Quote:

Could not the same be said for the carburetor? Yet it is still a cost effective and manageable method of putting power to the ground.

Oh not even remotely the same thing. Carbs still rule racing for the most part, but 1960's tire tech aint ruling anything.

Quote:

Have you perused the Hoosier catalog anytime lately? It is still 50% bias ply. While they have lost favor on street applications in general, they are still a very viable competition tire. Now, while the main thrust of this topic is for a street car, the OP has 2 sets of the old N50s, so why not indulge the request. I'd put those MT I compounds over even new TAs any day.

Heck, IMO, Bias ply should hold a more prominent place with neophyte handling applications. Their traction circle, sound, and feel could produce very rapid learnings in the unexperienced driver. They have a very linear and wide traction window. By comparison, a radial will have a more narrow range of grip to deal with and a novice may find themselves blowing off the tires more often than not.

Isn't that kinda like saying that cars should be slow and dangerous so that people can learn to drive better? I'M talking about the best performance for the money here. I dont want a tire to teach me how to drive, i want a tire to keep me out ov the canyon (the actual canyon), or off the guardrail... ie: ahead ov the other guy.

But again, i'm talking about those old styles like ProTrac, or Formula One Super Stocks... that old crap i used in high school (late 80's) because it was the only way to buy a 12" wide tire for $20 (no one else wanted to use them!). I am fully aware that companies are making new design racing tires in bias ply... I'm sure THAT stuff is fine. You are recommending that some guy put 40 year old tires with a durometer rating somewhere in between that ov a forklift tire and a bowling ball on his classic car and try to go fast around corners. Or am i missing something?

Quote:

No, I have not. I haven't even worn out my SRs yet. I might try them out in the future though. They actually offer a whole host of sizes from 14 to 18. The trick may be finding a distributor who will pick them up for you. This also demonstrates that this is one of the few new carcass designs out there if they have used it in this product line up to those more modern sizes. http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLight-Truck/Light-Truck-SUV/MA-S1-Marauder.aspx

Well now you've got me looking high and low for these things. Not an easy tire to find. No Tire Rack means no cheap shipped prices. I refuse to buy anything from Canada (though a store in town carries them), and even Discount Tire doesn't carry them. Hmmm...

Incidentally, what do you think ov the Marauder's 360 treadwear rating? The old T/A is 400, the KDW's start at 300. Wonder what the old Comp T/A's were... Is that number so important? Many guys say a GOOD tire starts at 200...