Originally Posted By MoparBilly
OK, maybe I was wrong when I suggested a grown up conversation. Can
I get a show of hands? How many guys tossing around opinions on this have actually had a 727, 904, C-4, C-6, Turbo 400, Turbo 350, and Glide apart on a build table and know what makes each one tick? Just wondering aloud. Forgive me if I think that has merit in this discussion.

My first Glide for my SST car was a stock case with stock 1.76 internals and a Hughes Pro Brake...darned thing nickel and dimed me to death!!

When I got to the point where I was breaking the output, and twisting the input shafts, I was forced to make a decision. I talked to locals who all told me to go turbo400.
I was intimately familiar with my trans by that point. I looked at some disassembled trans' at hipsters. The stock shafts in a turbo 400 are not the size of a t/f at their minimal cross section. At that point, I figured I had to buy shafts for either, so why change the car that was already set up for the t/f? I realize now that the shaft design has alot to do with the strength, along with the material.
Anyway, at that time, there weren't any guys locally that could give me an example of a car comparable to mine in weight, tq and gear combo using a t400. I went the A&A T/F$$$$ route. Didn't have to change the car, and had a very reliable trans.
My decision was definitely not a brand loyalty decision. Car was a gm body, chrysler engine, ford rear end and some garbage truck parts grin
All that being said, I now would go with the t400.

"use it 'till it breaks, replace as needed"