Quote:

you are assuming that people don't figure vac adv into total because of a full throttle condition. how many street cars are driven at full throttle? i know that vac adv has nothing to do with full throttle and there are street cars that don't run vac adv because of low vac and they don't run full throttle( all in by 2500 rpm, thats not full throttle on my car) however, that does not mean that the phrase total advance does not include vac adv even if you think that is the case USUALLY. don't say that vac adv is not part of total adv timing, it is. depending if you use vac adv or not because of YOUR motor set up is up to you, rewriting what total is, is not up to you. keep it straight and don't give wrong info. apply the correct info to your specific needs. still waiting for the info on the mains and metal transfer and why that happens.

I don't believe I specified anywhere that you should run X total timing, but either way it doesn't really matter. The first rule of setting timing is to disconnect the vacuum advance. This is probably also part of why its commonly accepted to not include vacuum advance in your total advance number, in addition to the fact that the vacuum advance really doesn't matter for full throttle performance. Also, I happen to like vacuum advance on a street car because it does make it feel much stronger part throttle, so I agree with you 100 percent there. But the way you phrased it, and you can tell by the reaction of other members, sounds like you are running 48 degrees of mechanical timing. I don't THINK this is the case, this IS the case, and why you telling people to run 48 degrees of timing sounds ridiculous. And I don't know why you're telling me anything when I'm the one who knew what you were talking about.

I haven't rewritten anything, this is what is commonly accepted. That's why you are constantly hearing people say to run 34-38 total. When they say this they mean MECHANICAL ADVANCE ONLY. If EVERYONE ELSE is wrong, its probably you who is actually wrong. That is why everyone quickly seemed appalled that you're running a claimed 48 total. Surely 24ish total mechanical timing that would come from running 34-38 degrees of total advance including vacuum would cause sluggish performance.

So what do you run for total mechanical timing?

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street