Quote:

The debate over whether to go OE vs. overrestored has many sides. The OE type resto is painstaking, frustrating, and usually the most costly. Part availablity for these types of restos are such that unless the car is a high option 6 pack or Hemi car, you will be in for well more than the value of the finished car when it's done. But far be it from me or anyone else to tell anyone which car is worthy of a high dollar resto. It's the choice of the individual.

The "overrestored" style of restoration is sometimes more practical. Some liberties can be taken such that the finished product becomes more easy to live with. A true OE type of paint job, for instance, would be an orange peely acrylic enamel- rather than the slick and durable urethanes used today. You also wouldn't have to mortgage the kids college fund to find the correct, dated exhaust system for the car.

As for value, that's kind of difficult to say. I have seen some overrestored and even tasefully modified cars sell for more than their more correct counterparts. One instance that comes to mind is a certain red A12 Superbee that I did a bunch of work to some time back. This was a car with headers, frame connectors, a hard running stroker motor and a really nice paint job. This car sold for much more than comparitive OE restored cars at that time at the BJ auction. The other(and most important) consideration is what you plan to do with it when it's done. Most guys that go "true OE" wind up pushing the car on and off the trailer with little booties on the tires for fear of disturbing all of the correct parts and finishes which will deteriorate quickly if prepared the way these cars were when new. And you can see how that would get old pretty quick.

At the end of the day it's your car and do with it whatever makes you happy. Talk to others that you see at car shows and have cars that fit your criteria and ask them their opinion.

Good Luck and let's see some pics of that fish!

MB

Mike is giving you good advice Matt. Most important is that it is your car and you should have it the way you like.

First decision is if you are going to drive it or only show it, and where. At the smaller venue shows, most will not know the difference in OE vs. great quality show car. This is always my first question to my customers. I have found that other than those that want museum quality, most want their car to stand tall around the other cars. If you decide to go OE, a lot of the effort put in does not get seen or noticed. Figure out what you want, your budget and then we can better advise you.