Originally Posted By DaytonaTurbo
Those transmissions are just as crappy in the gassers. I wouldn't buy one with an automatic. However I was just trying to point out that if someone buys one around that mileage, if the last guy didn't do the trans, he will be very soon.

Funny the auto equipped trucks get the higher output engines. I might also point out that there are a ton of upgrades for this transmission. Practically every diesel drag racer uses this trans.

While the Allison has the bullet proof reputation they aren't perfect either, especially the earlier versions of the 1000 had some C3 clutch lubrication problems. I've owned two trucks with the Allison and while they were trouble free I hate the fact that they have a set shift schedule no matter what. They don't deviate at all. They shift into whatever gear at a certain speed and that's it. No matter if you are accelerating or decelerating.

The Ford trans has it's own issues too so just ragging on the 47/48RE is really pointless. I don't know of anyone except rhinodart that has had that many problems with it. He's also broken the stick transmissions too so I tend to think it's him and not the product. Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.