Quote:

i'll bump this one back from the dead zone, since i'm actually hoping for a little more info to trickle out from Brian and S/ST.

ive ported a few sets of these heads, and frankly.....have never really been satisfied with what i got from them on the bench.
although, the two sets that went on motors i got to dyno both made decnt power, and one of those 2 motors is in a bracket car that sees regular use, and i feel is a pretty strong runner for as basic of a combo as it is......yet, ive always felt there should be more to get out of these heads than what ive gotten from them.

what ive found is that they arent too bad OOTB, and respond nicely to a very minimal clean-up and valve job.
but beyond that, the gains come very hard, for me at least.

i'd like to hear an overview from Brian and S/ST, as to the appraoch they take in reshaping the short turns, roof, and chambers, to see how that might differ from what ive tried.
where are you grinding....and why?

ibe tried several different approaches to the roof and short turns.......with about the same results either way.

how far are you sinking the valves to get a better blend from the V/J into the chamber?

when i look into the intake runners on these things....and look at the roof shape and angle......it just doesnt seem to make any sense to me.
what am i missing???

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I went through that as well when I first started on them.
I first open the pushrod pinch up to max. I do raise the roof some, but not a bunch. Mostly where the roof tapers down to the wall.
Here's some info I don't like to give out, but without having a feel for it, most people probably couldn't do it...I move the pushrod side of the wall from right after the pinch to the bowl...alot. Think SB chevy brodix T1 head. It's real easy to get lost when moving this wall because it' a constant taper into the bowl. So I made templates to help me. They are only card board but it helps alot.
Then if you've ever seen an older afr chevy head's S/T that's what you shoot for on the short turn. And you have to measure the air speed at the pushrod pinch on each port if valve lift is going to exceed .650 lift. If the port is too fast here it will screw up the air speed over the short turn.
But Dwayne, I don't know if your bench will pull 28"'s....and I also check the ports at 36" when I'm done. Just to listen to the port and see how the air changes in the port from low lift to high lift. It's pretty amazing!!
Hope this helps, all I can say is that it takes a loooooong time to port when doing them this way.
Brian