Quote:

Quote:

Incidentally, what do you think ov the Marauder's 360 treadwear rating? The old T/A is 400, the KDW's start at 300. Wonder what the old Comp T/A's were... Is that number so important? Many guys say a GOOD tire starts at 200...

Can't say. However, despite what some sanctioning bodies rule books say, I hope we all understand that tread wear ratings are not universal but instead are relative. The ratings only matter within the context of that manufacturers product lines. If everything they make is rock hard at 400, then half that hardness at 200 could still be a higher durometer than someone else's 300. Heck, MT won't even rate their tires that way because everything they have is so specialized. If an MT SR was 400, a drag slick would be a 200 and I bet it would grip a whole lot better than a Nitto 200. IMO, treadwear ratings aren't a fair comparison and when Dan W's shoot out is published, we'll all see the difference between similar ratings.

I suppose it would be handy to know how Maxxis as a whole fare against other brands then. I've never really considered them a serious tire, compared to the favorites like BFG, Michelin, Pirelli, etc. My semi-educated guess would be that for a 360 they are hard, especially seeing as the Marauder is actually a truck tire, not a car tire. Though its 'soft' next to their other truck tires... again, its all relative. The KDW2 is '300' and frankly, for how i drive thats all the tire i need. BFG's Radial T/A leaves a LOT to be desired though, and thats a 'BFG 400' treadwear. I'd guess the Marauder is a solid, stiff tire... good in that respect, that is fairly hard in the actual compound. Again... i'd love to be able to compare it to the old H-rated Comp T/A... as i have experience with that tire on the same type car/suspension these will be going on. That would be 'good enough'... for the money.