I know you guys are probably getting tired of my engine problems but here it goes. My last problem was a combination of being too lean and a bad coil. The engine is a 73 400 originally a 2bbl, now has a Holley 670 Street Avenger, 452 heads, mild cam, and headers.

Now I have the engine running and barely drivable. The car refuses to idle below 1000rpm and tries to die when put in gear unless I feather the throttle, but once it is in gear for a couple seconds I can let go of the gas and it will run all day.

I am no expert so I set the timing by getting the engine to a steady 3000rpm with the vac advance disconnected then moving the dist until I got what i thought was the highest rpm by ear. The car revs fine with now load all the way to 4500rpm, which is as high as I want to rev it. When I suddenly let off the throttle it backfires.

I tried power braking to see how it performs under load. I hold both pedals to the floor and the car refuses to go above 2000rpm and runs very rough. i can't even get a tire to spin.

I then tried road-testing it. From idle to 3500rpm it runs really rough and makes no power at all. In "D" under WOT it shifts out of first at 3500rpm. If I put it in "1" the car screams from 4000rpm-5000rpm. I think I have an ignition timing problem but am not sure.

Thanks,
Dan