I have ran quite a few torqueflites. With power the planetary will pull the splines out. With the right valve body and band adjustment the 2-3 shift is great. And can be proven with driveshaft data. The converter is shallow as Monty mentioned. I was able to built an extremely durable 727 for less than $2,000.

Went powerglide and bought what I was told to buy and had a lot more money in it with stock case and jw bell. But, it last pretty well also with about half tge clutch life with much more line pressure than 727.

With my bellhousing business I get a lot of gm transmission builds using Reid cases. There is no comparison from a stock case to the Reid. Extremely good quality as well as the clean tunnel without sheilds. I am finding the superglide is a costly transmission plus the grand in cost of case. The turboglide will definitely give you sticker shock. But, I go with what I am told to use. I don't know what can be gotten away with. With the 727, I know whats needed and what is suggested.

I love me some old torqueflites. But even proflites make the change to a deeper converter, Montes spot on about that. And tge stock case is not blow proof. If there was a Reid quality case with a deeper converter pocket I'd recommend a torqueflite. But, there is not. With the quality of aftermarket parts if you have the funds and ability to change mounts go tge aftermarket gm based tranny. I have pump adapters for torqueflite to Reid for a reason. With a relatively low torque R5 358 the 904 is faster than any other automatic. But, awkward and junky with the necessary sheilds.

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.