Originally Posted by stumpy
Before you get too carried away with the tunnel ram set up have you found carb linkage etc. to make this thing work? With a stock build I think I would go with a single 4bbl. The tunnel ran and 2 carbs maybe way to much for a stock engine unless you use very small carbs. But tunnel ram 2 and 4s does look cool on an old rod..

Right on - I totally hear you...

Without doing ANYTHING else to the engine - NOTHING - I think I'm going to swap to a high-rise dual-plane single-4bbl intake. I think it will make my life TONS smoother, not having to mess with linkages, carb settings, etc....at least right out of the gates. Someday, maybe - but for now there are plenty of other things that need to be addressed. Like steering, for example. Be really nice to be able to steer this beast! At some point in the future, perhaps I'll yank the single 4bbl, toss in a cam and church the heads a bit, then come back to the tunnel ram. Just for simplicity's sake at this point.

According to my calculations (thank you Google!) my carb needs to be in the neighborhood of a 650cfm - does that sound right to you?

(440cid X 6000 RPM redline X 85% efficiency as a street/driver vehicle) / 3456 = 650 CFM.

Does that sound reasonable? For a stock 440 with nothing other than an intake and some headers?

I'm looking at this carb, because it gets great reviews, has vacuum secondaries, and isn't stupid expensive:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-m08750vs/reviews

Anybody have any experience with this guy? What do you know about it? Would you have me start elsewhere?

And what about intake manifolds? I have access to a new(er) Offenhauser dual-plane high rise...so I thought I'd start there. Think that's too much for a bone-stock 440?

I'm all ears.....

Last edited by Vintage_MPG; 03/10/20 06:35 PM.