Originally Posted By Jeremiah
Kenny that is a bad deal on the pistons. I'm glad you are moving on to bigger and more bada$$ pastures.

On the pistons being fly-cut - Was this to solve a PtV clearance issue? If so, can we re-hash what the rod/stroke combo was along with the cam specs? I'm getting into a similar scenario and was wondering if losing some quench/squishy was beneficial in lieu of cutting on the pistons (or changing to a dished piston).

My 511 low deck was really close on the PtV (.080 Ex, .100 In) and luckily only .020 had to be removed from the valve face. That was with a cam that checks out at less than .750 at the spring retainer.

Merry CHristmas to you too buddy!

With the "QUALITY" work done to my engine, I'm thinking that nobody checked for sure and plunge cut the pistons, just to be on the safe side. When I saw pics of original pistons on 440source site, they took a ton of material out of the valve relief pockets on the intake side of my pistons. I'm sure they would have been safe with half the cut they took, that is, if they needed to be cut at all. .100" clearance on the intake is plenty safe IMO. My combo was a 4.15" crank, 6.76" rod, 4.380" flat top piston, -0.005" deck height. I was using -1 heads, heavy milled to 60cc chambers, .040" copper head gaskets. .765"/.714" cam lift with 1.7 rockers, 269/276 @ .050" duration.

And a Merry Christmas to you.

Last edited by sgcuda; 12/24/17 09:34 PM.