Originally Posted by John Brown
Originally Posted by GY3

Rocco was wanting to attach aircraft landing lights on the front of his car as I recall.

Put #4537 aircraft landing lights in the high beams position of two of my cars. Could light up stop signs two miles away at night. They were only useful when driving in sparsely populated areas, so I quit using them.

A hundred years ago (early 70s) I was in college in Iowa, residing in Vermont.
The trip I sometimes took from Vt to Iowa was thru Canada, 401, in at Ft something in NY, out at Detroit.
Had a pair of these, got them from either JC whitney or Warshawskys, always thought they were the same company using different names, advertised as "driving lights".
On the long middle of the night, next to no traffic, running the high beams would cause the lights to go out after about an hour of constant use, then a half hour, etc.

Once I figured out what was happening, I just dimmed the lights once in a while.

There is apparently a circuit breaker built in to the headlight switch of a 64 Plymouth ...

And yes, in my small Vermont town those things would light the entire length of town in the middle of the night.

OH! I had to grind the mounting lugs down to get the filament to line up right, the ring held them in place fine.

Ah, the good old days ... now, here in Florida, there are brighter lights and no one dims ... grrr get off my lawn!

It takes gasoline to interest me.