According to one survey, in California, 20% of electric car buyers went back to gas:
www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ev-owners-switch-gas-power-study

EVs are still a niche market. Great for a select few, but not ready for prime time for most of us. Maybe someday, but not today.

And there are still good deals to be had on cars today. It's just that few people can or will take advantage of them. Most people want it all; a car that is pretty, dependable, and cheap enough. Lots and lots of people want that. And that demand drives the price up.

I can offer cars with two of the qualifiers above, but not all three. An example; hail cars with too many dents to fix can be had for really good prices. But while they may be dependable and cheap, they are not pretty. So I can't give them away. Most people would rather gamble on a pretty car with 180k on it. That unit may be pretty and cheap enough, but it's day to day dependability comes into question.

And let's not forget that vehicles 10 years and older can go to export with no export tax. That should not be allowed. According to Forbes magazine, the Unites States shipped 2.6 million used light duty vehicles overseas with a market value of $24.5 billion between 2015 and 2018. That volume has a direct impact on the price of older cars here. I hear folks talk about the 'Cash For Clunkers' debacle. But the impact that duty free exports have on the market is far greater, but largely unknown/ignored.

Master, again and still