Okay, went back and read the whole lot. TC@HP's use ov the word 'skosh' made the whole trip worth it. Anyways... 3" backspace on 10"? Well then... good fu-

No wait, i can do better. There was a guy selling brand new 18x11" (i know you wanted 17", but 18's will handle better, 18"s have more and better tire selection, and an 18x11" rim is impossible to find cheap) Torque Thrust II's, made to order with ANY offset, for $360 a piece. You could buy just the rears for now, and used tires. Thats a hella cool rim, in a very hard to get size that you can fit a LOT ov tire on (335's) for $700/pr.

If you look around, you can find more than one place doing this for around the same price. Most ov them are generally typical muscle car styling... Torque Thrust 2's, original TT's, Cragar SS copies, etc. This is still spending some money, but nowhere even close to 2-3K, and you had mentioned buying new 15's tires, ov the rarer variety, so maybe its in your budget.

Let really grasp for some straws now. Seeing as you've not ruled out finding uber-rare NOS tires. Look for some 285/50-15 Pirellis (thats not a typo). They had a killer speed rating too, not sure what it was (V or Z). E-berg had these on his Road Runner (all 4 corners on 8" Super Coupe rims) back in the early 40's and mentioned how great they were. Ov course, these were rare when those articles came out (early 90's?), so good luck. I actually saw a nice used pair ov these on Ebay a couple years ago for a decent price. Thought that was kinda funny.

Then there is always the ridiculous Pirelli P-Zero 345/35-15 (NO typo!) tire, that is STILL stocked at Tire Rack. 24.8" tall though, but at least 12ft wide. The good news? only $751 each.

Okay... doing some mental gymnastics i ventured back into the schematic morass that is the Goodyear racing catalog and it lists a 26.5x10x15 'Cobra' (Blue Streak Special) tire. 10" rim, 27" tall, 12.9 section width. There is a matching front tire at 26.5" tall and narrower. Even found a pic (below). That might actually work for my application. Though now i wonder how cheap these are. Not legal i'm sure, but they'd sure look mean on my hotrod. Hmmm... There MAY be other options in that catalog, but my IQ is under 200, so i've got more important mysteries ov the universe to spend my day figuring out.

I see Hoosier makes a similar 'vintage' racing tire that might work.

Anyone know how much these racing tires typically cost?

One thing you did not mention Rapom65... was what kind ov car this is for.