Quote:

Quote:

NEVER change the color on a Charger 500 (or Daytona) . The following for the aero cars is so strict that most people who collect them, want the car to be "correct"

. Now, if you have a 74 Barracuda and don't like the color, that's a whole different story.

WHY?.......would that be a different story.....I'd like to know?

Do you think the owner of this Superbird owner considered the originality of his paint choice?..........thank god he didn't,...the car looks awesome in BLACK!........another case of who cares what everyone else thinks,....I'm doing it my way!

Let's look at it this way, if you are going to alter or "screw something up" it's ALWAYS best to do it with something of much less value .
If you decided to install a 460 Ford engine in your Mopar,and the interior from a 73 Gran Torino because YOU like Ford engines and the look of the Ford interior, which would be a better car to do it with. A 74 Charger 318 car,
or a 70 Charger R/T SE 440 six pack sunroof car ?
See where I am going with this ?
If you just MUST screw something up, it's ALWAYS best to do it to a car of much lesser value.
Like it or not, certain cars are pure collectables now. Nobody is going to own their car forever, and at some point , even if you don't sell, your widow or children will . Don't you want the car to sell for what it should , instead of much less, because it has to be taken totally apart and re-pained inside and out to be correct ? Now it doesn't really matter if you change the original color on your FF8 70 coronet
500 318 car , because the car is only going to be worth X dollars no matter what you do . However, if you have a 70 Coronet R/T convertible 4-speed
4.10 dana , ramcharger hood, FF8, your best bet is to keep it FF8 . Would it look good EK2 Go Mango with white interior, you damn right it would! But, certain cars should be preserved as they were built . That's the way I feel about it .
I remember seeing a '69 GTX convertible , factory
triple black car, that was re-painted Limelight FJ5 at a show some years back . I think he hurt the value "a lil bit" , but I guess all that matters is that the current owner likes it .
As far as the black Superbird, If I were in the market to buy a bird, this would certainly not be
on my list of possible buys, unless the price was heavily discounted . Does it look good in black, sure. Does the incorrect paint hurt the value, you bet it does. There will be some buyers who would like it because it looks "cool" and "different" but many more will pass because it is not correct . That's just the way it is.
I don't make the rules of human nature when they apply to buying/selling collectables .
People don't want to buy a victorian home built in 1890 if some goober has altered the original appearance by painting it pink and purple , no matter how "cool" the owner thought it would look.
What else can I say, We just don't see eye to eye on this subject .
I will say this . IF someone truely doesn't give a damn about respecting their medium or high dollar collectable car for what it is ,
and does not mind lowering the cars value ,then by all means , do whatever you want to it. It is your car to do with as you please, even if that means leaving it outside with the windows down for 10 years .
Do as you please.

Greg

Wards Classic Car Radio Repair Specializing in restoration and sales of Mopar A B E body radios
We can restore YOUR radio usually in less than 7 days
Visit our NEW website..
http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com
gregward@mchsi.com
phone 256-852-0955

gregward@mchsi.com phone 256-852-0955