Quote:

The second option involves extremely high doses of chemo and some type of bone marrow transplant.(I don't know how a bone marrow transplant would help since the cancer is in the spine and spinal fluid.)

Of course you should be looking to the medical experts, and not faceless friends on a car website, for explanations of complex medical procedures.

Nevertheless, this is my understanding of a bone marrow transplant, as it applied to my sister and her so far successful battle with non-hodgkin's lymphoma:

In her case, it was basically a replacement of her immune system with that of another person. Although this was originally done by messing directly with bone marrow, it is a different process nowadays. The theory is that another person's immune system might recognize the cancer cells as the foreign invaders that they are, and wage a more successful battle against them. The super-high doses of chemo represent a two-pronged attack - both against the cancer, and as the mechanism that destroys the patient's existing immune system in preparation for getting a new one.

Moparts member srt has had a similar procedure done.

Words fail in something like this, but I join with everyone else on this board in wishing you the best for your son's struggle and the heartache you feel.

Down to just a blue car now.