Quote:

An adjustable, Set 7 bearing is a needlessly complicated design that weakens the differential:

Sorry, Cass, I think you're exaggerating this for the sake of argument.

Quote:

Limits side gear spline engagement:

I don't agree that this 1/8" is a big deal.

Quote:

Is prone to leakage and dirt/water contamination in many applications

So why not an epidemic of failures in the 25+ year history of this design? Anything that is misused is subject to failure.

Quote:

Axle flange standout varies greatly unless the axles are cut long, installed then blue printed to length.

Greatly? How much we talkin' here? .030" total? Seems the factory had no problems in mass production.

Quote:

Most of these problems could have been avoided if the "engineer" who designed the system would have flipped the bearings around so the race would seat against a machined step inside the housing end. This would require no adjustment, no thrust buttons and the axle lengths wouldn't be critical.

I doubt that production tolerances would allow that design because, without adjusters, the bearing retainer would either preload the bearing or let it run loose.

Quote:

there is really nothing wrong with snap-ring style Green bearings.

That's the point of conjecture, look in any ball bearing catalog and they'll state the maximum allowable side load for a given ball bearing. Bearings without a loading slot are limited to the number of balls and are therefore more load-limited than a bearing with a loading slot. Loading slots would be inappropriate for a side loaded bearing like the Green.

The tapered bearing is superior in handling the thrust loads they're subjected to in turns.

Quote:

Green bearings make my life easier.

IMHO, that's the absolute worst reason to replace the factory bearing with them.

Quote:

I sell at least 500 a year, and my customer's rarely have problems with them.

You sell them because you recommend them to your customers. Don't always assume that because you don't hear of a problem it doesn't occur.

Quote:

In contrast, almost every time I sell set 7 bearings, the customer has installation questions/problems.

Come on, Cass, don't blame the bearing for people's inability to properly install/adjust them. I have never had a problem installing or adjusting a factory bearing.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway