Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket
Good points and depending on the car and its options, the extra wiring could add up to maybe a pound at most or ounces as you stated.
I've given serious thought to cleaning up, eliminating and rerouting wires under my office dash for years now, and it's about time I do so. This Winter, schedule permitting, I will go under with the solder gun, electrical sealing tape and clippers in hand. It's almost like deep sea diving under there on your back, even if it is as spartan as a Bachelors refrigerator.
I guess this only matters to those that have been down the chain of every weight loss idea, but ounces do mount up eventually and that leads to pounds.
I particularly love this comment by RMCHGR because it only cost a Summers afternoon and some pizza to achieve, plus I love a clean managed under dash.

If you want to make your head explode, consider that solder is LEAD and if you start soldering and taping enough wires... well you get the idea. The factory used those mega splices in the dash harness which are small lead bricks.

I actually stopped soldering everything in my wiring projects. I've had it crack and cause more problems than it's worth, even when done properly. Good crimping technique and heat shrink tubing should generally be all that's needed. Most of the factory wires and connectors were just crimped and lasted 50 years if things weren't subject to wayward hands or neglect. Sometimes solder is needed in spots of course but if I can avoid it now, I do.

Last fall I replaced the entire dash harness in my truck, from the bulkhead to the fuse box and everything in between. Not a whole lot going on in that thing with creature comforts etc., so the harness is pretty bare bones. All of it together I'm guessing had to have weighed somewhere between 5-10 lbs? Not sure. But yeah, like you said, with more accessories and options it'll add up. I think guys will take out the accessories and what not but probably tend to leave the harness in.

In contrast, the wiring harnesses in modern cars dwarf what's in our '60s-'70s iron so be glad we're not dealing with it on such a huge scale.

Real-world cost aside, my next project will likely have an aftermarket harness. It's not worth the time and effort in dealing with old, corroded and bent terminals, cracked insulation and old tape adhesive. Plus, you don't add what you don't need so there's no excess baggage to deal with.

'71 Duster
'17 Ram 1500