Quote:

Quote:

...Installed the dowels so that the bell housing moved downward .007 and my runout was no more than .002 top to bottom and within .001 side to side...

You moved the bellhousing down? From your initial readings I would have thought you would move it up. With a '0' at the top and '-16' at the bottom, to get a reading in the negative direction the bell has to be moving away from the dial.

But your final numbers are right on the money. 0.002 top to bottom is 0.001 off center and starting out with 0.008 off center, 0.007 dowels gives you 0.001 off center. Likewise with the side readings, they haven't changed. Congratulations! Next time it'll be easier.

Yes, I moved it down. The you tube video that was posted earlier in this thread had initial runout very similar to mine. In that case the tech explained that the bellhousing needed to go down. I made that initial change thinking if he was wrong, I can always switch it. He was right which made my life easier. I think my + and - readings helped confuse the issue too. Again, the tech in the video took readings that were to the right of zero on the dial indicator as - and to the left of zero as +. - being further away from zero and + being closer. Therefore, the bellhousing was further away from zero (at the top)so he said the bellhousing had to go down.
This was my first time so I just followed his and moparts member's advice. That video was awesome though. Nothing like being able to see it and then do it. In my line of work we say "see one, do one, teach one". Not sure I am at the teach one yet.

Last edited by moparmedic; 03/03/13 12:32 PM.

1968 Coronet
1968 Charger
1966 A100 Pickup
1967 Barracuda
1970 Challenger
1972 Challenger
1973 Barracuda
2021 Ram 2500