the "LAW" is about the written word and it's definition, that is a fact. now everybody has an opinion of what is Legal and what is not Legal , an Attorney explained to me to read what the Law actually says not what you want it to say. Laws are written to be arguementive not to be deceiving , but rather to cover or give way to special circumstances that may occur . The intension of the Motor Vehicle Safety Standards Act was too , as it;s title says is Motor Vehicle Safety Standards since every manufacture had its own identification process. Which was for the protection od of the traveling public assuring that all parts used to produce the said vehicle met prescribed Safety Standards. Which it would also cover "FRAUD" ( misrepresentation ) . It's fairly simple to understand , it's about identification and safety . now here comes the "OPINION" part.
In my Opinion (and any Competent Attorney) to reproduce or have a reproduction or replacement "Vin tag" made is not fraudulent if the Repro VIN Tag is to same standards as the "original" vin tag which this particular car came with , as the reproduction tag is merely an identification that represents that all the parts used to produce the vehicle meet the MOTOR VECHILE SAFTEY STANARDS OF THE DATE BELOW, (the "Mylar Decal") . therefore there is no Fraud or misrepresentation for the purpose of illicit gain or profit . This can be verified by other permanent markings or stamping thru out the Vehicle .
So IMO its not as Black AND White as one might think , but i can tell you this , it all will be based on" intension" of whether it;s fraud or not..

Last edited by Little Detroit; 10/29/22 08:05 AM.