I have been reading this thread off and on and decided to jump in!

I will add a little background first. I recently retired from a steel mill hot dip galvanizing line. We heated up coils of steel and then galvanized them for the auto industry. Chrysler was my favorite product to run. Todays standards are way better than when most of our cars were made. But there are still sizeable differences in the weight of a lot of pieces that make up a car!
I will use our Chrysler steel coils to be stamped into body parts as an example. The coils coming in had a tolerance. I could tell when a coil was on the heavy side it would suck the heat out of my furnace. Our tolerance on coating was tight on the low side due to corrosion and liberal on the high side due to cost. So when I would slow down the coating would go thin and when I would speed up the coating would go heavy till we got back to steady state. All the while making product in spec. So if you got a coil on the heavy side and coating on the heavy side your new Ram isn't going to rust out but may not get the mileage that your neighbor gets!
I decided to use a box of inside door handles I have as an example. They are shown in my first picture. I thought I was going to be the teacher here but I ended up learning something!
I started to weigh each one on my calibrated postal scale. I have attached a picture of the one that weighed the most at 3.9 ounces.
I will continue in my next reply!

DEC 3549.JPGDEC 3545.JPG