Quote:

So Borgeson folks never heard of Statistical Process Control?

Not many of the aftermarket suppliers have. Not many know what GD&T means either. If the dimensions and tolerances are called out properly on the print then SPC is not really needed. As long as the tolerances of the print are met the part should fit. Now SPC and a corresponding effective QC program would be most beneficial in mass producing a part that meets those requirements consistently and cost effectively. The only challenge I would see is to establish a location tolerance for the frame you are bolting the part to. This frame was made 40+ years ago and may have had a rough life. It is a reality, but too many of the manufacturers we deal with use it as an excuse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_dimensioning_and_tolerancing

One of the parts on my car was the "first" for an A body. It did not even come close to fitting. When they said their prototype fit I asked them to send me the engineering drawing. I found the mistake, the drawer (I will not call that person an engineer) did not properly dimension a location which left it open to interpretation by the fabricator. I corrected the print, sent it and the part back. They sent me back a correct fitting part a few weeks later. They picked up all the shipping charges and such and overall were pretty cooperative.

-Michael

Michael 1968 Barracuda Notchback Coupe 440 EFI 6-pack, T56 Magnum 6-spd