Originally Posted by njmopar
I was able to snipe a decent deal last fall on a 2001 XJ for my daughter (first car). She really wanted one, but I told her most will be out of price range for sure.
Saw a marketplace post and next morning got it for $2K with 176K miles. Tiny bit of rust and a very tired suspension and interior.
Became a project for her and I. Of course, I got addicted and it became a mini resto project, including new paint (Maaco) and entirely new suspension and cleaned up interior.

Sounds familiar. I also bought a father/daughter project when my daughter was 16. First gen Honda CRV with bad engine. I made her help me do an engine swap (JDM). That was now 9 years ago, twice totaled (deer hits) since and I just keep putting it back together. Thing is SUPER cheap to fix and been ultra reliable. She bought a brand new truck in 2017 but still stores that every winter and continues to use the old reliable for cruddy months. Nothing wrong with a nice project so kids understand the basics.

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience