brian, do you really think that the engine see's a depression representative of 36" when the valve is at .500 lift or higher? i know alot of that stuff is guessing unless youre privilage to pressure sensor info from intake ports and combustion chambers, though that data would be respective to that particular combo. do you try for different air speeds if the same head was being used on a 408 or a 340, since the depressions that both those engines will run at with the same head are so different? do you ever try to influence the intake port when flowing backwards to compensate for inertia like when the engine is running, and how easy or not so easy it is to counteract the pressure you have in the intake port?

ive worked on super stock 318/340/360 combos with moving the pushrod pinch over,, i dont remember exact cross sections but i think we went from .950 across to 1.200 and the motor peaked the same within 100 rpm or so, but past peak made more power. if i remember a 9/1 360 thermoquad made 565 with the .950 pinch and then 570 with the moved pushrod wall both at about 6800rpm, but at 7400 was 40 hp better than with the .950 dimension. you can have too much air speed where fuel will fall out of the air stream but i think thats very uncommon,, or using the wrong parts for a particular combo like a 318 head on a 408 or something like that.

jeff