Originally Posted by migsBIG
I find it weird that everybody that says it was illegal have never posted a source or link to why said tags are illegal. On the other hand, I have talked with multiple law enforcement members, lawyer and a government representative and all have said the opposite. So who am I to believe, the people that make and enforce the laws or the people just randomly posting on a forum? All I’m trying to do is find a proper restoration part for a project. People thinking everything illegal because they heard a store about someone who bought a car at one point is going on absurd. Fine, you guys win. I give up. I’m telling (redacted) they can’t get a proper restoration replacement tag made. I can’t find vin tag samples to use anyway and I just don’t want to be involved in this any longer as I’m not getting payed for my work. I just wanted to contribute something to the hobby for people who wanted a nice touch to their cars. I’m out. F all this noise. Sorry for those that wanted something nice, but these guys say you can’t have it. Remember who ruined it for you.

Interesting. So if only <1% of repro tags are ever used illegally, the ONLY solution would be to make it illegal to make them.
So the <1% hurts the 99%.
Likewise: if only 1 of the many firearms one makes (legally), gets used illegally, then make it illegal to make firearms.
There are too many laws being used, or generated, that are being used this way in society.
Punish the innocent masses because of a few miscretes.