Originally Posted By DaytonaTurbo
FWIW, I work at a heavy duty truck/trailer repair division of a transport fleet. Nobody drives a diesel as their daily driver except the boss who's always having problems with his.

Been a diesel mechanic since 1985.

Have never owned a diesel powered pickup, could have ordered one in 1993 when I bought my first 3500 truck to tow with. Did not want the noise, smell and expense of a DD diesel pickup. Mainly did not want to hear a diesel when I went racing because I heard them all day long at work. Plus 8500 bucks extra just for the diesel engine at the time bought me a bunch of race car parts. So I had to buy a chevy, dodge did not have BB gas engine no more.

So I had to switch from dodge to chevy in 1993 and got my first 4 wheel 2 wheel drive 3500 454 auto 411, it towed like a couch for 125K miles with no trouble. No major repairs at all, just maintenance.

Then bought another new 3500 dually 454 in 99 that I DD everyday for 13 years. It held up great too until the 13th year. Then the rear end broke. I fixed it and traded it in for a ford truck in late 2013.

Both of my chevys towed heavy trailers and neither had trans or front end issues. I put brakes on it a few times but that was it as far as suspension goes.

WOW is all I can say about the expense some of you have had with your diesel pickup trucks.

Buddy of mine walks into my work maintenance shop and I am replacing 2 of the injectors in a old ford powerstroke. Precedes to complain about injectors he had to put in his ram pickup. I can't remember how much he said but it was alot I was thinking at the time.

I have always said on here diesels are not worth it in a pickup in many cases.