Lee,
You are definitely an inspiration, so glad Thumper started this thread.

I recently added a fiberglass hood to my 62 Valiant. Not by choice really, the factory hood latch let go at 1100 feet after a hard re-entry on a wheelstand, and the hood ripped off the hinges. I took a spare hood to an old craftsman in Arizona City, and he made a mold, then popped me a hood.
I wanted to go to a more period correct scoop, but the Valiant hood creates many issues. The curve falls off quickly from the cowl area to the fenders, and also towards the radiator. That makes it difficult to run a large diameter breather with the tall intake on the small block.
We attached the hood with four quicklatches, and he recessed the receivers in the hood. He also painted it, and reshaped the bottom of the scoop to drop the back and make it more parallel with the car instead of the quickly sloping hood.

On Drag Week 2015 it weighed 3145 with driver, steel hood and hinges.
On Drag Week 2016 it weighed 3095, but I was running nitrous, so there was a 25lb bottle in the trunk.

Top pic: last pass on old hood
Middle pic: old hood/scoop profile
Bottom pic: New hood with modified scoop (it's subtle)

He charged me $950 to build the mold, pop the hood, mount the hood with the quicklatches, modify the scoop, and paint it. (I supplied the paint). He tends to charge for the work, not his talent...I appreciate the talent!

hoodloser.JPGDW14 Sat.jpg100_1966 - Copy.JPG

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines