Originally Posted by migsBIG
Originally Posted by Alaskan_TA
Originally Posted by migsBIG
UPDATE: I am in contact with a company that is looking to reproduce the mopar vin tags from 1968 to 1980's models and doing it legally. need to get a bunch of vin tag samples sent to them so they can refine the tooling. Cost should be affordable to the buyer as well. Will keep you all in the loop as I get more info over the next few weeks/months.

Questions;

Name of the company? It is a US based company and has been doing data tags for awhile. When they have a finished product I will post their info here.

Name of the Federal agency they are dealing with? Not my company, so I don't know.

Does Chrysler know some outfit is planning to do this? Chrysler has no representation on this.

Is Chrysler Corporation granting this outfit a license? Chrysler has no legal jurisdiction on this product.

If so, who is the contact person at Chrysler Corporation?

I think the point that person was trying to make is that unless it's a blank plate with the number stamped on in someone is selling a product with Chrysler//Stellantis's trademark logos on it so they would have some legal jurisdiction over it.

The whole vin tag thing is a grey area. The law talks about being illegal to remove it but what about cases like this when it's attached to a dash that's being restored or replaced, or the vehicles where it's attached to the drivers door and the door needs to be replaced. Doing a quick search online it seems like for newer cars car manufacturers provide a service that you can get a replacement vin tag from them, some of the forms to request it are even on the nhtsa website.

One thing that comes to play is with a replacement there's always going to be people out there to criticize it and rightly so. If you're looking at buying a car and one has a vin that's never been touched and another one has been replaced or looks questionable you know what car has a higher chance of getting picked.

I also ran across this website which has vin tags and the various other labels. Which might be a handy source for restoration purposes.

https://www.alumaphoto-plateco.com/products/vin-tag-replacement/vin-tags.html