Originally Posted by njmopar
I was able to snipe a decent deal last fall on a 2001 XJ for my daughter (first car). She really wanted one, but I told her most will be out of price range for sure.
Saw a marketplace post and next morning got it for $2K with 176K miles. Tiny bit of rust and a very tired suspension and interior.
Became a project for her and I. Of course, I got addicted and it became a mini resto project, including new paint (Maaco) and entirely new suspension and cleaned up interior.

I did the same thing with a 4runner but it was listed for $11,500 and I got it for $9000. Came with 2018 Tacoma wheels and tires on it plus the stockers with brand new snow tires. Sold each set for $1000 and put TRD Pro wheels and BFG K02's on it. EBC brakes, poly sway bar bushings fixed the front end clunk it had ($50), new CV shafts, rear gate actuator, and just had the stock suspension ripped out of it for Bilstein shocks all around and new springs up front. Love this thing, my buddy that works at a Toyota dealer said I'd get $17,000 for it right now easy, true body on frame V8 4x4 is all the rage right now.

Prior to this I had been driving brand new cars since 2008 and this thing is every bit as reliable and I missed going to the auto parts store and doing upgrades etc. Win-Win, and not only is it holding value, its increasing.

20210423_145221.jpg
Last edited by SRT6776; 04/30/21 11:15 PM.