendly operation. The cars are as specialized today as the class cars that they were built to replace. The distance may not make a difference, though, and I get that, too. It does cut down on the operator's cost, and that is a good thing. Now, I don't like 8th mile for the reasons mentioned. I just don't like it, at all. Some of that is personal preference, and I realize that many disagree. Some of it s generational, and I get that, too.

Look at some of the pics from Keystone (or anywhere else) of bracket racing in the 70s and 80s. The cars were more varied, and there was definitely people in the grandstands. Folks would pack a cooler and make a day of it. I see some of that in the grandstands at our nostalgia events, which amazes me. I never in a million years thought it would draw a modest gate, I thought we were just a bunch of old guys screwing around. But, it's caused me to really put some thought into this.

It is changing, and it will survive in one form or another. Just my thoughts.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/05/18 09:52 PM

Well said!

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/05/18 09:55 PM

I should just worry about getting my duster faster,That way I can index race at 13.50 and won't be throw into open comp class running 1/8 mile.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/05/18 10:11 PM

Man, I'll tell everybody. With the bizarre years I lost, every time I let go of the button and go on the rev limiter, I'm a happy, happy 65 year old fart. 👍
Posted By: dare_dude

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/05/18 10:23 PM

Well said Bob George! I just enjoy racing when I can! No matter what length of
Track!

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/06/18 06:43 AM

Originally Posted By Blucuda413
Was that at Huntsville? That track has always been pretty innovative in getting the seats filled. Years ago when George Howard was running it he started the "Million Dollar Race", initiated index racing and had a one nite a month Outlaw Pro Mod Series. There was not a seat in the house on pro mod nite. This track was my intro to 1/8mi racing in 1990.

No it was at Lassiter Mountain Dragway about 75 miles south of Huntsville. It has been around since 1957... About 4 or 5 years ago George Howard also ran this track.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/06/18 03:01 PM

Most older tracks that were 1/4 mile,that are now 1/8, would need a bucket truck to get the cars out of the trees if they went back to 1/4.

Average joe blow cars are faster than fuel cars where when some of these tracks were built.

I'm totally happy with 1/8th mile. Staying in the gas for a couple seconds longer, for me, isn't worth the damage it does. Not to mention not having to repack chutes every run. Then think about the oil downs you'll add to an already frustrating situation. Too many broken cars from the 1/8th, go to 1/4 and the number will double.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/06/18 07:31 PM

75-80 was short when we ran 1/4 there in the 80s. When they re-opened for a while a few years back, they were basically a "street legal", drag radial type deal and ran 1/8. Lots of little country strips that began as 1/4 mile and are now 1/8.
Posted By: HEMI472

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/07/18 07:20 AM

I don't get some of you guys ?? how are motors blowing up if it runs 1/4 mile ??? they don't blow up on the starting line or in the burn out box ?? most cars are geared for the 1/4 mile and if they start gearing them for the 1/8 they will blow up too. just look at top fuel they went to 1000 feet so they would not blow up and guess what they are blowing up at 1000 feet now . don't nascar motors last for hours at 9000 rpm and you cant make on live under 13 seconds. I think nhra picked a 1/4 mile and thats what it should be . I don't see them shorting the bonneville salt flats . just look at most of the cars that race 1/8 cars that are not inspected or pass tech. they are people trying to run 4000 hp car on no prep tracks or you got guys trying to run 2500 hp cars on 275 60 15 tires well guess what they are going to wreck. look at pro mod cars they got big tires same power on a prepped track and they run 1/4 mile and for you guys that think it is faster to run a 1/8 mile show how is it if cars let off at the 1/8 and go slow the other 1/2 mile on the race track and you are setting in the burn out box waiting on them to get off the track. but I think it should be 1/4 mile. if it goes to 1/8 mile whats next ?? be like kye Kelley you cant out 60 foot me. so everyone will race to the 60
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/08/18 05:54 AM

When I first started reading about racing at the Bonneville Salt Flats in the mid 1960s they raced on a 16 mile long course, not that long now (maybe 7 miles, probably shorter) due to the salt mining of the great Salt Lake whiney
NHRA mandated the rear gear ratio and tire sizes as well as C.I., blower size, fuel type and specs. and probably a lot of other thing trying to slow the top fueler and funny cars down long before they went to 1000 Ft racing work
I made four passes today at our local 1/8 mile track in my 1970 S/P Cuda, I red lighted by-.032 first round whiney It is in Madras, OR. It use to be a 1/4 mile track back in the early 1960s, some drag racing is better than none work
Posted By: Sport440

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/08/18 06:33 AM

Originally Posted By dthemi
Most older tracks that were 1/4 mile,that are now 1/8, would need a bucket truck to get the cars out of the trees if they went back to 1/4.

Average joe blow cars are faster than fuel cars where when some of these tracks were built.

I'm totally happy with 1/8th mile. Staying in the gas for a couple seconds longer, for me, isn't worth the damage it does. Not to mention not having to repack chutes every run. Then think about the oil downs you'll add to an already frustrating situation. Too many broken cars from the 1/8th, go to 1/4 and the number will double.

I agree with this, the first track I raced at was 1/4 mile, magnolia in Ohio. I cant believe some cars would actually run into the 9.9s back in the day.

Some did run off the end at sometimes. Its now a 1/8th mile only and running 6.6 in the 1/8 or a equivalent 10.4 is a challenge/event to get the car slowed up in time to make the turn. Im fine with the 1/8th mile. Like stated, our cars today, are making much more power and putting it to the ground, over driving some of these Older tracks.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/08/18 01:59 PM

As for motors popping after the 8th, it's a very real problem. Most of the carnage happens after the 8th. Loaded up in high gear is where it gets ugly anyway. Now hold it there for twice the distance. Oiling issues, cylinder temperature,all get magnified. The hit, and pull through low gear for me is the best part. After the 330 most of us are along for the ride. For me I'd rather spend the capability, and life of my motors in the 8th. Ringing them out in the quarter is fun, of course, but just not practical given the circumstances anymore.

Also not to be rude, but more often than not, the guys that hate the 8th are not going very fast. Go faster, and you'll start to appreciate the 8th IMO
Posted By: HEMI472

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/09/18 08:25 AM

ok lets say a car goes 6.5 in the 1/8 witch is around 10.0s is the 1/4 so that's only 3.5 seconds longer and its less if the car is faster . I know its hard on the motor but it should be still going up in rpm so why would it hurt it? it went to the max rpm in 1st and 2nd gear why would 3rd be any different? I go to the dirt car races and them motors make around 900 hp and them guys are on and off the gas and spinning the tires and bouncing it off the rev limiter about every lap.they last around 400 laps before they rebuild them. the track here is 5/8 mile long and the straight aways are long so I am sure they are hitting the rev limiter. most other tracks are way smaller

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/09/18 11:48 AM

Originally Posted By HEMI472
ok lets say a car goes 6.5 in the 1/8 witch is around 10.0s is the 1/4 so that's only 3.5 seconds longer and its less if the car is faster . I know its hard on the motor but it should be still going up in rpm so why would it hurt it? it went to the max rpm in 1st and 2nd gear why would 3rd be any different? I go to the dirt car races and them motors make around 900 hp and them guys are on and off the gas and spinning the tires and bouncing it off the rev limiter about every lap.they last around 400 laps before they rebuild them. the track here is 5/8 mile long and the straight aways are long so I am sure they are hitting the rev limiter. most other tracks are way smaller

Most 1/8 mile cars are two speeds, and would be at max rpm at the 1/8.th.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/09/18 04:26 PM

I have no problems with the 1/4 or folks that prefer it. What some people don't understand for a lot of us if it weren't for 1/8 mile racing there would be no racing. The 1/4 is not an option unless we make long drives and no more serious than I am about it I won't do it. There are tracks in my area that are 35-40 years old and have always been 1/8 mile, never a 1/4.

As far as the engines go the majority of race cars around here are built for the 1/8 so they are geared to be near or at their max rmp at the stripe. Most of these guys use the same quality parts that anyone else that races uses in their cars, so it's not like they are junk. Although some are, just like there is junk running the 1/4.

Get in where you fit in, if you don't fit, move along.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/09/18 04:31 PM

1/8, 1/4, light to light, from a roll, top end, ect its all racing and its all good imo.

But I do think 1/8 or things like light to light makes one have to have there car more spot on, the 1/4 or long runs can make up for alot mis matched parts.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/10/18 02:30 PM

I know this is a dead horse topic, but, consider this.

When you're talking about a ten second car, that would be a slower car at a normal bracket race anymore. Take your 10 sec car and drop the rear gear to be slightly over peak at the stripe in the 8th. Get it working on the line with everything you can throw at it. Lower gearing, more tire, better shocks, whatever you need to plant it. You might find you like a shorter track better when the car plants you harder in the seat.

This way you get to launch, and pull like a much faster car, because you need nothing left for the other half of the track.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/11/18 02:12 PM

I agree with Darren,most of the guys that prefer quarter mile racing have a 10 second car or slower and most are not serious racers who participate on a regular basis.I know from personal experience that with a fast car 8 seconds and quicker a lot of things can happen real fast at 150/200+ mph that you can't react to,"especially at my age".just watch Street Outlaws,see what happens in their short races.Hang on a go for the ride and hope it ends well.Look at the top NHRA classes with all the controls and safety regulations and some of the terriable results.
Me personally, I like to be the "show" after the launch and the big wheelstand then the rest is the ride to the Dairy Queen

As far as the comment that local bracket racers not being the mainstay of the local dragstrip,I respectfully disagree.It's true the the large events bring in more revenue it also cost more to have a large event ie: advertising,paying the exhibition racers and attractions for the event,extra staff and all the other related cost.

A usual bracket day cost the owners minimal in outlay of cash since it comes from a portion of the entry fees of the racer.Also on any give bracket race there can be schudled test and tune runs and lets not forget the abundance of street cars that also race at the bracket events.These events cost a minimal amont for small staff and insurance for the day.So any smart track operator can turn a profit,if they didn't they wouldn't continue the events.Even with the downturn in the sport there are new tracks opening,old tracks refurbishing and more interesting events planned.I call BS on some information of cost as we have put on events,have had track rentals and sponsored race days over many years.So unless you actually have reached into your own pocket to pay for such events,then your info is only your "best guestimate"and you should get some real facts and insite in to our sport before screaming the "sky is falling" like Chicken Little and hide behind the barn.Negative response like political tactics and fake news can only hurt our sport like what is happening in our world today.I base my comments on facts and stand behind them based on actual experience.Respectfully Bob.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/12/18 02:41 AM

1/4 mile or 1/8 mile it don't matter to me I am just happy to be alive to be able to go to the track and race or even just make tnt passes.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/12/18 03:03 AM

Bingo

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/12/18 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By dartman366
1/4 mile or 1/8 mile it don't matter to me I am just happy to be alive to be able to go to the track and race or even just make tnt passes.

That's the way I feel. I like to race. I would do it even if it was 300 ft.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/12/18 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By B G Racing
I agree with Darren,most of the guys that prefer quarter mile racing have a 10 second car or slower and most are not serious racers who participate on a regular basis.I know from personal experience that with a fast car 8 seconds and quicker a lot of things can happen real fast at 150/200+ mph that you can't react to,"especially at my age".just watch Street Outlaws,see what happens in their short races.Hang on a go for the ride and hope it ends well.Look at the top NHRA classes with all the controls and safety regulations and some of the terriable results.
Me personally, I like to be the "show" after the launch and the big wheelstand then the rest is the ride to the Dairy Queen

As far as the comment that local bracket racers not being the mainstay of the local dragstrip,I respectfully disagree.It's true the the large events bring in more revenue it also cost more to have a large event ie: advertising,paying the exhibition racers and attractions for the event,extra staff and all the other related cost.

A usual bracket day cost the owners minimal in outlay of cash since it comes from a portion of the entry fees of the racer.Also on any give bracket race there can be schudled test and tune runs and lets not forget the abundance of street cars that also race at the bracket events.These events cost a minimal amont for small staff and insurance for the day.So any smart track operator can turn a profit,if they didn't they wouldn't continue the events.Even with the downturn in the sport there are new tracks opening,old tracks refurbishing and more interesting events planned.I call BS on some information of cost as we have put on events,have had track rentals and sponsored race days over many years.So unless you actually have reached into your own pocket to pay for such events,then your info is only your "best guestimate"and you should get some real facts and insite in to our sport before screaming the "sky is falling" like Chicken Little and hide behind the barn.Negative response like political tactics and fake news can only hurt our sport like what is happening in our world today.I base my comments on facts and stand behind them based on actual experience.Respectfully Bob.

Love ya man, but those are some of the ...... comments i have ever read on here. And i have been on here forever.
Yea. Most guys who have 10 sec and slower cars like 1/4 mile. Because thats what most cars are. And most people prefer 1/4 mile. Its what the sport is. I have no idea what the new Demon runs in the 1/8 mile, never heard it ever mentioned. But i have heard 9.60’s ten million times. If 1/8 was so popular with the general populace, why not 1/8 times listed on 125k dollar super cars. Reason.... they want to sell them and an 1/8 time means nothing to 98% of the people in the country
I grant you, among hard core racers 1/8 is more popular. But not by much. Norwalk racers had a vote, i understand it was pretty close. And this is points racers voting.. Among all others (by far the bigger group) people could give two poops about 1/8 mile.
Go to the Fri night test and tunes at our local and popular 1/4 facility and its infested by a large number of kids. Zero of them want to shut them off at half track. And there are tons of them every week. Its definately the case of the minority being louder.
Is it changing, yes.

Go to the Monster Mopar event in two weeks. Probably be 500 race cars there. 70-75 % of them will run 10 flat or slower. All took time off work to be there and race. To me thats dedication to a hobby. I find very little correlation to dial in and how much somebody races.
Frankly, for me, its all about the extra cost of required safety equipment, containment devices, licenses, physicals, etc, etc, etc that make going 10.20 WAY more appealing to me than 9.80 or whatever. Been there, done that. Its just isnt to me worth the extra grief. Know lots of people wifh the same take on it. They love racing too. There is also the fact lots of people grow out of spending every last dime they have on a race car and forget everything else. Know lots like that. Many of them grow out of that and get more sensible and practical. Some dont
And i disagree strongly that ET has much relationship as to if somebody likes to race a lot.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/12/18 03:31 AM

I bet 1/8 mile tracks outnumber 1/4 mile tracks by 20 to 1. There are 7 1/8 mile tracks within 75 miles of my house.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/12/18 04:20 AM

Don come south and check your numbers on who prefers to race what.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/12/18 04:23 AM

Thats because you dont have a choice most are 1/8 down there. Not the case up here.
Nothing i said wasnt true.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/12/18 04:33 AM

Thats because you dont have a choice most are 1/8 down there. Not the case up here.

Exactly true Don - I have Norwalk, Thompson, Quaker City and 42 all within a 1 hour and 15 minute drive from me all 1/4 mile tracks. I can go to National Trails and Keystone in about 2 hours and also 1/4 mile tracks!!! and if I head to Michigan and Indy the story continues.

So for you in the South if that's all you have is 1/8 then that's what you run but up here we have plenty of 1/4 mile tracks and we all want to use every inch of them so why wouldn't we????

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/12/18 04:35 AM

My only chance to run 1/4 mile for me is on Friday test n tune at Keystone or about once a month they have a low paying combo race. Quaker City is 1/8 mile, I went to dragway 42 and it was 1/8 mile, Norwalk is 1/8 mile, Keystone is 1/8 mile, Monster Mopar is 1/8 mile. Run a box and they pick your racing distance

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/12/18 04:38 AM

My only chance to run 1/4 mile for me is on Friday test n tune at Keystone or about once a month they have a low paying combo race. Quaker City is 1/8 mile, I went to dragway 42 and it was 1/8 mile, Norwalk is 1/8 mile, Keystone is 1/8 mile, Monster Mopar is 1/8 mile. Run a box and they pick your racing distance

Dont run a box.
1/2 track is like foreplay and then no... um.... you know.... lol

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/12/18 04:40 AM

Exactly true Don - I have Norwalk, Thompson, Quaker City and 42 all within a 1 hour and 15 minute drive from me all 1/4 mile tracks. I can go to National Trails and Keystone in about 2 hours and also 1/4 mile tracks!!! and if I head to Michigan and Indy the story continues.

So for you in the South if that's all you have is 1/8 then that's what you run but up here we have plenty of 1/4 mile tracks and we all want to use every inch of them so why wouldn't we????

Lol... and them guys down South have copperheads and water moccasins and we dont up here.... they can keep them.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/12/18 04:43 AM

We have Clay City, Beech Bend, Indy, for 1/4 and London, US60, Beacon, Ohio Valley, Bluegrass, Cumberland, Evansville, Nashville, and a few I missed that are 1/8. All within 2.5 hours.

My car will run faster (151 MPH) in the 1/8 then you can get to on the 1/4.
Posted By: cudatom

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/12/18 05:06 AM

Pretty sure that both 42 and Norwalk are only 1/4 for T&T.

But yeah its pretty awsome to live in Ohio and have so many choices of where to run and at what distance.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/12/18 05:43 AM

Originally Posted By FastmOp
We have Clay City, Beech Bend, Indy, for 1/4 and London, US60, Beacon, Ohio Valley, Bluegrass, Cumberland, Evansville, Nashville, and a few I missed that are 1/8. All within 2.5 hours.

My car will run faster (151 MPH) in the 1/8 then you can get to on the 1/4.

Unless they've changed it Beech Bend only races the 1/4 for special events and test and tune. The last time I ran their regular bracket program it was 1/8.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/12/18 05:49 AM

It's true in your part of the country, not here.

I like racing period, 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile I don't care. He!! I've raced 300' on dirt and had a ball.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/12/18 05:51 AM

Lol... and them guys down South have copperheads and water moccasins and we dont up here.... they can keep them.

You left out rattle snakes.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/12/18 05:59 AM

I haven't seen anyone from down here hating on the 1/4. If running a 1/2 mile gets your jollies by all means enjoy your self.

Several years ago a guy from texas moved up here, he told me the big thing when he was young was to run the 1/4 and then on to 1 mile. So if anyone wants a really long drag race go to Texas.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/12/18 07:31 AM

I'll be at US-60 Dragway sat if you get bored Justinp61
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/12/18 08:41 AM

I like racing 1/4 mile.
I grew up racing 1/4 mile.
I have been successful racing 1/4 mile.
I can set up my suspension to use a 3 speed trans to race the 1/4 mile.
I can gear my cars to properly race the 1/4 mile.
I can build motors that don't grenade racing the 1/4 mile.
I'd drive 200 miles and pass by three 1/8 mile tracks to race 1/4 mile.
I'm not interested in racing 1/8 mile. At all.
I'm not interested in watching 1/8 mile. At all.

At the end of the day, I understand why some tracks are forced to be 1/8mi tracks, due to space limitations.

I understand that the speeds in some classes make it unsafe to run 1/4mi.

I'm not going to bash 1/8mi racers. They may have to do so due to track limitations, and they have a right to their opinion.

Bottom line?

I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU LIKE. I DON'T LIKE 1/8 MILE RACING.
Posted By: Dartsport540

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/12/18 12:35 PM

1/4 mile for me!! All 1/4 mile around here...

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/12/18 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By Evil Spirit
I like racing 1/4 mile.
I grew up racing 1/4 mile.
I have been successful racing 1/4 mile.
I can set up my suspension to use a 3 speed trans to race the 1/4 mile.
I can gear my cars to properly race the 1/4 mile.
I can build motors that don't grenade racing the 1/4 mile.
I'd drive 200 miles and pass by three 1/8 mile tracks to race 1/4 mile.
I'm not interested in racing 1/8 mile. At all.
I'm not interested in watching 1/8 mile. At all.

At the end of the day, I understand why some tracks are forced to be 1/8mi tracks, due to space limitations.

I understand that the speeds in some classes make it unsafe to run 1/4mi.

I'm not going to bash 1/8mi racers. They may have to do so due to track limitations, and they have a right to their opinion.

Bottom line?

I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU LIKE. I DON'T LIKE 1/8 MILE RACING.

Yep. Simply said.
Posted By: Neil

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/12/18 08:22 PM

1/4 mile track here. Land to spare so need for 1/8 mile tracks. They occasionally switch to 1/8 if the wind picks up too much. Nobody I know who races likes 1/8 mile racing when your used to 1/4 mile racing 99% of the time.
Posted By: BobR

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/23/18 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By BlueRacer69
Drag racing was ment to be 1/4 mile, nothing less. Period.

Really?
Are you risking your life?
Your extremely expensive cars/parts?
Unless you are your opinion is just about worthless.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/23/18 08:30 PM

The fast 1/8 mile guys, are going 3.60’s at over 200 mph. They would be at the end of th3 1/4, by the time you get to the 1/8. That kind of power is hard on parts.
It’s not uncommon for those guys to change trans fluid after every run, because it gets cooked. Or change stators in their converters between rounds.

I've done the math for my team. It costs me $1500.00 per 1/8th mile pass. Run farther pay more. Some of the comments here are comical.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/23/18 08:32 PM

Bob R.....Could you post the formula you use to determine that? Very interesting.

Originally Posted By BobR

I've done the math for my team. It costs me $1500.00 per 1/8th mile pass. Run farther pay more. Some of the comments here are comical.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/23/18 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By EV2Bird
Bob R.....Could you post the formula you use to determine that? Very interesting.

I've done the math for my team. It costs me $1500.00 per 1/8th mile pass. Run further pay more. Some of the comments here are comical.

Every year at tax time I add up all of my race related invoices. I keep concise records regarding every pass we make. I divide the cost to race(invoices) by the number of passes we made. It's actually over $1500.00 and I have an all volunteer crew. My crew chief is my engine builder so that cost is parts only.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/23/18 08:50 PM

Formula? Money spent divided by number of runs. Simple as that. Throw the travel expenses in if you really want to feel bad. I kept track of mine, I got to be pretty surprising. If he's running any kind of Pro Mod type, boosted drag radial, heads up deal, I'm surprised it's that cheap. I know guys with boosted, small tire, drag radial mostly 1/8 mile type deals spending way more than that. But they're not the guys wearing their junk out on TnT night either.

Why would you hate spectating the 1/8 mile? You get to see the whole race. At a 1/4 mile track, it's either the starting line or the finish line games, not both. I kinda like watching 1/8 mile stuff, PDRA, drag radial stuff, even big money brackets. Much more fast paced.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/24/18 01:16 AM

Formula? Money spent divided by number of runs. Simple as that. Throw the travel expenses in if you really want to feel bad. I kept track of mine, I got to be pretty surprising. If he's running any kind of Pro Mod type, boosted drag radial, heads up deal, I'm surprised it's that cheap. I know guys with boosted, small tire, drag radial mostly 1/8 mile type deals spending way more than that. But they're not the guys wearing their junk out on TnT night either.

Why would you hate spectating the 1/8 mile? You get to see the whole race. At a 1/4 mile track, it's either the starting line or the finish line games, not both. I kinda like watching 1/8 mile stuff, PDRA, drag radial stuff, even big money brackets. Much more fast paced.

We've been 209.46 in the 1/8th at 3,060 pounds. That's well over 4000 HP by the calculator I used. Twin 106 Precision turbo 521 BAE on methanol.

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/24/18 01:45 AM

We've been 209.46 in the 1/8th at 3,060 pounds. That's well over 4000 HP by the calculator I used. Twin 106 Precision turbo 521 BAE on methanol.

Yep, I'm surprised. You must make a lot of laps and not hurt anything to get to that $/run number. Or you get free stuff.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: 1/8 mile vs.1/4 - 07/24/18 04:53 PM

They ought to ban these 1/8-1/4 mile threads.
© 2024 Moparts Forums