UPDATE

I have put about 500 miles on the new cam without digging into the carb. It runs great but the A/F guage has been in the 10.9 to 12.0 range at cruise and low 13.0 range at idle. I changed the plugs and checked again. The old plugs smelled of gasoline so I expected to see some slight change. It did seem to clean it up a bit. I pulled out the 3.5 power valve and #83 jets and installed a 6.5 power valve and #82s. Throttle response did improve and I am now able to get the idle in Park and idle in gear numbers in the mid 14s. Cruise is still tricky but it is closer than before. At steady 50 mph in drive, I'm seeing a range of 12.0 to 13.8. The guage readings really move around a lot, maybe that is common for this AEM model?
While idling, the guage momentarily reads lean as I hit the throttle, followed by going down to the high 11.0 range. I guess this is tunable with different accelerator pump cams, maybe one that rises faster but ultimately has less overall lift? There was zero detonation when driving today, sunny and mid 90s here. It seems like it is running better than ever. It sure feels fast. boogie