When I decided I was going to tow a car trailer (open, flat 16' deck) with my car on it, I went looking for a USED Cummins . . . was looking for 93 - 99 model. All I could find was a couple high mileage used trucks where drivetrain was fine, but body was rotting away !!!

So I ended up buying a brand new 02, Quad cab, HO, 6spd, short box - 2 WHEEL DRIVE - I figured I really don't need 4wd as I would only be towing or using the truck in summertime . . . being the anal maintenance type, I change oil/filter every 5k miles, fuel filter every year (which is about 5k miles/yr) . . . at 45k miles the lift pump went - changed it out for FASS OEM style unit and additional in line fuel filter. Thought I caught things before the VP44 was affected - NOT !!! . . . gotta remember, that this truck is pretty much pampered !! So, got the injector pump changed, and installed fuel pressure gauge. Truck is stock . . . .

I have 67k miles on it now, has only been driven 6 times during winter, not a speck of rust on it . . . the mileage has been as high as 27mpg empty and 18mpg towing !!! Course that is to imperial gallon - more like 23mpg and 14mpg to US gallon - still, not bad at all !!! . . . maintenance is not hard on a diesel. Keep fuel clean (change fuel filters), change oil (as on any rig you own) and keep air filter clean . . .

I figured I really didn't need to get one of the performance enhancers - I have towed my car (at that time, was '70 300HURST ragtop)across I-90 doing 85-90mph !! . . . figured that was more than fine (approx. 7,000lb between car & trailer).

Funny that how my truck sits, everyone thinks it is 4wd. Back when it was new, I got the rear inner fender liners - they came standard on 4wd, but not on 2wd. Sure helps to keep things clean !!

Anyhow, it is always your own choice for your vehicle. I am pretty sure this is the last truck I will own/need. Everyone tells me that I won't get squat for it, as it is 2wd . . . I will keep it, rather than give it away.

Good luck with your truck !

Cheers

Mark