so why did the gas companys put MTBE and alcohol in their gas??????? now thats troubling.

my solvents are 99.99999% pure the purest grade there is anywhere. not like the stuff you buy.
and acetone Xylene and toluene are already in the gas and more so in race grade gas. and they burn cooler not hotter as they inhibit the flame to explode only wnen the spark ignites it not from compressive heat (aedibatic heat of compression)
or knock or ping as the layman call it.
all gasoline in NY now contains 10% methonal wheather you like it or not and that was to limit the NOX produced when the nitrogen burns .
air we breath and burn is 19.5% oxygen 80 % nitrogen and 1-2% everything else.
so limit the NOX by 10% with Acetone and get
a new hexavalent disbonding instead of contaminated air.
also why do cars run well on propane and compressed natural gas, cause of less nitrogen and moisture containing contaminates mixed in to slow the flame front propergation from spark plug to piston top. thats why quench is important. you need enough new cool intake charge to displace the last load of burned heated gas out of the chamber to bring the equation back into balance.
simple thermodynamics happens in all compressible burning states.
the modern engine is wayyyyy more tolerant of alternative fuels then you might think with hypereutectic pistons, silicon coated fuel lines, butly o rings, stainless fuel lines, non rubber diaphrams, and so on. Im also a Materials scientist by trade believe me its a good thing .
ive looked at all the various burning states with a mass spectrometer and analyzed the residuals in not parts per million but parts per billion and use 5 nines hydrogen and helium as a basic calibration gas. even sometimes use atomic infared abvsorption which gives a wavelength for each element known to man on a spectrometer and I say go for it or youll get left behind running a steam engine powered car. just kidding
im waiting for the refineriery guys to chime in with their refractometers and analysis.
I spend 12 hours a night with this type stuff so im not just hobby ing it we dope silicon chips to several parts per trillion and have to be exact 6 million bucks of parts per shift so theres no room for idle gusses and hypothesis.
see my atricles in the Materials science national library.