Originally Posted By 67plymouthman
Is the new steering linkage worth it?

Everything I've read says it's got better geometry. I had a recall notice for something on the steering, I think it was driver side tie rod end. But I could see it was already replaced. Passenger side was goofy and loose. My steering felt loose and wandered around; so I figured I'd spend a little more and upgrade it all at the same time. Turns out I had a moog wheel bearing go bad after 90 days so that was replaced a second time under warranty.

Steering was better but still felt a tad off. About a week and a half later (in the middle of yellowstone) my power steering pump or box started leaking badly. I managed to make it home, driving across the country dumping a quart of ATF into the steering system every hour and a half of driving. Replaced the box, pump and brake booster for good measure. Added the steering brace at the same time (truck is also on 35" mud tires that weigh about 80 lbs each).

During this round of maintenance I learned that I couldn't get the combination of parts I needed. I damaged the pulley pulling it off the pump to replace the pump. Can't get an original pulley because dodge did a design change after production and specified a larger pump. The larger pump runs a different pulley. All you can buy is the newer pulley, forcing you to buy the newer pump. New pump, pulley and reservoir are available from dodge for $700+. I bought a remaned pump from rock auto, a new pulley, and a reservoir from amazon, for a total of about $400.

Once all of that was installed, the truck steering was nice and tight. But I couldn't really tell you if it was the updated linkage, new box, steering brace, or everything combined.

**Photobucket sucks**