Quote:

Quote:

thanks

Stewart, Fred, Kev, anyone, The photos of Carlton's shop show a lot of chassis and body fab but I don't notice engines being built or engine building tools or machines. Did the motors come complete from Spehar or someone else? How about the motors for Stu McDade and the Rod Shop cars.

Don's shop in Troy Michigan was strictly for the "car" work. Ted Spehar supplied all the Missile engines from his shop (Specialized Vehicles, Inc.). The two shops were about 3 miles apart. When Don, Dick, and I went to a NHRA or IHRA event, we would typically have 3 engines with us - one in the car and two fully dressed engines in the truck. We always had a good supply of horsepower from Spehar.

For Don's match race cars that were run from Hudson North Carolina, Clyde Hodges and Donnie typically built those bullets. I can't say for sure but I would not be suprised if Spehar did not lend a hand - at the very least with information. Clyde was a good engine man in is own right and I know for sure that he did most of that work himself. I know because he built a motor in my hotel room at Englishtown one year! That room smelled bad... He built the stinking thing on my bed and to protect the sheets he laid the shower curtain over the bedspread! How thoughtful... That particular motor was for the Stuart McDade PS car that Donnie owned. In the shop that Donnie built in Hudson at the end of the 1974 season, it had a nice little motor room (clean room) where Clyde could do his engine builds.

Joe Pappas

Joe Pappas
MOPAR MISSILE