Quote:

For background purposes, my drag car is a 1963 Plymouth Savoy set up with Cal Tracs, monoleaf springs, sliders in place of conventional shackles and AFCO double adjustable shocks. Lower bar is mounted in the bottom hole. Pinion angle is 4 degrees. Front suspension is six cylinder torsion bars, double adjustable AFCO shocks and suspension limiters to control suspension travel. Car weight with driver is approximately 3650 pounds with a 50/50 weight distribution. Engine is 572 CID, 727 with 2.28 1st gear to soften launch, Dana 60 with 4.30 gears and MT 31x15x10.5W tires. I have 100 pounds mounted over the rear axle with a 20 weight bar mounted under the radiator.

Best 60 foot time to date was 1.29, 9.09 ET / 148 MPH at Milan Dragway. Three passes were made back-to-back with the same results.

While this may have been the exception, 60' times are typically in the 1.31 to 1.33 range with Gary Jacobs/Jakes Automotive driving. Car launches at 1800 RPM, no brake

I'm a firm believer in this system as demonstrated by the cars performance to date. I take a total system approach considering both front and rear suspension. One consideration is adjustability in terms of shock package and front suspension travel and initial set-up using scales.

I will agree that the shocks were expensive, however, considering the total cost, much less expensive than a ladder bar or 4 link set-up.

It can be done.

I've included some websites. I hope you can access since I'm new to this. If you cannot access directly, type into Google and see what happens.

Thanks.

http://www.racefab-asi.com/gallery9.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOLyjoARDII

Well Len since this your first Moparts post, im going to take it as an opportunity to bust your balls if you dont mind.

I think one of the key reasons why you have alot more success with a Caltrac car then most, is the fact that it is a 50/50 car. My car when i ran them was 55/45 and I had mixed results. Personally i was a happier camper changing over to ladder bars. I probably could have spent more time working with the caltracs, but it seemed like it costs $500 every time I went out, so i figured one or two wasted trips paid for my ladder bars, which worked on the first hit.

Look at our buddy Mr. Jiles car. There is a reason why this car leaves like this with no caltracs, just leafs and little tires. its all Weight distribution.

5554883-DSC_2384.jpg (200 downloads)

In God we trust, all others pay cash. www.lightnens.com (Home of the world's fastest Paint Job)