Moparts

Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop

Posted By: Cudakid

Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/16/09 11:04 PM

Hello I am brand new to this site but I have gathered much great info in the past from it.

I have a dilema and I hope some of you can offer advice for a newbie.

I am looking to find a high quality detail oriented shop to undertake resto on my 71 Cuda. I am the original owner and I would like the car restored to look like the day I picked it up at the dealer.

Also can someone explain the difference on value impact of an "oe" correctly restored car vs an over restored car?

I am puzzled which way to go.

Thanks in advance, Matt
Posted By: VCODE

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/16/09 11:20 PM

Welcome Matt,

Here you go, A show winner from The Finer Details
Talk to Ken Mosier. You will be more than Happy
I Am
Multi Show winner
Bob Conca
Posted By: HPMike

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/16/09 11:28 PM

The debate over whether to go OE vs. overrestored has many sides. The OE type resto is painstaking, frustrating, and usually the most costly. Part availablity for these types of restos are such that unless the car is a high option 6 pack or Hemi car, you will be in for well more than the value of the finished car when it's done. But far be it from me or anyone else to tell anyone which car is worthy of a high dollar resto. It's the choice of the individual.

The "overrestored" style of restoration is sometimes more practical. Some liberties can be taken such that the finished product becomes more easy to live with. A true OE type of paint job, for instance, would be an orange peely acrylic enamel- rather than the slick and durable urethanes used today. You also wouldn't have to mortgage the kids college fund to find the correct, dated exhaust system for the car.

As for value, that's kind of difficult to say. I have seen some overrestored and even tasefully modified cars sell for more than their more correct counterparts. One instance that comes to mind is a certain red A12 Superbee that I did a bunch of work to some time back. This was a car with headers, frame connectors, a hard running stroker motor and a really nice paint job. This car sold for much more than comparitive OE restored cars at that time at the BJ auction. The other(and most important) consideration is what you plan to do with it when it's done. Most guys that go "true OE" wind up pushing the car on and off the trailer with little booties on the tires for fear of disturbing all of the correct parts and finishes which will deteriorate quickly if prepared the way these cars were when new. And you can see how that would get old pretty quick.

At the end of the day it's your car and do with it whatever makes you happy. Talk to others that you see at car shows and have cars that fit your criteria and ask them their opinion.

Good Luck and let's see some pics of that fish!

MB
Posted By: TrueTripleX

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/17/09 12:11 AM

Quote:

The debate over whether to go OE vs. overrestored has many sides. The OE type resto is painstaking, frustrating, and usually the most costly. Part availablity for these types of restos are such that unless the car is a high option 6 pack or Hemi car, you will be in for well more than the value of the finished car when it's done. But far be it from me or anyone else to tell anyone which car is worthy of a high dollar resto. It's the choice of the individual.

The "overrestored" style of restoration is sometimes more practical. Some liberties can be taken such that the finished product becomes more easy to live with. A true OE type of paint job, for instance, would be an orange peely acrylic enamel- rather than the slick and durable urethanes used today. You also wouldn't have to mortgage the kids college fund to find the correct, dated exhaust system for the car.

As for value, that's kind of difficult to say. I have seen some overrestored and even tasefully modified cars sell for more than their more correct counterparts. One instance that comes to mind is a certain red A12 Superbee that I did a bunch of work to some time back. This was a car with headers, frame connectors, a hard running stroker motor and a really nice paint job. This car sold for much more than comparitive OE restored cars at that time at the BJ auction. The other(and most important) consideration is what you plan to do with it when it's done. Most guys that go "true OE" wind up pushing the car on and off the trailer with little booties on the tires for fear of disturbing all of the correct parts and finishes which will deteriorate quickly if prepared the way these cars were when new. And you can see how that would get old pretty quick.

At the end of the day it's your car and do with it whatever makes you happy. Talk to others that you see at car shows and have cars that fit your criteria and ask them their opinion.

Good Luck and let's see some pics of that fish!

MB

Mike is giving you good advice Matt. Most important is that it is your car and you should have it the way you like.

First decision is if you are going to drive it or only show it, and where. At the smaller venue shows, most will not know the difference in OE vs. great quality show car. This is always my first question to my customers. I have found that other than those that want museum quality, most want their car to stand tall around the other cars. If you decide to go OE, a lot of the effort put in does not get seen or noticed. Figure out what you want, your budget and then we can better advise you.
Posted By: MoparABE

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/17/09 12:41 AM

I agree with the above. You should determine what you want first and then search for a shop that suits your needs. If you want pure OE, prepare to pay out the nose for the rare parts.

Here are some of the best shops in the country you should consider.

1) Roger Gibson Restorations, MO
2) Paul Jacobs Restorations, IN
3) Mike Mancini Restorations, RI
4) Rocket Restorations, WA
5) Resto Rick, WI
6) Finer Details, IN

I see you are located in Mass. I would highly recommend Mike Mancini as he is in RI, close to you. He is just about the best on the east coast.

Post some pics!

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/18/09 12:54 AM

Thank you guys for the input and the references.

I really would like to build the car as original as possible but I could stand for a modern paint job. Base/clear just makes sense maintenence wise. One concern I have would be the bare metal parts rusting if they were left bare.

Does anyone have any of the contact info for each of these restorers?
Posted By: 68jim

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/18/09 01:02 AM

Matt,

If you are willing to go a bit further south then I can recommend Walt Clark and his crew. They did a base coat/clear coat in the original color for my 68 Road Runner and it came out sweet!!

http://www.clarkclassic.com/

Jim
68 Hemi Road Runner

Attached picture 5489153-Bodyshop13d.jpg
Posted By: meepmeep70

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/18/09 01:10 AM

cudakidd,where in mass. are you? the big name in my area is Blair Smith on 106(pm me for his number)he does nothing but restorations is is by far one of the most detail oriented mopar body guys around the mass.area. good luck in your project Darren. he is actually working now on the basket case general lee that was bought by a member here for ridiculous money but ended up being taped together,literally,there is a thread around here somewhere
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/18/09 01:32 AM

If you're concerned about the bare metal parts rusting, and you'd like to have base/clear paint, and plan on driving the car, I think you should definately go for the over restored route instead of OE. You'll be happier, and it will be cheaper.

I've heard a lot of great things about Allen Auto in Canada. He hasn't done any work for me personaly, but I hear it's terrific work at an even better price.

How much work do you want to do yourself? Are you just looking good bodywork & a painted shell so you can put the car together, or are you looking for a turnkey resto?

There are at least a few places that you can send the car to have all the metal work done, and they'll send it back to you painted and ready to assemble.

Tav
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/18/09 01:43 AM

Try Rocket Restorations in Olympia Washington, they can take your car to ANY level you desire and will work with you in getting the car to the level that meets your budget and level of satisfaction. They recently restored am OE Gold winning 1971 Hemi Cuda (scored Gold by not just one, but BOTH of the Nations top two highest rated judging bodies).

The distance & transportation may seem daunting but don't let that get in the way of quality work, the cost will be minimal in the overall scope of a ground up restoration. Ask them for references, they can offer many.

See pics at www.rocketresto.com

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/18/09 01:46 AM

I am really looking to have the car restored start to finish. I do not have the time nor the talent to achieve what my hopes are for the car.

I am on the fencce about the OE thing. Part of me wants everything just like factory but I would eventually want to drive the car every now and again.

I am going to start calling some of the shops mentioned here and see what my options are.

Any advice on what to ask when dealing with a shop?
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/18/09 02:08 AM

my

Decide exactly what you want in the finished product and what you intend to do with it once completed BEFORE you remove the 1st bolt ( or have it removed as the case may be )
Posted By: A12

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/18/09 02:28 AM

I guess the real question is how much are you willing to pay? It is no problem figuring out what you want or who to do it, the problem is when it comes time to shell out the $$$$$$$$$ Whatever the price quote you get just go ahead and tack on another 30% - 40% "surprise" money for the "we couldn't find a good _______ (fill in blank) for a decent price so we had to pay double what it usually costs or "We got the car back from the stripper and we have some bad news........

If you're dreaming that it's not going to cost more than what you think, well then.......you're dreaming You can spend triple or more to restore a car the way you want than what it is actually worth but if that's what fires your rocket

So how much are you willing to spend, that's what should determine your restoration IMO and don't forget the 30% - 40% extra

MikeR
Posted By: anlauto

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/18/09 03:56 AM

In that area of the world I would go with Mike LaBrecque of LaBrecque Autocraft in CT
Posted By: CHALLENGER_KEN

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/18/09 10:21 AM

Hello Matt. my name is Ken Mosier, I own The Finer Details in Danville IN, we restore mostly E bodys, I would like to talk to you you can call me at any time at 1-317-709-3625. And thanks Bob.
Ken
Posted By: sg333e

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/18/09 01:23 PM

Quote:

Also can someone explain the difference on value impact of an "oe" correctly restored car vs an over restored car?

As a point of reference, a few years ago in the bubble era a guy bought an over restored Hemi car for top dollar, but at least $100K in NOS parts in it to get OE gold, and sold for less than he bought it for. You be the judge.

I believe you can do a lot of things that trend you towards on OE look (no shiny bottom for example) but still retain driveability. Ping me offline if you like.
Posted By: MoparABE

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/19/09 12:31 AM

Mike Mancini's contact number is 508-932-1349, very impressive work.
Posted By: moparjohn

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/19/09 01:29 AM

My reccomendation is for Troy Angelly / Paul Jacobs for detail work. Their cars have won OE gold the last 4 years at the Mopar Nats with several getting best of show including this year.
Troy 618-926-5921 Paul 812-963-5219
Posted By: cloneguy

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/19/09 01:53 AM

We'll give you the best job for the best price.

I'll give you the names of our current and past customers and let them tell you about us.

You won't find a shop anywhere that gives you the quality you want AND price as well as we do.

Call me, Tim 404-234-1000. We are 3 guys with over 100 years of collective experience and we can get started on your car right away. No one with less than 30 years of experience will ever touch your car at our shop!

It's worth shipping to us. We've done cars from Toronto to New Orleans. We have one in the shop now from NYC and another on it's way from WA state.

Check out our MAX price guarantee and let me put you in touch with our customers.

Thanks!

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop *DELETED* - 09/19/09 03:46 AM

Post deleted by anlauto

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/19/09 09:49 PM

no i dont want the 25K special, Seems like you hit up all the messageboards with your spam. i am looking for someone qualified to do OEM work thank you
Posted By: JeffsCustomPaint

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/20/09 03:41 AM

personally I hate OE as they sucked back then the paint was crappy and even had runs in it.I for one go Over retored every time when it comes to paint and who wants to do all those paint dabs all over the car. To me Mopar OE quality wasn't that great back in the day and I want a car that is built better then what they had to offer back then.I'm biased as I restore everything over-retored as trying to make the paintjob crappy and peely takes more effort then doing my showcar smooth as glass mirror finish.
It's your car and get it done the way tou want the best you can for the money you can afford.

my question is to all those who are refering the shops and pushing them,what's your kick back?,LOL
this thread has more resto shops begging to do your car. I never begged for work when I had my restoration shop I just did nice work and the word spread and I had too much work that I couldn't possibly do myself but had only helpers from time to time and never had qualified body and paint restoration help so it soon got over whelming and burned me out fast.

Complete restorations take time so make sure your choice of shop doesn't promise you the moon then don't deliver but give them adequate time to do the type of work you desire but make sure they keep on shcedule and keep you updated with progress photos if you choose a shop that isn't local.require that they include your VIN tag in the photos as not to send you photos of another car that looks like yours that is also getting restored and ahead of yours in progress.
personally I would stay clear of shops that are banging down your door to do this job as the quality shops that do great work let the work come to them as they don't need to solocite for work.
IMO, the ones who have no work and are begging for yours sends up signals, why don't they have other work if they are so good??

I would rather pay a little more for a reputable shop with references then then take it to the shop that is offering a discount or they will beat anyone elses price cause from when I had my shop the materials have increased big time and if they don't charge more they aren't using quality products and cheap paint and materials isn't what you want for quality work and have it last.
above all get everything in writing and all additional work must be authorized by you.
another tip is never pay too much in advance,pay for it in stages as they do the work and prove to you with photos that the work has been done then pay them the next installment this way it insures your car will get done in a timely manner and that you got what you already paid for or they don't get anymore money.

Good luck and choose wisely
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/20/09 04:19 AM

Quote:

personally I hate OE.......takes more effort .......

This is the real reason most people do not try and duplicate a factory vehicle. While some think that a wet sanded paint job is the cats meow, many others feel that the patina of a new, factory type restoration is tops. How many people in this hobby wouldn't want to go back in time and bring back a showroom vehicle to present day? I seriously doubt that ANYONE would rip it apart or repaint it to get rid of the "crappy" appearance that these cars exemplified when new. Does anybody else remember the new smell or feel of a late sixties or early seventies vehicle? (My parents NEW 1971 Buick Le Sabre when I was ten years old!)

What a pleasant, reminiscing thought!

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/20/09 12:40 PM

do me a favor if your gonna quote me don't delete half of what I said cause it's not what I said and how I said it the way you quoted it.
it looks like i'm too lazy to do it the OE way and that is not what I said when talking about takes more effort to make the paintjob have peel and runs or sags.
I personally like to paint them out of the gun as smooth as I can without runs and orange peel and I have been painting that way so long it's hard for me to do a crappy paintjob,without totally messing it up cause you have to paint it bad on purpose and sometimes it's not as easy as it sounds when your trained to do great paintwork. basically what I would have to do to get a OE type paint job is put a spraygun in the hands of
a beginner and tell them to go paint this guys $20-30K car,yah right

Also todays paint is different then what yesteryear had to offer and even the Enamel sigle stage paints are better so you would be hard pressed to really duplicate an authentic 70's paintjob.You may get close but a perfect unrestored OE Survivor up against a OE style resto
paintjob I gaurentee I can tell you which is which

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/20/09 03:58 PM

Did you paint the fire on your Myspace background? That's something we haven't done yet and I love it. It's really Kewl!

Thinking about the next streetrod to give the burning look.

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/20/09 04:07 PM

Quote:

no i dont want the 25K special, Seems like you hit up all the messageboards with your spam. i am looking for someone qualified to do OEM work thank you

Sorry, we are only members of this board so you must have us confused with someone else.

Check us out in the "Moparts Hot Deals & New Products" Section for some examples and explanations.

Thanks!

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/20/09 04:39 PM

This must be another MC Revolution with the same message

http://forums.customrodder.com/70/7704523/whats-the-latest/restorations-frame-off/index.html

http://www.impalaforums.com/restoration-...-years-exp.html

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/20/09 04:40 PM

Thanks to all that offered advice. I have already spoken to a number of people that have given me some good info when searching for a shop. I am going to be getting in touch with some places and I will let you know how I make out. Matt

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/20/09 05:53 PM

Quote:

This must be another MC Revolution with the same message

http://forums.customrodder.com/70/7704523/whats-the-latest/restorations-frame-off/index.html

http://www.impalaforums.com/restoration-...-years-exp.html

No, you are 100% correct. I just spoke with my partner and his wife posted those in July and early August. I didn't know that was happening as we've been focusing on Moparts exclusively. She was trying to give us a hand.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/20/09 05:57 PM

Quote:

I gaurentee I can tell you which is which

Please do not take this response as being combative. Last year, a guy on this forum told me that "I was going to eat crow" because I said that the Challenger we were restoring would look like a factory correct vehicle when it was completed. He was obviously judging our efforts by his own shortcomings, limitations and understanding of the project. If you have ever tried to do an OE Factory type paint job, you would realize that the skill and effort is ten times more involved than simply spraying paint, sanding and buffing. It is the later paint process that is performed by a novice so they can hide or fix their inability to correctly apply the paint to begin with. As far as your "gaurentee" to tell a factory job from an OE restoration, I will gladly take you up on that challenge. Make it a point to come to next years Mopar Nationals and I will guarantee that your ability to distinguish the difference will not be as easy as you presume.
Please accept my apology for abbreviating your previous quote and condensing it to the point.
Posted By: jrwoodjoe

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/20/09 08:30 PM

Hey Matt!

I've been following your post and think it is great that you have owned your car for so long. I believe you are going about it the right way by doing your homework, asking questions and talking to some of the qualified shops mentioned above. I'm pretty sure you are on your way to getting the car restored in a manner that will be pleasing to you. Best of luck with it and please keep posting progress in the restoration section of the board. It would be great to see how it all turns out for ya!

Best of luck, Joe
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/20/09 11:27 PM

I am looking to find a high quality detail oriented shop to undertake resto on my 71 Cuda. I am the original owner and I would like the car restored to look like the day I picked it up at the dealer.

Thanks in advance, Matt

Welcome Matt,.......is your car a Red/black vinyl top 340 Shaker car by any chance?

Mike
Posted By: MLR426

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/22/09 02:10 PM

Matt,

In looking at these shops you also need to take in account the attitude of the shop owners and
also talk with the employees to get a some what idea of the charecters your dealing with. The shops mentioned all have talent and come highly reccomended by many here on moparts.
I personally know Ken Mosier of Finer Details,Troy Angelly and Paul Jacobs of Jacobs and Angelly Restorations. I think both would do a great job with your pride and joy ride. First impressions go along way. Both above have a straight forward no nonsense, no bs approach to handling all issues that come up during the restoration which means they discuss with you the owner of the vehicle any issues that involve work outside the norm. That way there are no surprizes with charges etc. I'm sure many shops have that same approach but some don't.

logan426
Posted By: TONY_DAGOSTINO

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/22/09 04:32 PM

hi

there is alot of great advice here

there are a couple of things that should be taken into consideration, and i have had personal dealings with just about all of the shops listed here and feel they are good shops.

1- i know our cars are all labor of love and usually have some degree of sentimental value (especially yours being that your the original owner), but there has to be some kind of $$ ceiling that your willing to invest in your resto work.
the problem that i have found is that most shops wont give you a ceiling price, in their own defense they say "we dont know what were getting into" that only holds water if the car has areas of unknowns such as rust, prior work covering mistakes, etc. so if nothing else try to get a worst case scenario price quote. they must have some kind of idea as this isnt their first go around + its hard to turn back once your 1/2 way thru the resto + out of funds.

another aspect in ref to pricing, there should be a cap on payments per aspect ie:
when the car is stripped $$ not to exceed,
when the car is in prime $$ not to exceed,
when the car is painted $$ not to exceed,
etc etc,

that way even if you do have a ceiling it wont be reached when the car is only 1/2 done (that happened to me once)

-- i also think its a great idea to be able to visit the shop at least once a month, or get very well detailed pictures, but being there in person is the way to go

--also, you mention you want it to be like when you picked the car up,
thats going to require alot of parts hunting and chasing, because repro parts werent on your car when it was made,
so either your car has to be a great survivior, which takes care of the parts chasing but then you probably wouldnt need to restore it, or hopefully its very original and you have the orginal parts for reference.
or you can go the year one route + make life easy.

another issue to address is that most resto shops can do beautiful work, but how many of them really know about the correctness of every nut, bolt, clip, widget, etc as far as whats correct or not. because if they dont know, then your resto wont be correct. you have to know what you want and so does your resto shop, so spend alot of time in the survivior tent with a digital camera for reference points

but, you should start gathering for whatever original parts you need now, because parts come and go, but youll always be able to get the labor done.

ive been parts gathering for 4+ years for my next resto + still have a few to get.

also ask for a time frame, not to rush the shop, but so you know what to expect.

good luck + keep us posted

tony

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/22/09 05:00 PM

ps
also ask which aspects of the resto will be subletted out at an addtional fee
Posted By: DartGTS

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/23/09 07:59 PM

Hello:
WOW WOW you asked and you certainly got answers...first congrats. on owing your car since new. Not many of us around..I have had my GTS since new as I ordered the car.
As I have always said "it's your car do what makes you happy. "Over restored or "OE"? First question how much money you got? No matter which way you go the truth is you will never recoup even close to what you will spend..I belive the choice is yours weigh what you have read here carefully...Most of it is good advice, some of it self serving. After you have your car completed you will find if you intend to keep it show worthy
you will spend lots of time on it..little things like a oil seep can ruin the paint on the block, and its not an easy fix, if its done right. Brake lines discolor and fittings corode even in the best of conditions..a small scratch can destroy your 25k paint job..a blown fuse can ruin your day,keeping these cars up is a lot of work, don't let any one kid you.
I'm not going to give you a buch of names of where to go you have that already. I just want to wish you the best in your decision, and hope to see you in a show sometime.

Thank You
Maynard
Posted By: moparmojo

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 10/03/09 04:16 AM

Here is a car I recently saw and Monster Mopar. I believe Ken Mosier at Finer Details did. I am not expert, but some cars just draw you in and you know it was a high quality job. The photo does not do it justice as I thought it was one of the nicer cars I saw that weekend.

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 10/03/09 11:17 AM

I may not know who to call for the job your wanting. But I do know that the money spent makes no difference compared to what you are going to do with it; either sell or keep.

If your going to keep it, spend a little more, wait a little longer. Let it be perfect.

If your going for the green choose whichever one offers you the most money in your pocket.

Easy choice to me. (I'm a perfectionist so of course, I'd do it myself, HA).
Posted By: MLR426

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 10/03/09 01:24 PM

Quote:

Here is a car I recently saw and Monster Mopar. I believe Ken Mosier at Finer Details did. I am not expert, but some cars just draw you in and you know it was a high quality job. The photo does not do it justice as I thought it was one of the nicer cars I saw that weekend.

Your correct picture does no justice, this is an absolute beautiful purple hemi challenger and it
also won best of show last weekend at monster mopar, very nice car !!!!

logan426

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 10/04/09 01:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I gaurentee I can tell you which is which

Please do not take this response as being combative. Last year, a guy on this forum told me that "I was going to eat crow" because I said that the Challenger we were restoring would look like a factory correct vehicle when it was completed. He was obviously judging our efforts by his own shortcomings, limitations and understanding of the project. If you have ever tried to do an OE Factory type paint job, you would realize that the skill and effort is ten times more involved than simply spraying paint, sanding and buffing. It is the later paint process that is performed by a novice so they can hide or fix their inability to correctly apply the paint to begin with. As far as your "gaurentee" to tell a factory job from an OE restoration, I will gladly take you up on that challenge. Make it a point to come to next years Mopar Nationals and I will guarantee that your ability to distinguish the difference will not be as easy as you presume.
Please accept my apology for abbreviating your previous quote and condensing it to the point.

no appologies needed but I can tell the difference from new paint and OE paint and that is something you can never reproduce.
i'm not putting down your work or abilities as I know it takes more work and skills to do an OE style paintjob and have it come out clean and not have to buff it.First of all you have to use enamel paint as there was no Basecoat/Clearcoat paintjobs back then.I'm not sure about Mopars but Fords and Chevy's had Lacquer on them back in the 60's and 70's and then progressed to the enamels as they were more durable then the lacquers and had a deeper shine.
I have seen many nice quality rsto's but you can always tell it's not a Surviver with immaculate paint that has survived like new. The OE survivor paintjobs no matter how good of shape they are still reflect and old paintjob as the new paints just have the certain look and fresh gloss. You can kill some of the fresh paint look by going over it with a buffer without wetsanding it smooth but it still looks different then 30 year old paint and that is what I meen that I can tell it's not an OE original paintjob
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 10/04/09 02:35 PM

Life is too short for real OE restorations. Over restore it and enjoy it.

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 10/04/09 07:50 PM

Quote:

I can tell the difference from new paint and OE paint and that is something you can never reproduce.

The age of a paint job has no correlation whatsoever with it being OE correct. What you are actually stating is that you have the ability to recognize the difference between a new paint job with that of a survivor. I would imagine that anyone here could do that! Just because a paint job looks new, does not mean that it cannot have identical traits of a factory OE job. Even the old survivors were new and fresh when they were first built. I would hope no one is naive enough to think that a 40 year old survivor paint finish has the same look that it did the day it rolled off of the assembly line. Our team has already duplicated an OE factory paint job with the Challenger project a year ago. I can assure you that the paint characteristics it displayed were that of a factory vehicle from 1970. I will assure you that the Valiant we bring to the Nationals will also have a 100% correct factory paint finish. Simply being able to recognize the difference between an old and new paint job does not take away from it's correctness. An OE correct paint job does not require that it has to look old and weathered!
Posted By: DartGTS

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 10/05/09 02:54 AM

Hello:
Since we are on the subject of paint, let me add my 2 cents worth, now i'm not a painter and don't claim to be expert on the subject. A lot of numbers go by when you talk of full restoration on a car. I hear a lot of talk these days of full restorations going for between 25K and 45K. If you consider that a very decent paint job is going to cost you around $12k to $20K on a car that needs full prep. (not fresh restored) Then we are looking at around $10K to $20K on a full restore. (should be a little less because most of prep work was done during restore.)
That leaves us with about $13K to $25K for body / interior / drive train / suspension brakes.
That looks like a awful lot of work for $13 to $20K.
For your information my car has been repainted back to factory color. I like it the way it is
now. It was in pretty tough shape.
Thanks
Maynard

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/09/10 02:45 AM

I thought I would give an update. I originally posted this thread when I started my search for a quality restoration shop to work with on my projects. After talking with and visiting many many shops 1st hand, all over the USA. I did choose to go with Mike Mancini's shop American Muscle Car Restorations in Rhode Island.

We are well into the restoration and so far I am more than pleased with the professionalism, quality and attention to detail. The organization and execution of the restoration process is very impressive to me. We are performing and OEM style restoration on my Duster currently and then my Cuda next.

I encourage anyone looking for a reputable place that knows what they are doing to give Mike a call. I am 100% satisified and then some.

Thanks for the great job Mike!

Matt

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/09/10 03:12 AM

thats where my daytona is

mikes great

has great passion and knowledge well beyond his years for these cars
Posted By: Finoke

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/09/10 01:13 PM

I agree with Tony above. Most of us learn these things only after restoring a couple.
Posted By: Slap Shot

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/09/10 10:38 PM

stay far away from John Balow at Muscle Car Restoration in Wisconsin we just pulled our 1965 A-990 Plymouth out of their shop for very unsatisfactory work and poor customer service. to much to list here email me for more info

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/10/10 12:13 AM

Quote:

5) Resto Rick, WI
6) Finer Details, IN

Good list! My advice, call each and every one of them and have a chat with each owner about your budget and goals. If you are going the OE route you might want to spend a few bucks up front visiting a couple of the shops and asking for references before committing to one of them. Go with the one you feel most comfortable with.

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/10/10 12:31 AM

There's also there's guys.... American Muscle Car Revolution ... They currently booked solid but I'm sure they'll need new customers in the future
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/10/10 01:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

5) Resto Rick, WI
6) Finer Details, IN

Good list! My advice, call each and every one of them and have a chat with each owner about your budget and goals. If you are going the OE route you might want to spend a few bucks up front visiting a couple of the shops and asking for references before committing to one of them. Go with the one you feel most comfortable with.

This is a good list. I will be monitoring this board on the process of it all. Cudakid-maybe put it or have the Mods put it in the resto part of the site? Hopefully, Mancini has been and will, provide plenty of photos of the resto in progress for all to see to you. Or if you have the progress photos, post them?

Also, as I was reading this post about your car, I thought of this question: Did you take pictures of he car as is before the restoration to give to any of these shops or did anyone of the shops named above see the car to get some sort of "feel" or "ballpark" as to an estimate?

INOP I think I would provide pictures or have a shop take a look at the car to see first hand what they are dealing with, or both. I dont know board, thats why I'm asking. Trying to get a grasp of how shops to this first hand before I get into this. Thanks

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/10/10 03:29 AM

In regards to shops capable of the highest level of restoration it's good to know that IF you decide to go to the O.E. level there are proven examples of shops capable of achieving your goal based on their knowledge and skill level if you have the desire and budget to go that way. Here's an OE car that Rocket Restoration recently restored, it acheived OE Gold at 2 different events, both the ICCA and the Mopar Nationals judging staff.

Attached picture 6187598-DanMarinoff71Cuda.jpg

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/10/10 03:30 AM

Paul Jacobs also pulled off double OE Gold awards from the same two judging bodies with this 69 Dart.

Of course either of these shops can perform less intensive work as well, it's all about what the customers want.

Attached picture 6187599-ICCA69DartRear.jpg
Posted By: shakerjoe

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/10/10 02:19 PM

Quote:

I'll give you the names of our current and past customers and let them tell you about us.

You won't find a shop anywhere that gives you the quality you want AND price as well as we do.

Call me, Tim 404-234-1000. We are 3 guys with over 100 years of collective experience and we can get started on your car right away. No one with less than 30 years of experience will ever touch your car at our shop!

It's worth shipping to us. We've done cars from Toronto to New Orleans. We have one in the shop now from NYC and another on it's way from WA state.

Check out our MAX price guarantee and let me put you in touch with our customers.

Thanks!

Is this the same shop/are you the same guys in the other thread 25K max labor saying that now you have only 2 guys and you don't know how to do paint and body ? And you're answering this thread ? Call me crazy but am I misreading something here ? I'm just as curious as everyone else to see the results of the mopar you're doing, but I thought I read you're not taking on anymore work for the forseeable future till you complete your own projects - correct me if I'm wrong...
Posted By: BS27ROB

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/10/10 03:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks!

Is this the same shop/are you the same guys in the other thread 25K max labor saying that now you have only 2 guys and you don't know how to do paint and body ? And you're answering this thread ? Call me crazy but am I misreading something here ? I'm just as curious as everyone else to see the results of the mopar you're doing, but I thought I read you're not taking on anymore work for the forseeable future till you complete your own projects - correct me if I'm wrong...

You're right, but the post you quoted is almost a year old.
Posted By: jrwoodjoe

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/10/10 03:01 PM

Quote:

I thought I would give an update. I originally posted this thread when I started my search for a quality restoration shop to work with on my projects. After talking with and visiting many many shops 1st hand, all over the USA. I did choose to go with Mike Mancini's shop American Muscle Car Restorations in Rhode Island.

Matt

Dang guys, did you even read what the OP posted above? Regarding, Tim's post (25K max resto), it was an older post from when the OP was first looking so it was prior to his recent decision to not take on any work.

Reading IS fundamental.

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/10/10 03:17 PM

I think the MOST IMPORTANT thing to know when looking for a shop is to know UP FRONT what YOU want...

Do you want an OE Gold winner
or
Do you want a clean "local show" winner

big difference
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/10/10 03:53 PM

I've started doing "driver oe" type cars. Keeping the spirit of the cars originality but using modern processes. In short OE looking cars but durable for summer fun. Bridging the gap I guess you could say.
Posted By: Mike Mancini

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/10/10 10:56 PM

Thanks Tony & Matt for the compliments.

To avoid any confusion I want to clarify my shop's name is Mike Mancini's American Muscle Car Restorations, Inc. located in N. Kingstown, RI.

I have NO affiliation with the american muscle car revolution guy or his 25K max labor offer.

Thanks
Mike
Posted By: Mike Mancini

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/10/10 11:01 PM

I have also had the pleasure of seeing Rocket Restorations and Paul Jacobs work 1st hand. Both shops turn out stunning work.

Mike Mancini
Posted By: Mopar Grandpa

Re: Looking for Detail Oriented Resto Shop - 09/15/10 01:00 PM

My V02 paint code '69 Road Runner is currently in Troy Angelly's shop about to hit the paint booth. I knew the car had some issues but after getting well into the project Troy found some hidden rust issues that needed to be addressed. Obviously this meant more time and money.
This is not my first restoration project and I think everyone should realize that an estimate is just that. Until all areas of the car gone over no restoration shop will be able to give you a firm quote. I thought my hood was in good shape with just a couple of small dents but when Troy uncovered the previous "body shop's" work he found someone had ground the metal so thin in an area that the metal would not quit oil canning.
Yep, needed to purchase a new hood.
So always be prepared for the unexpected...it happens.
After Troy gets her in color then it's headed to Paul Jacobs' shop for assembly and detailing. I could not afford an OE restoration but she'll be pretty close to it when she's done.
© 2024 Moparts Forums