Originally Posted by A39Coronet

Is this even a legal setup? I question people who pull boxes with full size 1500s let alone a short bed 2wd. Not about getting it moving its about getting it stopped. To each his own but if I see you going down the highway I'm pulling over and letting you pass, no way I'd want to be near that.

Buddy of mine has a 2020 with a 6.4 and says it has plenty of grunt. Id think 4:10s aren't needed with the new transmissions. However, I'd keep the 06 above all.
My actual truck, with the factory equipment, empty weight, etc. is rated 8,700 lbs trailer. The published charts are for an average sales optioned truck (8,630 in 2015). Most 1500's have so much dead weight (quad/crew cab, 4x4, "big horn equip") etc. they can't pull as much trailer. Some only 7,000 lbs since they hit the truck "payload" weight limit before the trailer limit.
My empty truck (see shipping weight) is very light. Leaves more for payload, etc.
The optional equipment, driver+passengers, fuel, trailer tongue weight, hitch wt., etc have to be accounted for.

So my typical 7500-8000 lb trailer with only me and fuel is below all my truck's ratings. My cooler, etc are all in the trailer.
That 9,500 lb example is too heavy. IMO, it is really a handling issue; not a pulling or stopping issue. The brakes on a 2500 are not much better, but the chassis is better.

Jims_2015RAM1500_capacity.JPG

1993 Daytona, 5.50 at 130mph (1/8) 1.19 sixty ft (PG). Link to 572 B1 - Part 1