When I was running KOS my car picked up 1/4 mile ET switching to the glide. Now you know someone.

That said there is nothing wrong with a properly built 727. The problem I see when running high HP is the shallow torque converter dept. This is why companies like Pro-Trans use a GM style converter.

Never understood the powerglide is cheaper arguement either. If your car is less than 3,500 lbs and makes less than 800HP you should easily be able to run stock internals in a 727. The only issue is safety so spend $500 on a good front drum. For the last time a bolt in sprag is a repair sprag and has nothing to do with how strong your trannie will be. My NA engine will break aftermarket planetaries in the PG. It only makes 650 lbs of torque. So you need a bell and flywheel. $350 and then a minimum $700 planetary in the glide. A transbrake is cheaper for a glide about half. You get $250 back from what you spent on the planetary you did not need in the 727.

When you get into high HP the glide requires a more expensive planetary. About $1,300 so does the 727. A truck planet is $500 that will hold anything but is helicle step up to optional ratios and staight cuts and the price gets in the thousands. This is when the PG is the cheaper choice.

The average racer tran sbrake powerglide for a mopar $2,500; 727 is $2000

The ultimate high HP racer (well over 1,000 hp) PG $5000; 727 is $7,000.

How many guys on here are making well over 1,000HP? It's a fad all your buddies like powerglides so you get one too.

There are cars better suited for 727's and some are better with PG's. Then some guys like the 400 trannies with cheaper gear choices and more of them and you use the best parts with it the GM dept converters. I have seen these work well also. Just hate to hear someone knock a 727 when they know nothing about one or what it can handle.

My car ran 8.41 at 3200 lbs with a 727. Truck planetary and aftermarket drum. $1000 plus a $500 Transbrake and basic rebuild parts. It ran 9.0's with nothing but the drum. Big tires and big hook required the planet but that was after the street DANA 60 gears failed.

Running NA the powerglide is not my best choice I will say again I have two PG's for sale.

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.