Moparts

It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts...

Posted By: MadMopars

It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/14/22 06:13 PM

Yet still login regularly... Without stirring a bunch of $h!#, I will simply state that we have lost a lot of good members over the years. Specifically, very knowledgeable members that have sadly passed. To have knowledgeable remaining members still available in this small niche, dying hobby that are "boycotting" while still "visiting" daily seems like a shame. Even with disdain for "infolinks", Moparts continues to draw people in daily. I would guess it's because inside we all know deep down this site is one of the best Mopar sites out there and the amount of knowledge is amazing to say the least. Perhaps one day these "boycotting" members will return to share in the site actively once again. I sure hope so because unless I missed something, I haven't seen another "perfect" Mopar site and we certainly aren't getting any younger.
Posted By: moparx

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/14/22 06:30 PM

i'm in the "not getting any younger" crowd, and i try to spit out anything i can to help before i forget.
which seems to be happening more often these days.
i have to ask for reminders time to time, as i know i knew the subject at hand once, but the spiders in my noggin keep growing more cobwebs by the day. biggrin
beer
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/14/22 06:47 PM

Where do you come by the notion that members are boycotting the board? "Visiting daily" and "boycotting" seem to be at odds. Are you saying they only view the posts but don't participate (lurk)?
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/14/22 07:11 PM

I joined in 2011 because I was working on my putting a MP crate magnum 360 in one of my M body AHB's ('88 Gran Fury) along with a 727 from TCI. I came across a need for a small trans lever part needed since I was going from an A999 to the 727. Within hours Scratchnfortratchn popped up, said he had the part, asked for my address, AND said "don't worry about it, no charge"!!!! I was floored.

I've gathered so much needed information from here I would be so lost without moparts. I know sometimes I'm dense when getting help and have to ask again and again laugh and have always been helped with patience. I am always wishing I could provide more help to people! As a lifelong Mopar fanatic (and I mean fanatic!!!) and car lover since I have memories, I just have never had the resources (garage, tools, etc) to really dig in and learn the mechanics. I know just enough to cause myself problems when I do it myself lol. I've done water pumps, and those sorts of tasks, but know better than to go any deeper than that.

It is sad that the wealth of information has lost some of it's providers over the years. Hopefully there are enough children of the Mopar fathers out there to carry on the family forever.

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/14/22 07:20 PM

i too, have been helped a LOT by fellow members, so i always try to "pay it forward" by offering items "gratis" when i can. up
beer

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/14/22 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
Where do you come by the notion that members are boycotting the board? "Visiting daily" and "boycotting" seem to be at odds. Are you saying they only view the posts but don't participate (lurk)?

When browsing older posts, you come across members who haven't posted in quite awhile (years). If you look at the profile you can see when they were last on the site but when compared to their last post, it's quite a span. Furthermore, when their last few posts state they are boycotting the site, it doesn't leave much to wonder.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/14/22 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by MadMopars

When browsing older posts, you come across members who haven't posted in quite awhile (years). If you look at the profile you can see when they were last on the site but when compared to their last post, it's quite a span. Furthermore, when their last few posts state they are boycotting the site, it doesn't leave much to wonder.

Not boycotting but still lurk. Still have friends on here. It’s just not my go to site anymore. The pop up BS is the main reason.
Posted By: furious70

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/14/22 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by dart4forte

Not boycotting but still lurk. Still have friends on here. It’s just not my go to site anymore. The pop up BS is the main reason.

ditto.

The FXBO sites have much better software, make it much easier to be a part of the community.
While I changed my name and resigned up once, I was 'wayne_township' on here all the way back when the Dallas Mopar Board existed as the main competition, until it's owner stopped upgrading and javascript hackers made it a mess almost daily.

Tom has posted several times on here about his stance - it's his product he can do what he wants. It's producing enough revenue as it is. I do come on here but mostly to look at the classifieds as a buyer.
IMO Joey has a better product with much better software and better terms of service.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/14/22 08:37 PM

All these sites are just harvesting info to be sold no matter how its wrapped, but if a nicer format makes one feel a bit more warm and fuzzy about giving it up, great.

Its funny when people still complain about FREE websites they visit.
Posted By: topside

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/14/22 08:53 PM

Lots of members have quit posting but scan the site, and the reason I've heard is almost always Infolinks.
A few did get bothered by argumentative posts or replies.
It's unfortunate, because not only were most of those folks informative and/or fun to banter with, but younger guys won't get the benefit if accurate info from them.
I figure that while no forum is perfect, this one's the best, and I hope to either learn something or be helpful every time I check in.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/14/22 09:51 PM

A lot of forums are slowing down or dead now compared to before. i think you can thank face book for a lot of that and possibly youtube also because I think a lot of people used to join forums when they had a question or a problem and now you can watch you tube videos for a lot of that stuff.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/14/22 09:58 PM

I cruise through once/twice a week. This forum sucks for me from the standpoint that A: infolinks hitting the screen and it jumping around. B: a picture can tell 1000 words and with the death of Photobucket (actually I killed it as they were trying to extort more $$) it became a pain to post pictures here. It’s way to easy to link picts on FB or FABO for that matter.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/14/22 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by 5thAve
A lot of forums are slowing down or dead now compared to before. i think you can thank face book for a lot of that and possibly youtube also because I think a lot of people used to join forums when they had a question or a problem and now you can watch you tube videos for a lot of that stuff.

In addition to that, I wonder just how many are still coming into the fold? In the time this board has been around, prices on ANY old Mopar has gotten out of the reach for many. Then there's still the parts issue (cost and availability).
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/14/22 11:05 PM

When you take away the ability to post pictures easily you take away tech posts. On Abodiesonly if you are showing someone how to do something you easily post as many pictures as needed very easily. Click click click.
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/15/22 12:07 AM

I prefer this type of format over FB. But, you’re right: tons of specialty car forums are on life support.

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/15/22 12:44 AM

This is very true! Our M body one was so active several years ago, and practically dead now.
Posted By: TJP

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/15/22 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by J_BODY
I cruise through once/twice a week. This forum sucks for me from the standpoint that A: infolinks hitting the screen and it jumping around. B: a picture can tell 1000 words and with the death of Photobucket (actually I killed it as they were trying to extort more $$) it became a pain to post pictures here. It’s way to easy to link picts on FB or FABO for that matter.

'Been a regular here since 98 or so, yes a lot of changes, mostly good IMO. Don't always agree with every-thing/one but i find it relaxing and enjoy helping others when I can. The only thing that bothers me is spending the time to try and help and then watch as they chase their tail looking for an EASIER way
BTW, You can now post up to 4 pic's right from your device. I have had ZERO issues with ads shruggy beer

Attached picture 7627850-1939-lincoln-zephyr-scrape-custom-std.jpg
Attached picture beer cans.jpg
Attached picture dart engine 2 2022-01-16 001.jpg
Attached picture 27523161954_3e0d6320b5_h.jpg
Posted By: redraptor

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/15/22 11:16 AM

This is my weekend morning entertainment, hope it doesn't go anywhere. I guess I'm getting used to the infolinks and just wait for it to do it's thing and move on. I don't browse or post from my phone so no experience there. I have a project I want to post so I suppose I'll have to email the pics to myself and create a file. Yea I miss photobucket and don't know what's up with my flickr account. I'm a member on a bunch of forums but I'm on here BY FAR more than the others so that must say something about what I value. twocents
Posted By: fastmark

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/15/22 11:16 AM

I don’t understand all the gripping about infolinks. I downloaded a blocker and they are gone. I’m and old fart and I could figure it out. Lol. I don’t like Facebook and all the bickering.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/15/22 12:36 PM

You know I've been on this morning for about 40 minutes and haven't seen one Info-link add yet shruggy Maybe my latest HP update might have some kind of blocker built into it because I don't remember seeing any last night either work
I think most of the crying and whining is from people that use their phones to access this site. I agree that it's almost impossible to view it even on a large phone screen.

Gus beer
Posted By: FM3AAR

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/15/22 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by fastmark
I don’t understand all the gripping about infolinks. I downloaded a blocker and they are gone.

iagree

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/15/22 03:52 PM

i only have a desk top setup, so i have no problem posting pictures, and with using adblock plus, i have no infolinks to cry about.
as i am also an old, computer illiterate, brain faded fart, some stuff is a tough nut to crack. but if i can figure it out, you can too.
beer

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/15/22 04:35 PM

For those having trouble with pictures they are EASILY loaded from your system by clicking on the circled link before posting or when editing. See top pic

A box will open with a couple of choices:
Click on SELECT A FILE TO ATTACH

Another box will open Click on SELECT ALL FILES

That should open a directory of you systems folders:

Click the folder with the picture:

Then Click the picture, "the file name should appear as shown in the bottom pic"

Click done. NOTE: The pic's will not appear on Preview but should appear when you Post

Attached picture Opera Snapshot_2022-05-15_111307_board.moparts.org.png
Attached picture Opera Snapshot_2022-05-15_113120_board.moparts.org 1.png
Posted By: mopar65

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/15/22 04:58 PM

I used Duck Duck go and no more pop ups.
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/15/22 06:58 PM

Yes, and the Brave browser blocks ads too...
Posted By: Twostick

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/15/22 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
You know I've been on this morning for about 40 minutes and haven't seen one Info-link add yet shruggy Maybe my latest HP update might have some kind of blocker built into it because I don't remember seeing any last night either work
I think most of the crying and whining is from people that use their phones to access this site. I agree that it's almost impossible to view it even on a large phone screen.

Gus beer

Easy to banish Infolinks from your phone, at least with Android. Install Firefox for a browser and uBlock Origin. Poof, gone

Kevin.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/15/22 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by TJP
For those having trouble with pictures they are EASILY loaded from your system by clicking on the circled link before posting or when editing. See top pic

A box will open with a couple of choices:
Click on SELECT A FILE TO ATTACH

Another box will open Click on SELECT ALL FILES

That should open a directory of you systems folders:

Click the folder with the picture:

Then Click the picture, "the file name should appear as shown in the bottom pic"

Click done. NOTE: The pic's will not appear on Preview but should appear when you Post

This ^^^

If the file is too big, I run it through Photo Compress and it automatically will compress the image to a few hundred K. Save as to my shrunk folder and it's available to be easily sent in the future.

Kevin
Posted By: BloFish

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/15/22 09:16 PM

AdBlocker is your friend.
Posted By: fal3

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/15/22 09:41 PM

I think using moparts is a feast or famine thing. I'm on here every so often looking for the latest; reading a link that grabs my attention. Other times, I'm on here looking for and asking for info on whatever current car problem I have. Yeah, some guys have been di#*!s, but I ignore them. Too many good guys looking to help out a fellow hobbyist.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/15/22 10:37 PM

This forum has been using Infolinks for what, three or four years now? And there is an adblocker of some form or other for virtually every internet browser platform. Yet there are still people whining about it. If these are the only people who have "boycotted" this forum then I think the forum is better for it. These are people who will [censored] about anything, blame somebody else and expect someone else to do everything for them. These are the people who are always asking where the best price is, what the best this or that is, where can they find this or that. They're too lazy or too stupid to do any of their own research. Who needs them ... good riddance !!

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/16/22 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Stanton
This forum has been using Infolinks for what, three or four years now? And there is an adblocker of some form or other for virtually every internet browser platform. Yet there are still people whining about it. If these are the only people who have "boycotted" this forum then I think the forum is better for it. These are people who will [censored] about anything, blame somebody else and expect someone else to do everything for them. These are the people who are always asking where the best price is, what the best this or that is, where can they find this or that. They're too lazy or too stupid to do any of their own research. Who needs them ... good riddance !!

Everyone has their own opinion, but as this 'product' has been left behind or intentionally been made a mess with ads, it drove me to FBBO. I never went there before. I check that site multiple times a day now, I usually check here once. I ask my questions on FXBO now most of the time, I use my phone on those sites, post as many whatever sized photos I want, etc. If Tom is getting what he wants out of the site, that's fine. I found a better product that is also free.

Lots of familiar names have also shown up on FXBO (probably were there before I was!)
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/16/22 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by moparx
i only have a desk top setup, so i have no problem posting pictures, and with using adblock plus, i have no infolinks to cry about.
as i am also an old, computer illiterate, brain faded fart, some stuff is a tough nut to crack. but if i can figure it out, you can too.
beer

I use i phone only and no adds or anything, use ad blocker. Still it’s bad to be questioned on everything. Sometimes I say what’s the use and don’t come back for awhile.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/16/22 03:22 PM

I'd say overall this site has had a positive effect on my life. Met a bunch of really cool folks, some on this thread, became friends with a few
which has driven all kinds of good stuff in life. But, you know, things are different now....a whole lot different.

It isn't anything any of us has control over, so, whatever.

For me personally, the lack of maintenance to the tech archives was the first clue of how things were going to go.

I still see it as a mostly worthwhile communication device, but only for the three or four people left here who
also happen to care what I have to say. So, I do post once in awhile but admit I often feel it is a wasted effort.

I'm Rich H on FBBO. Holler.

Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/16/22 05:31 PM

I use ad block plus on my lap top and that fixes all the pop ups that screw everything up but I do see adds at the top for things like AMD, Springs and things, classic industries... but none of the non-sense like I have on my phone, I don't even look at moparts on the phone as I couldn't get ad block plus to work on there and having to zoom in and slide text and pics around to be able to read it. I haven't posted pics in years, they "upgraded" something and it wouldn't work like it used to, I think it was always telling me the pics were too big or something and since I don't have them on the comupter or any knowledge on how to change them anyway it is just too much hassle so no more selling things or posting interesting useful pics to help people out. The root of the problem is this is mostly a hobby of old folks, we don't adapt well to change for the sake of change, make this un useable and people just quit instead of wasting time trying to figure out the new crap.
Posted By: GY3

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/16/22 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
I'd say overall this site has had a positive effect on my life. Met a bunch of really cool folks, some on this thread, became friends with a few
which has driven all kinds of good stuff in life. But, you know, things are different now....a whole lot different.

It isn't anything any of us has control over, so, whatever.

For me personally, the lack of maintenance to the tech archives was the first clue of how things were going to go.

I still see it as a mostly worthwhile communication device, but only for the three or four people left here who
also happen to care what I have to say. So, I do post once in awhile but admit I often feel it is a wasted effort.

I'm Rich H on FBBO. Holler.

I share most of the same sentiments.

It has really helped me advance my hobby/engine program further than I thought I would be able to and has led to lifetime friendships.

It is nice to have some consistency here vs. Facebook. Here it's pretty easy to see trends and you learn who the people are that give good advice and have the experience to back it up. Not so much with random people on Facebook.

I am still amazed that when I have a question I can often search the topic on here and it's usually been covered in-depth!
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/16/22 07:11 PM

I mainly come here because of habit, and to receive more harassment from J Body, as I don't quite receive enough from him on Facebook daily.

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/16/22 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by HotRodDave
I use ad block plus on my lap top and that fixes all the pop ups that screw everything up but I do see adds at the top for things like AMD, Springs and things, classic industries... but none of the non-sense like I have on my phone, I don't even look at moparts on the phone as I couldn't get ad block plus to work on there and having to zoom in and slide text and pics around to be able to read it. I haven't posted pics in years, they "upgraded" something and it wouldn't work like it used to, I think it was always telling me the pics were too big or something and since I don't have them on the comupter or any knowledge on how to change them anyway it is just too much hassle so no more selling things or posting interesting useful pics to help people out. The root of the problem is this is mostly a hobby of old folks, we don't adapt well to change for the sake of change, make this un useable and people just quit instead of wasting time trying to figure out the new crap.

Yep pictures to big and I’m not resizing just for this website as it’s not needed anywhere else.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/16/22 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by furious70

ditto.

The FXBO sites have much better software, make it much easier to be a part of the community.
While I changed my name and resigned up once, I was 'wayne_township' on here all the way back when the Dallas Mopar Board existed as the main competition, until it's owner stopped upgrading and javascript hackers made it a mess almost daily.

Tom has posted several times on here about his stance - it's his product he can do what he wants. It's producing enough revenue as it is. I do come on here but mostly to look at the classifieds as a buyer.
IMO Joey has a better product with much better software and better terms of service.

And Joey also wants money to be a "gold member", he can't touch my gold member! Tom is a Mopar guy, Joey is a Lincoln vs Cadillac guy who found out he could make money on Mopar people. I do like the software better, hovering over a topic to see if it is of interest instead of having to open it save lots of time, but there are so many topics to chose from it get cumbersome and you miss a lot of things you might want to check out... twocents
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/16/22 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rhinodart
, but there are so many topics to chose from it get cumbersome and you miss a lot of things you might want to check out... twocents

Complaining about there being too many choices? Really?
All these naked women are too much! If only there were just ONE instead of 20 to look at!
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/17/22 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Kern Dog
, but there are so many topics to chose from it get cumbersome and you miss a lot of things you might want to check out... twocents

All these naked women are too much! If only there were just ONE instead of 20 to look at!

It's the too many sub forums. Convertibles, /6, wheels and tires, manual transmission, exhaust.

It forces you to bypass all that and read it in "Recent Topics" format. Which forces you to look through For Sale, Wanted and everything posted, recently.
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/17/22 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer
Originally Posted by HotRodDave

Yep pictures to big and I’m not resizing just for this website as it’s not needed anywhere else.

Ya what is up with that? Pictures that I posted before are now to big.

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/17/22 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by autoxcuda

It's the too many sub forums. Convertibles, /6, wheels and tires, manual transmission, exhaust.

It forces you to bypass all that and read it in "Recent Topics" format. Which forces you to look through For Sale, Wanted and everything posted, recently.

maybe because I started at the beginning of the internet when there were only mail lists and very crude message boards where you had to look at everything, but I read fbbo and fcbo off the 'new topics'. I'm interested in things from every sub-forum. To me there's nothing worse than a hobby message board with a bazillion subforums with less than 10 posts in the last week. Especially in the classifieds there's always been tons of duplicate postings on here.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/17/22 03:01 AM

Exactly what I was trying to convey, but the 12 hours in the air flying back from Maui tired out my already addled brain... realcrazy
Posted By: justinp61

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/17/22 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by BloFish

^^This^^ I use it and never see infolinks ad's, us it on my tablet and phone too.
Posted By: fc7_plumcrazy

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/17/22 12:04 PM

And Joey also wants money to be a "gold member", he can't touch my gold member! Tom is a Mopar guy, Joey is a Lincoln vs Cadillac guy who found out he could make money on Mopar people. I do like the software better, hovering over a topic to see if it is of interest instead of having to open it save lots of time, but there are so many topics to chose from it get cumbersome and you miss a lot of things you might want to check out... twocents

I agree fxbo sites are technically better. But as you wrote Tom is a Mopar guy and this is an oldschool board. I rather support a Mopar board run by mopar guys than doing it for someone who is just in it for the money.

Carsten

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/17/22 12:23 PM

I'm on Moparts, FBBO, FABO, FEBO and FTO pretty much everyday. Spreading the love.

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/17/22 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by justinp61
Originally Posted by BloFish

^^This^^ I use it and never see infolinks ad's, us it on my tablet and phone too.

Seriously I see absolutely zero pop ups. I don’t understand why everyone is so reluctant to try it.

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/17/22 04:15 PM

It's simply a matter of individual taste but I, too, avoid forums with a lot of sub-forums....I sometimes lurk there but am not registered and don't participate.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/17/22 04:24 PM

It's simply a matter of individual taste but I, too, avoid forums with a lot of sub-forums....I sometimes lurk there but am not registered and don't participate.

I agree on the sub forum thing. I'm on one of those for forums and go straight to the whats new button and if I want to find a post I just saw the day before I usually can't find it.
Too many sub forums is what kept me away from moparstyle too. Its one thing to have a few to keep things organized but when you have so many that one post overlaps a bunch of them it's a loosing battle.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/18/22 04:23 PM

Knowledgeable people are often busy, working, running a business, trying to keep up in a time when hired help is either not showing up, too expensive, or too big of a PIA, materials are short and problems are plenty. And it's harder than ever to make money. They just don't have time to loaf around participating.

Some of the folks who used to come on here and offer help, advice, comments, constructive criticism have passed away. Others grew tired of being questioned, argued with and/or being talked down to for their efforts.

Then there's the guy's who have businesses and get publicly bashed on here by people who feel they've been done wrong. Sometimes that's valid, and sometimes it's just a person with entitlement syndrome who's mad because they didn't get their butt kissed. Either way, they just walk away as it's not helpful for them to be here and get beat up.

Many members have been here for years. The world is changing. The number of people interested in old cars is shrinking. Government regs have eliminated much of what we used to be able to do. Cars have become more valuable and collectable than they were when we beat them up, cut them up and abused them. New iron doesn't appeal to everyone. There are specific forums for those interests.

Plenty of reasons for the changes. It's not Infolinks, although that is a PIA without adblocker. Just because I don't hang out on FB or some forum doesn't mean I'm actively boycotting it. More like I just don't have the time, the interest or don't want to participate for some other reason. People's tastes and interests change over time too.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/18/22 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by CMcAllister
Knowledgeable people are often busy, working, running a business, trying to keep up in a time when hired help is either not showing up, too expensive, or too big of a PIA, materials are short and problems are plenty. And it's harder than ever to make money. They just don't have time to loaf around participating.

Some of the folks who used to come on here and offer help, advice, comments, constructive criticism have passed away. Others grew tired of being questioned, argued with and/or being talked down to for their efforts.

Then there's the guy's who have businesses and get publicly bashed on here by people who feel they've been done wrong. Sometimes that's valid, and sometimes it's just a person with entitlement syndrome who's mad because they didn't get their butt kissed. Either way, they just walk away as it's not helpful for them to be here and get beat up.

Many members have been here for years. The world is changing. The number of people interested in old cars is shrinking. Government regs have eliminated much of what we used to be able to do. Cars have become more valuable and collectable than they were when we beat them up, cut them up and abused them. New iron doesn't appeal to everyone. There are specific forums for those interests.

Plenty of reasons for the changes. It's not Infolinks, although that is a PIA without adblocker. Just because I don't hang out on FB or some forum doesn't mean I'm actively boycotting it. More like I just don't have the time, the interest or don't want to participate for some other reason.

Spot on.....

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/18/22 06:52 PM

Hey, I'm still here so what else do you need? whistling

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/18/22 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by moparmarks
Oh my gosh so true. laugh
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/19/22 04:17 PM

Same here....lol!
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/19/22 06:02 PM

I agree. FFJMBO has this problem. In an earlier version of the forum software there was a feature that listed all posts in chronological order on a single page. Made browsing the forum very easy. It's gone now and keeping up is a PITA.

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/19/22 09:18 PM

I like Joey's forms. I just click on resent post and can keep up on everything.
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/20/22 04:29 AM

I've been on Moparts since 1997, and don't plan on leaving voluntarily! I guess when they zip me up in a big black bag is when I will be gone....lol. I use Ublock Origin and never see a pop up ad, so that's a non issue. The support that is here for projects, life issues, losing loved ones and pets has always been tremendous. It's what it has always been, but sometimes it's just difficult to recognize that. Tom has provided this place for us for a long time, and I never remember him asking for a red cent to make it run. I'm a member on FABO too, and constantly get "Invitations" to be a Gold Member! There are several there who look down their nose at you if you aren't a Gold Member, and a few of them that are like that don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of!
I miss the members who are no longer here, like Gary, Stu, Dennis....and also miss the ones that are still on this side of the grass, like Tom (AMXautoX) and Jeff (Ozhemi) that have kinda faded into the woodwork. I could go on and on about the fun times and also sad times on Moparts, but will end with saying that I just appreciate the website and all of the friends and knowledge that it has provided me for the last 25 years. up

Here's a 4 speed pic to show that old guys can figure out how to add pics!

Attached picture A body 4 speed.JPG
Posted By: wingman

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/20/22 02:16 PM

I'm still here!

I lurk at FBBO too and sometimes answer posts, but I can't get used to the gazillion sub-folders they have. Just my personal preference...
Posted By: Redbird

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/20/22 03:14 PM

It seems to me that this site has become a lot of complaining by angry old folks.

Once the political forum went up I blocked a fair number of posters.

I also realized that even if we had cars in common that I would never be welcome at a table with them at Carlisle or with them or any other event.

For me it was easy enough to find something else to do.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/20/22 03:26 PM

I dropped out for a while because I didn't have as much free time as I used to , I still don't ...

Now I am just running up my post count ....

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/20/22 03:29 PM

i don't think i will live long enough to come anyway close to JohnRR's post count.......... biggrin
beer
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/20/22 04:11 PM

I visit here most every day.

I have a good ad blocker.

I find the site pretty much unusable when I try to use it with my iPad.
Posted By: VT_Dart

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/20/22 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by JohnRR
I dropped out for a while because I didn't have as much free time as I used to , I still don't ...

Now I am just running up my post count ....

I'm in the same boat... dropped out for years due to life demands, but now find myself occasionally stopping in again. Good to see some of the same people hanging around that helped me so much 10-20 years ago. You, JohnRR, being one of them!

Posted By: John Brown

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/20/22 07:57 PM

Visit several times a day, and I'm not even what you would call a Mopar guy. Good information is worth more than gold, no matter where you get it.

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/20/22 11:54 PM

This website is well known for not getting responses out of people. You take your time to reply, possibly Google something for them, or post a link at you hear nothing back from them on the post. I don’t expect someone to kiss my butt but possibly a reply with some dog gone feedback would help the next guy

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/21/22 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by 340Cuda
I visit here most every day.

I have a good ad blocker.

I find the site pretty much unusable when I try to use it with my iPad.

I only visit this site with my IPad and have zero pop ups up
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/21/22 05:12 AM

This website is well known for not getting responses out of people. You take your time to reply, possibly Google something for them, or post a link at you hear nothing back from them on the post. I don’t expect someone to kiss my butt but possibly a reply with some dog gone feedback would help the next guy

Absolutely. I have suggested many times that people need to respond with thanks to those that helped along with a report of how it all turned out.
Some people are just parasites in this world....they only take from others, they never thank people for their contributions. They ask for help, many people chime in and the OP disappears as if he owed us all money.
I don't think that most people are that way but enough are to discourage some people from helping in the future.

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/21/22 05:38 AM

Since I posted last weekend I caught stupid Covid and before I could even recover fully I got caught up in some work issues that required my attention. Now that I got some time to come back to this post I'm both impressed and humbled. Impressed by the willingness of members trying to help resolve some of the issues others state they have and humbled by the irony I made a post and then got drug away from responding due to life. Sadly, it happens. Lastly, I'll add this. 99% of my time on Moparts is through my phone and although sometimes difficult to do, it's always well worth the effort. This truly is a great site with great people... bow
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/21/22 12:53 PM

I agree. I'm not God's gift to Mopars but sometimes it's hard not to adopt a "why should I even bother" attitude when someone asks a question. shruggy

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/21/22 01:16 PM

Yep a little courtesy goes a long way.

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/21/22 02:37 PM

Yep a little courtesy goes a long way.

There is actually a post started on May 9th that is exactly like I posted about in the race section right now. He posted twice on May 9th and disappeared. I’m done with trying to help.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/21/22 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by 6PakBee

I agree. I'm not God's gift to Mopars but sometimes it's hard not to adopt a "why should I even bother" attitude when someone asks a question. shruggy

Another version of this I came across on another site was someone who went into great detail showing how they come up with their own solution to a problem (when stock parts weren't available) and they listed NO information regarding part numbers or where they bought the part(s). In my instance, I PM'ed the person, and he simply answered 'online'. WHERE? He snapped back that he got it on Amazon, its not hard to find. Well, I reached out to him because I couldn't find it (and still haven't). What the frig is the big secret??

I guess they want me to have to hunt like they did. rolleyes
Posted By: Schultz62

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/21/22 04:45 PM

I would like to thank those that have stayed on here! I enjoy this sight and have since it was more of a message board. Was here when Mr Dave Schultz was here and then started MoparStyle I believe it was called. It's funny I do wonder where many people have gone but I don't think about the reasons as they are uniquely personal. Times change. Interests change. I still feel fortunate to be able to log in and get my Mopar fix. It is, I must say, it's so nice when people who 'disappear' do reappear. JohnRR is one of them. It's also sad for me when I hear of a member passing. I may not have even know him or her but it is a loss to 'our' community.

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/21/22 06:10 PM

Absolutely. I have suggested many times that people need to respond with thanks to those that helped along with a report of how it all turned out.
Some people are just parasites in this world....they only take from others, they never thank people for their contributions. They ask for help, many people chime in and the OP disappears as if he owed us all money.
I don't think that most people are that way but enough are to discourage some people from helping in the future.

Whatever happened to "charity is it's own reward"? Does every good deed need to be acknowledged? To some, maybe.

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/21/22 07:11 PM

Whatever happened to "charity is it's own reward"? Does every good deed need to be acknowledged? To some, maybe.

Did you even read and comprehend what I wrote. By following up on your post it may help someone else. I figured you would be dropping by. We all can learn from each other.

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/21/22 07:21 PM

Did you even read and comprehend what I wrote. By following up on your post it may help someone else. I figured you would be dropping by. We all can learn from each other.
I can answer this for him. He started thinking of his response while skimming your post so he didn't really comprehend yours grin

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/22/22 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Schultz62
I would like to thank those that have stayed on here! I enjoy this sight and have since it was more of a message board. Was here when Mr Dave Schultz was here and then started MoparStyle I believe it was called. It's funny I do wonder where many people have gone but I don't think about the reasons as they are uniquely personal. Times change. Interests change. I still feel fortunate to be able to log in and get my Mopar fix. It is, I must say, it's so nice when people who 'disappear' do reappear. JohnRR is one of them. It's also sad for me when I hear of a member passing. I may not have even know him or her but it is a loss to 'our' community.

iagree up beer

how many remember the Dallas site ?
Posted By: 71sat440

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/22/22 04:04 AM

I used to post a ton and got a week ban for something stupid. It was kind of annoying as some mods pick and choose who they let break the rules. No big deal, I used to have Moparts set as my home page, and would engage at every log on. But I had to pick something else for a week, and by the end of the week it was kinda nice taking a break. Now I come back once in awhile just to see who's still alive, and maybe ask a question once in a blue moon. Sometimes I think its even months before I bother to drop in. Holy cow, I just realized a question I had almost a month ago is still on the top page by my settings.......That used to NEVER happen. You used to come back a day later and have to dig down a page or two.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/22/22 11:22 AM

I started coming here years ago for technical information and received a lot of good advice. It seems a lot of those folks are gone or don’t post much anymore. On most forums, not just cars, if you ask what is “best” you’ll get pages of opinions. But ask a specific technical question and it’s usually crickets. I’m a member of other Mopar forums and it seems there are a few self proclaimed experts that have to post on every thread and it usually ends up in a whizzing match, it gets old in a hurry. These same experts seem to avoid the hard stuff. There is still a lot of information exchanged here, but I miss the guys like Dan and Bob George.

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/22/22 12:46 PM

Agree on the other sites there a couple guys that have a response for every thread. They are probably good guys with waaaaaay too much time on their hands.
Posted By: srt

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/22/22 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by TJP

yup
Or, before the internet belonged to the few "clubs" or online lists that had publications. Any belonged to siac or other rags printed on newsprint (mcg), became hunters of new editions when 2 or 3 became newstand fodder. There were even a few local clubs that sent out quarterly newsletters.
Mopar attraction runs long in several here.
I'll say it's different to offer help and have a post mired in differing processes, experiences, or even sop. Offer and move along, no one can force anyone else to accept a single reply, nor even offer thanks or feedback as to what was used to worked, or didn't to resolve.There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/22/22 04:08 PM

when i ask for help, i always remember to say "thanks in advance", and respond with a thank you when the question is answered.
if i try to answer a question, i really don't expect any praise, or even an answer for that matter.
just hoping my answer can help someone in any small way possible.
beer

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/22/22 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
when i ask for help, i always remember to say "thanks in advance", and respond with a thank you when the question is answered.
if i try to answer a question, i really don't expect any praise, or even an answer for that matter.
just hoping my answer can help someone in any small way possible.
beer

You guys still aren’t getting it. If you are needing help with something the first thing that should be done is a search. On a search you will sometimes get info from guys that left here or died years ago. If a post goes dead with no solution it doesn’t help someone searching for help months or years later. I probably do 10 Google searches a week and it leads to Moparts posts. Many many times with both good and other times zero info. Good and or bad feedback helps many needing help.

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/22/22 10:57 PM

Don't be so defensive. Read and comprehend that I was commenting on Kern's "parasites" post. Note the boxes around the post, they separate the replies. rolleyes
Posted By: Aero426

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/24/22 05:56 PM

Moparts is still a great site with knowledgeable people.

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/24/22 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by Schultz62

iagree up beer

Yep, was a member there and actually preferred the Dallas board to Moparts.

There were others like ScatPak.com (think that's how you spell it) but that went away after just a few years.

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/24/22 11:15 PM

The Mopar Muscle board was the first I recall.
Members included 451boy, X, SportFury, “Todd………….!!!!!!!!!!”

Maybe 4-6 months later the Dallas board popped up, it may have been there all along, not sure which was first.
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/24/22 11:42 PM

I found Moparts when the Dallas board shut down. There were some good times there. Anyone remember the "Cardboard Coronet" post there? I laughed until I cried...

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/25/22 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ramrod39
I found Moparts when the Dallas board shut down. There were some good times there. Anyone remember the "Cardboard Coronet" post there? I laughed until I cried...

I cruised both sites, can't say i remember the cardboard coronet though? Must've missed that one wink
beer
Posted By: HUSTLESTUFF

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/25/22 12:41 PM

Maybe 4-6 months later the Dallas board popped up, it may have been there all along, not sure which was first.

Zippy, I remember you and 451 boy on the website that had a cuda in its name back in the mid 90's
Posted By: ink

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/25/22 01:53 PM

I'm not going to read through all these pages ... but yes ... generally wont post anything due to the few members that find it necessary to point out a spelling error... as if they can't figure out what I'm talking about because I used the spelling of (to) when it should of been ( too ) .. I'm sure they don't need the part I'm selling so why not be arrogant ? always the same few members !!

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/25/22 02:00 PM

Moparts was the first site that I joined. Don't remember the other ones.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/25/22 03:56 PM

Yeah I remember those days..........
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/25/22 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF

Yeah I remember those days..........

I remember the Dallas board along with Cuda dudes and something Grinwas mopar????? I had a Magnavox WebTv box to surf the "World Wide web" back then. Even though the internet was popular I still bought the magazine Chrysler power something (printed on recycled paper) because of the for sale items.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/25/22 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by HUSTLESTUFF

Zippy, I remember you and 451 boy on the website that had a cuda in its name back in the mid 90's

Might have been the late 90's. Home computers were still fairly rare in the mid 90's, dial up and all that stuff. I think I installed a home computer somewhere around '97 or '98? I was working at Tektronix at the time and in those days we had full access to the internet. Message boards, games, even porn. The sysadmins started to crack down somewhere after 2000. These days the employees at some of the places I worked can't log into message boards. And porn became an instant firing offense somewhere around 2005. They started walking people out the door for accessing porn on work computers.

I managed the data center for a few years at Xerox and it opened my eyes to privacy and security issues. Before I worked that job I really didn't understand that all digital content in a large corporation is captured, stored, reviewed, etc. I used to think that I just wrote stuff on my computer and sent emails to people and that it was all private. I quickly learned that nothing is private. Every transaction is recorded and stored, typically for 7 years. HR or Security can review anything and everything at any time. So around that time I stopped logging into message boards from work.
Posted By: cudaboy

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/25/22 05:14 PM

With the aircraft landing lights, right? I can almost think of the guys name but not quite.

Dennis

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/25/22 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by HUSTLESTUFF

I forgot that one. what was the name of it?
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/26/22 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by cudaboy
With the aircraft landing lights, right? I can almost think of the guys name but not quite.

Dennis

The Cardboard Coronet post went something like this:

A member posted seeking advice because his across the street neighbor had a Cornet RT sitting in his yard for years. He would see the car and the owner from across the street often. The member dearly wanted to own and restore the car but the owner would not sell. He was asking how to convince the owner to sell the car to him. The thread went on for a while with lots of advice but the topper was when someone posted something like this:

"Empty, open, and clean your garage. Stand in your driveway when the neighbor is working in his yard and stare at the Coronet, then turn and stare at your empty garage. Then stare at the Coronet again and then at your garage again. Do this every time your neighbor is working in his yard so he gets the message . If this does not work after a while, reinforce the message by building your own Cornet out of cardboard in your driveway." laugh2

I do remember a landing light post but not any of the specifics.
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/26/22 08:31 PM

I only log on when I have the deeper questions and always hit up the Q&A and the Race & Engine for serious answers. One trip through the FB groups will get you laughing. People seriously give the goofiest advice just to give their opinion. FBBO is great, but I still love Moparts and recommend it when people struggle to find answers. It's difficult when the site doesn't keep up with the times, but as some have said, it's Tom's site and it's Tom's choice. I personally think the site could still be huge if the correct risks were taken.

Regardless, I'm still here, but it ain't like the good old days when I used to share my project. Just pass through to say hi now and then.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/27/22 10:06 AM

On the FB mopar group pages when somebody (Mostly an older member) brings up the Hemi and how legendary it is the younger guys chime in - automatically thinking of the modern present day Hemi and usually say its not that great.

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/27/22 11:28 AM

Facebook should change their name to Douchebook cause of the all douchebags on there. I do sell on there and there are some good Tingrill groups but a lot of the younger people on there can't see past their a$$hole and always have some stupid remarks.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/27/22 01:23 PM

Anyone who disagrees with me is wrong. Get off my lawn! runaway argue

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/27/22 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by cudaboy

Dennis

I do remember a landing light post but not any of the specifics.

Rocco was wanting to attach aircraft landing lights on the front of his car as I recall.
Posted By: VL21

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/27/22 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by bobby66

Anyone who disagrees with me is wrong. Get off my lawn! runaway argue

The new Moparts mantra!

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/28/22 05:51 PM

i'm not a "lawn boy" type of guy.
i can care less how much crabgrass and weeds make up the green color, just so the neighbor kid cuts the grass whenever the "boss" says it needs cut. biggrin
beer

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/28/22 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by GY3

Rocco was wanting to attach aircraft landing lights on the front of his car as I recall.

Put #4537 aircraft landing lights in the high beams position of two of my cars. Could light up stop signs two miles away at night. They were only useful when driving in sparsely populated areas, so I quit using them.
Posted By: VL21

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/29/22 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by John Brown
Originally Posted by GY3

Put #4537 aircraft landing lights in the high beams position of two of my cars. Could light up stop signs two miles away at night. They were only useful when driving in sparsely populated areas, so I quit using them.

A hundred years ago (early 70s) I was in college in Iowa, residing in Vermont.
The trip I sometimes took from Vt to Iowa was thru Canada, 401, in at Ft something in NY, out at Detroit.
Had a pair of these, got them from either JC whitney or Warshawskys, always thought they were the same company using different names, advertised as "driving lights".
On the long middle of the night, next to no traffic, running the high beams would cause the lights to go out after about an hour of constant use, then a half hour, etc.

Once I figured out what was happening, I just dimmed the lights once in a while.

There is apparently a circuit breaker built in to the headlight switch of a 64 Plymouth ...

And yes, in my small Vermont town those things would light the entire length of town in the middle of the night.

OH! I had to grind the mounting lugs down to get the filament to line up right, the ring held them in place fine.

Ah, the good old days ... now, here in Florida, there are brighter lights and no one dims ... grrr get off my lawn!

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/29/22 06:00 AM

Datsun truck had factory relays. Had to add them to the 69 Catalina state police car. Cut notches in the original buckets.

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/29/22 03:25 PM

those things really put off the heat as well.
stand in front of them long enough and you might get a sun burn. laugh2
beer

Re: It's amazing how many are "boycotting" Moparts... - 05/29/22 04:41 PM

Back in the 80-90's I had an aircraft landing light for the right high bean in my 64 El Camino. Was great when taking US50 across NV/UT in the middle of the night at 90 mph.
© 2024 Moparts Forums