Yes, the Missile raced the S&M Duster on many occasions in the 70's. You have got to remember that there was the Missile Challenger 1970 and 1971, the Missile Cuda 1972, and finally the Missile Duster late 1972 and 1973. I was working for Mike Fons (Rod Shop 1971 and 1972) when the Challenger and the Cuda were racing so I was pretty focused on the Fonsmobile. With the Duster, I do remember beating the S&M cars many times (1973) at both IHRA and NHRA events. But, in those days the bulk of the weekly race programs revolved around the match race world. It would not be unusual for a team to match race 2 or 3 times a week. Unfortunately, we (the Missile) could not do that. Our primary job was to participate in the world of R&D for Chrysler Corporation Performance Parts. Generally speaking, we spent 5 days a week testing. During the winter months the venue was California or Florida. Spring, summer, and fall was Milan Michigan. Match racing was just not part of our program. I do believe that the Missile Cuda was allowed to participate in the United States Racing Team program - a field of 16 selected Pro Stock cars that put on a mid-week match race at about 10 different tracks in 1972 - but that was pretty much it.

Now, to answer your "loaded" question - do I think the Missile will ever beat the S&M car again? Heck yea - sorry Fred - it will happen, but it is going to be a real see-saw all season. Those two pieces of history going at it are going to be lots of fun for everyone.

Joe Pappas
MOPAR MISSILE