I have a JD Squared Model 3 with a hydraulic conversion that we engineered and built ourselves. Purchased in the early 90s and would not consider anything else except for maybe an upgraded machine from JD.

We have used this machine for 1.75 4130 down to .75 thin wall stuff. This machine makes smoother, nicer bends than some I've seen on high end stuff (think Top Fuel). Our hydraulics are very controllable and it's fairly easy to get things bent exactly as needed. Different bend radius and sweep angle dies available for all sizes. My big dies are 90 (actually about 100) degrees with the smaller sizes being 180s. That tooling is where you get money tied up. Steel dies instead of aluminum and are easy to re-polish if needed. All parts and dies are still available, nothing has gone obsolete. And it's made in the USA.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I expect anything that would do a nicer job than this would have to be a high dollar production machine. We had a machine like the "One Shot". Got rid of it after one job. Bought this and never looked back. Like any tool, the more you use it, the better operator you become. You have to learn how to make things mirror image working from a centerline, multiple bends in a piece and keeping it from having a twist (main hoops), compound bends (A pillar bars), fitting, working with springback of different materials, the math and formulas, etc. Expect to waste some material along the way.

Last edited by CMcAllister; 08/07/16 11:34 PM.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.